Toilet Paper Tubes as Seed Starters

Take toilet paper rolls and tuck in one end to close. Fill roll with potting soil and plant seeds. When seedlings are large enough to plant outside, untuck the bottom and plant in hole the size of the tube. The tube will break down in the soil and feed the plant.

Isn't it great to find a use for something which usually gets thrown away, Mary Ray? I love this idea. Instead of tucking in the bottom, however, I moisten the soil slightly and pack it in the tube fairly tightly. I set the tubes in shallow plastic containers in front of a sunny window in early spring and water the seedlings from the bottom (hence the "not tucked in" aspect). They're all coming up beautifully and almost ready to set outside (we typically get snow up to mid-May so May 20th / 21st is customary for putting things in the ground).

I love this idea. I have run out of containers. So I am going to try this tomorrow. Gardening has become my passion. I have tried 4 over 7 years here in St Pete Fl to grow tomatoes.

This is the first year I have succeeded in growing 2 plants from seeds. I am a newbie so I always welcome cool new ideas. Thanks so much!!!