Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Uses for Twist Ties

0 0EmailFollow
Twist Ties

Certain food products packed in plastic bags are sealed with a twist tie. This is a guide about uses for twist ties.

Solutions: Uses for Twist Ties

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Fine Wire For Crafts

When doing a craft that uses short lengths of fine wire and you happen to run out, you can use the wire in the twist ties.

Hold twelve strips with a pliers over the sink and light the end with a match. When it burns to the pliers, let them fall into the sink, the rest burns off.

With a Kleenex wipe the wires to remove any residue. Your good to go.

This was my idea when making miniatures flowers for my doll house and I ran out of wire in mid winter and I did not want to go out.

By Aunt Rose

Tip: Check Twist Ties For Freshness

When buying bread, look at the twist tie and it will tell you how old it is ... Each day has a different color, as follows: Monday = Blue, Tuesday = Green, Thursday = Red, Friday = White, Saturday = Yellow

By Brenda Cole

Editor's Note: I had never heard of this tip before. I wonder if this system is specific to one grocery store or chain or universally used.

Tip: Craft Ideas Using Twist Ties

Question:

I have been saving the twist ties of trash bags for a very long time thinking I can use them for something. Can you help me in thinking of something I can make with them, a craft or something? I have looked everywhere.

Thank you,

Bonnie

Answers:

Use for Lion's Mane

They can use the "yellow" ones for lion's mane on a round piece of poster board with holes punched for the ties. Also use them for hair (red or yellow ones). They can also be used instead of brads of rings to make little journals or albums. Give each child one when going on vacation or a field trip.

By Wanda

Candy Wreath

If you have lots of twist ties, you could make a candy wreath with them. Poke one end of the twist tie into a styrofoam wreath form. Twist the other end around the "tail" of a candy wrapper. Keep it up until the wreath form is covered.

You could also use them in your garden to tie small plants to stakes.

By Camilla

Make a Ball

Hook them all together and roll them into a ball, put them on a "stick" and put them in your garden. A friend did this (she is gone now) and the ball was bigger than a soft ball! It was unusual and pretty at the same time. She called it her "bread bag ties ball.

By ROSA

Use your Imagination

I have used them for hang decorations in and outside of the house, to hang small pictures on my walls and to keep homemade calenders together.

I have a few in my fishing tackle box to keep hooks and sinkers seperated, even color coded. I once used a bag tie for an emergency button on my pants (Would also work on shirts). They are good for tying up excess speaker and telephone wires.

I once made little bread tie people much like the Colored electric wire people make. I am not too great at crafts but I got them to stand and hold little bread tie babies in their arms. I would imagine you could make model dwellings out of them. You could use them to make wreaths. Also a way to keep small stuff like Artist Paintbrushes or even pencils together.

How about an old time paper chain made from bread ties. I once made a home made sign at my work with them. It worked The sign stayed up for a long time . It said Keep Out spelled out with bread ties on a piece of poster board. I thought about just weaving a sign out of Bread ties but never got around to doing it.

I guess Imagination makes almost anything possible.

By Mr. Thrifty

In the Garden

I use twist ties a lot in the garden. They can be used to help train roses to grow up a trellis, by twisting the ties around the stem and the trellis, it helps to support them, so they grow in the direction that you want them to. We also use them to tie tomato plants to the stakes. Another great use is to twist them around extension cords that you have neatly rolled up, so they stay organized in a drawer.

By Tammy M.

Tip: Reusing Produce Ties

When buying produce, be sure to use the ties the store provides. These work great for tying things together, wires, food bags, etc. I can always find a use for them.

By Sheri

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!