Using Evaporated Milk

I see that my local grocery store has a sale on evaporated milk. How do I use that? Do I have to dilute it or can I use it straight out of the can? I don't plan on using it for drinking, just for cooking.

Do the same rules apply for condensed milk? Thanks for all of your help.

Melissa from Arizona

Answers:

Using Evaporated Milk

I use it to make super creamy mashed potatoes in place of milk. You mix 1/2 c. evaporated milk to 1/2 c. water for equal 1 c. regular milk. I hope this helps. (08/05/2008)

By mrsbutler2000

Using Evaporated Milk

You can use evaporated milk in recipes that call for regular milk. It gives them a creamier taste. (08/05/2008)

By Sandie

Using Evaporated Milk

Evaporated milk and Condensed Milk are two different things. If a recipe calls for evaporated, you can not substitute condensed. Evaporated Milk is what older folks called "canned cream." They used it in coffee, because it tasted much better than plain milk. We didn't have all the Creamers, powdered, flavored, and liquids as we do now. It can be re-constituted by using the same amount of water. Most usually, folks filled the empty can with water, poured it into the container that held the evaporated milk. It makes very creamy mashed potatoes, puddings, and the like.

It was also used to make baby formula, before there was powdered, liquid, or pre-filled bottles of formula. I can't remember what the recipe was, but it used white cane syrup, evaporated milk, water, and maybe something else. You filled the bottles,added the nipples, and lids, put them into the sterilizer and cooked them on the stove for a specified amount of time. Then refrigerated them. It was hard having to do this nearly every day. Then you had to warm the bottles in a pan of water on the stove, until it reached the desired temperature.

The Condensed milk already has sugar in it. It has been "cooked" or heated to a certain temperature before putting it in the can. It is used for rich and creamy desserts. Lemon pie filling is one of the most used recipe. It is used to make those refrigerated but not baked cheese-cake type fillings. When it was a new item, there were lots of recipes for Ice-Box pies, or desserts. Hope this helps.
(08/05/2008)

By Barb in Tennessee

Using Evaporated Milk

Use evaporated milk as a substitute for milk in about any recipe. It makes great creamed potatoes and cake icing. Here is my favorite cake icing:

• 1 sm can (or less) evaporated milk
  • 1 box powdered sugar
  • 1 stick butter
  • 1 teas vanilla

Beat butter. Add sugar and milk. Add vanilla.

This icing always get raves.
(08/05/2008)

By Blondie50

Using Evaporated Milk

I use both evaporated milk and condensed milk straight from the can without diluting, according to the recipe that has evaporated or condensed milk in it. I also sometimes use evaporated milk (without diluting) in place of regular milk in other recipes, like soup and mashed potatoes. (08/05/2008)

By bluealt

Using Evaporated Milk

Generally you mix can of evaporated milk with enough water to make a quart of milk that can be used in recipes just like you would milk. Makes great instant pudding. (08/05/2008)

By Cher

Using Evaporated Milk

Evaporated milk is a very economical choice (if you find a sale - GRAB IT). I've always used it for cooking whenever a recipe called for milk. Dilute it equal parts with water, or if it only calls for a little, you can use it straight from the can. It seems to add an extra creamy texture and flavor. The added plus is that you can keep it in you pantry until you need milk, and not have to worry about a short exp. date. I also love it in my coffee. Unfortunately the price has sky rocketed for canned milk along with everything else! Now I've resorted to powdered, which is a little more work, but still cheaper in the long run. (08/05/2008)

By doodles

Using Evaporated Milk

Evaporated milk is exactly what its name implies. It is milk with some of the water evaporated out of it. You can get it in regular or 2%. If you want to use it like regular whole milk, you can dilute it. If you want to substitute for cream, use straight from the can. Evaporated milk has the consistency of whipping cream, and can be whipped, if you like the flavor, which I personally don't. It is good in baking or in casseroles.

Sweetened condensed milk has sugar added, and far more of the water removed. (08/05/2008)

By louel53

Using Evaporated Milk

Yes, you can use it in cooking just like regular milk. Using it straight from the can without diluting it at all will give you a very nice creaminess to your dishes. One thing I love to use it for is when making an Alfredo dish. I use jarred Alfredo sauce, dump the sauce into the recipe, then put about half of the evapoated milk into the Alfredo jar, cap it, and shake it really well to get out the last of the sauce. Repeat with remaining evaporated milk. Stretches the sauce beautifully, and gives a wonderful creaminess without being too heavy.

Regular condensed milk is the same as evaporated milk. Do not confuse condensed milk with sweetened condensed milk. They are NOT interchangeable. Sweetened condensed milk is very thick and is usually used in making desserts or candy. (08/05/2008)

By

Using Evaporated Milk
 Evaporated Milk
Substitutions for Milk in Recipes
Freezing Milk
Freezing Milk
Milk Jug Snoopy
Milk Jug Snoopy Craft
🎄