Substitutions for Milk in Recipes

Category Substitutions
When using canned condensed or evaporated milk in place of regular milk, you may need to make some adjustments. This guide is about substitutions for milk in recipes.

I pick up a can of evaporated milk every time I do my weekly grocery shopping. It is very inexpensive and good to have on hand. It can be used in place of light cream in recipes, in place of milk (my mother always made her rice pudding substituting a can of evaporated milk and I still make it that way!)

By Carol from Lancaster, PA

And for those of you on Weight Watchers or other plans, there's FAT FREE evaporated milk. Tastes just the same and the point value is very low.

Can you substitute 2% or any kind of milk for evaporated milk in recipes such as pumpkin pies? If so, how much?

By Linda from Brighton, MI

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Anonymous
Best Answer

A can of evaporated milk is 12 oz. (1 1/2 cup). You would use an equal amount of whatever you decide to substitute.

Evaporated milk is milk that has had about 60% of its water removed through evaporation. It is thicker, richer and has more flavor than whole milk. If you tried to make pumpkin pie with 2% or even whole milk, it wouldn't be rich like it should and probably wouldn't set up thick enough. You could substitute buttermilk. It would give it a different flavor, but might be good. You could also try using cream, but that might be too rich.

If you are worried about the fat content in evaporated milk, you can buy fat free. I have never used it but maybe someone who has can advise you on the taste.

Best Answer

Yes, you can substitute the milk without any problem. I always use what I have on hand. Just cut back on the liquid a bit and you'll be fine, or either use the whole amount the recipe calls for and just bake it a bit longer.

Best Answer

My neighbor lady gave me this recipe that her mother used for years.

Canned Or Sweet Milk

Yield: 1 Cup

3/4 cup Sugar

1/3 cup Water

1/4 cup Oleo

1 cup Powdered Milk

Place first three ingredients in saucepan and bring to a boil.

Pour into blender, slowly add powdered milk as blending.

Blend until smooth

Store covered in refrigerator.

I need evaporated milk to bake my pumpkin pie. I only have consented &1% milk can I dilute or replace to make this darn pie?

My mother always had cans of evaporated milk in the house, she diluted the whole product with 2 evaporated milk cans if water, stirring to mix. We used it for cereal and drinking. It is stronger in taste than regular milk but it taste good.

So how much sweet condensed milk does it take to substitute whole milk?

Best Answer

Sweetened condensed milk cannot be substituted for whole milk. Condensed milk is milk that has been reduced and to which a great deal of sugar has been added. You can, however, substitute evaporated milk for whole milk. Just add the same amount of water as you have evaporated milk; example, 1 cup milk and 1 cup water. Hope this helps.

Best Answer

Condensed milk can be substituted for whole milk in recipes:

1 cup whole milk = 1/2 cup condensed milk + 1/2 cup water

As condensed milk is already sweetened, reduce the sugar in your recipe by 6 teaspoons for each change.

How much evaporated milk needed to make chocolate pudding 3.13 oz

Can I use Carnation (or store brand) evaporated milk the same as whole milk in a recipe? Or is there some "rule of thumb" to go by when cooking with canned evaporated milk? Does it need to be diluted?

By Sandy from Richmond, VA

Best Answer

You can certainly use it interchangeably in recipes. Simply dilute with plain water, (2 parts milk and 1 part water, according to AllRecipes, though I had thought it was 1:1). I think it has a richer flavor, which lends itself nicely to cooking. I always use it instead of regular milk and cream in my "cream of" soups.

Best Answer

Its a 1:1 ratio on evaporated milk not sure whats up with All Recipes. My Joy of Cooking calls for using a 1:1 ratio when substituing for milk in a recipe and its a standard. Straight evaporated milk may be substituted for light cream in recipes. I too believe it has a richer flavor than regular milk.

Best Answer

It usually says right on the can that mixing the evap with an equal quantity of water produces milk that is "not below the standards" for regular whole milk. The 1:1 ratio is best when replacing milk in a recipe, and undiluted evap works well most of the time as a substitute for cream, except for whipping. Evap can be whipped when chilled awhile, but it's nothing like real whipped cream.

It's definitely 1:1. Use full strength when adding to mashed potatoes. Cay from FL

You can dilute it if you want, but I wouldn't, might make potatoes runny after you add butter. I used whole milk or canned milk, which ever I have on hand and use it full strength.

How much evaporated milk equals 2/3 cup of whole milk?

By Donna

Best Answer

As far as I know when you substitute Evaporated Milk for Whole Milk, you have to dilute with water, to a certain amount. Anyway, that is what I remember my late mother doing, but I don't know how she proportioned it. She rarely measured things. I would think for 2/3 cup I would use Evaporated Milk in a measuring cup, up to maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup of milk and fill it up with water.

About Evaporated milk

A canned milk product made from unpasteurized milk which has had 50 to 60 percent of the water removed by an evaporation process. This canned milk product was heavily used during World War II when fresh milk was less available. The product became a household staple and is still used today. It can be chilled and whipped, used to replace half and half, cream or milk in recipes. Also see sweetened condensed milk

Substitute for Evaporated milk

For 1 cup of evaporated milk, substitute 1 cup half-and-half, 1 cup heavy cream OR 1 cup whole milk

Equivalents

5 oz. can evaporated milk = 2/3 cup

Read more from GourmetSleuth.com: http://www.gour  lk#ixzz3NdGee1Zb

Can I use evaporated milk in making mashed potatoes as a substitute for whole milk?

By Marge J.

Best Answer

Yes you can substitute that for whole milk in mashed potatoes. Use it the same amount as you would whole milk. The only difference between evaporated milk and real milk is that it has been heated and made to be thicker. It is just not as tasty to drink straight but it is the same thing.

Blessings, Robyn

Best Answer

Absolutely, and you will love the richer flavor it gives your potatoes! I also use it in my potato soup and you can really tell the difference compared to using regular milk - just not the same!

If you do you will never go back to using regular milk again, because it tastes so much better!

I need 1/2 cup of milk, but only have evaporated milk. How can I substitute it? Help me plz.

By Colleen A.

Best Answer

My late mother used to mix water in with the evaporated milk. I can't remember the proportions, my guess would be until it looked equal to whole milk, instead of as thick as evaporated milk is.

Can I use sweetened condensed milk in place of the whole milk and sugar in a pudding recipe? The recipe calls for 3 cups whole milk and 1 cup of sugar.

I think it would depend what the recipe is and when the milk and sugar is added and how its cooked.

yes-use 1.25 cans

From quora.com: Most condensed milk is also sweetened. You can usually substitute 1 can (14 oz) of sweetened condensed milk with ½ cup of evaporated milk plus 1 cup of sugar and 2-3 tablespoons of melted butter. Failing that, cream and sugar, or whole milk and sugar will work if you cook them down a little