Have Evaporated Milk In Your Pantry

I pick up a can of evaporated milk every time I do my weekly grocery shopping. It is very inexpensive and good to have on hand. It can be used in place of light cream in recipes, in place of milk (my mother always made her rice pudding substituting a can of evaporated milk and I still make it that way!)

By Carol from Lancaster, PA

hi wonder if you would post your recipe for your rice pudding. I have long since lost my one using evaporated milk. It was really good- so much better than the canned variety! Thanks for the reminder:-))

By Chris from PA. (Guest Post)

Evaporated milk is also very good when mashing poratoes. It makes them much more creamier than regular milk.

By Carol from IA (Guest Post)

Thanks for the suggestions! I usually have some evap milk on hand but have only used it occasionnally. I will use it more often thanks to your suggestions. I, too, would love to have your rice pudding recipe if you are willing to share it!

By Melissa (Guest Post)

I've been doing the same thing for nearly a year. It saves on the regular milk.

And for those of you on Weight Watchers or other plans, there's FAT FREE evaporated milk. Tastes just the same and the point value is very low.

Anonymous

Each can of evaporated milk tells you on the label how to mix with water to make regular milk. At least the Pet and Carnation brands do.