Using a Steam Mop

A steam mop is an environmentally way to clean your floors. This is a guide about using a steam mop.

Steam Mop
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Anyone use the H2O mop?

By Colleen from Dayton, OH

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I have an H2O mop and I love it. I have a day care in my home and use it every day after the kids leave. It's easy to fill, gets into corners, uses no soap, so it's better for kids, uses washable cloths, so it's frugal, and works quickly, with no scrubbing...sure saves the knees! The pointed head gets right into the corners and in behind the toilet. Heats up fast and doesn't take up much room. I got mine at Canadian Tire. Zellers and Walmart also sell them. I would advise buying it from a store, then if you don't like it, you can return it without them keeping the "shipping and handling fees".

Best Answer

I have had three H20 Mops over the past 18 months. The first two failed within a few months. Each time Bed Bath & Beyond did the right thing and replaced it. The third one today failed and no longer heats up. This one did last longer than the other 2 (about 7 months, but it had less usage too) and it also had its own problems. The handle could not remain in the upright position. We hated this but felt taking it back was too much hassle.

This product is junk. Customer service is a joke. It's too bad, because when they worked they cleaned nicely. But Thane (the manufacturer) builds a crappy product that won't last, and they will not stand behind it. The "testimonials" on the website, I believe, are false. I have posted my dissatisfaction, and they have never appeared. Nor have they bothered to contact me.

Kudos to BB&B for their great customer service. I understand they no longer carry these in stores. I wonder why?

Oh, the latest wrinkle is that Thane now states the failure is due to not changing the water filter. And now Thane states on the troubleshooting tips on their website that you must replace every 3 months if the mop is used 3 times per week?? The filters on the website are listed for 17.95 / 2-pack. Let's see.... that's 4 filters per year, and additional $36.00 (+shipping). They didn't mention in the ad, did they? They claim you're able to get them at your local retailer? Ask around. The only thing you'll get is a deer in the headlights stare! It's a shame our consumer agency allows this company to bring this faulty product in the US. What a joke.

I am going to try and return this to BB&B. I hope they will refund my money. Of course they should be compensated by Thane, but I doubt that would happen, especially if the vendor support is anything like their customer service!

So bottom line; You are now supposed to replace your filter every 3 months, thus, Thane is simply saying don't expect the mop to last much longer than 3 months. That is their "truth in advertising," I guess.

Stay away and don't waste your money! Save yourself the hassle and forget about buying one of these.

PS: I am sure that some law firm could easily have a huge class action claim against Thane. This is a no brainer!

Best Answer

Gr8 cleaner, but there is no way to lock it in an upright position. I used it for 3 months, leaned it against wall, it slid down and the mop section plastic snapped and broke away from handle unit, rendered it useless. The warranty is up and it would cost too much to ship for repairs, plus cost of repairs, and ship back to me. I don't think I'll buy another!

Read More Answers...

We just bought an older, refurbished home. The contractor/flipper put dark laminate flooring in the livingroom and bedrooms. I have always had reservations about this type of flooring, because of the water spotting, etc.

Has anyone successfully used a steam mop on laminate? and if not, what do you use?

Thanks.

By Barbara

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I just received a steam mop for a Christmas gift and we have laminate flooring throughout the first floor of our house. It is a lighter more natural color laminate and works Amazing! We have no issues with water or anything like that. I have 2 toddler boys and 3 dogs and you wouldn't believe how quickly my floors can become dirty and how quickly they are clean again with the Bissell I have. I love it and will never go back to a regular mop again.

Read More Answers...

I'm thinking about getting a Shark cleaning mop and I'd like to know if anyone else has one and do they like it. I'm not sure about cleaning with just water.

By Mshelly from Hephzibah, GA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yes I have! I use it when I clean houses! It is so good customers started purchasing them. I love it I should be a tester I like to put things to the rest under all conditons I encounter. I rate it high all of them.

Read More Answers...

Do I have to use anything else other than water in a steam mop?

By G H Hunt

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The answer depends on the make and model of the steam mop. Some do work using a specially formulated solution, others can't be used with anything but water (tap or distilled). If you use a solution in a steam mop meant to be run on just water you risk ruining the mop and voiding any warranty.

Check your user guide (owner manual) to be sure. If you've lost the manual you can usually download a free copy from the maker's website.

If you haven't purchased one yet, read all the information on the carton or website product description - be sure to buy the mop that best meets your needs. Some buyers feel a floor isn't really clean and disinfected unless a cleaning solution is used, other buyers accept the maker's promise that the steam cleans and sanitises without the need for additional solutions.

My personal experience is that the steam does the trick - clean and hygienic floors safe enough for a baby:)

One last thing - if you're trying to clean a floor with years of ground in grime, you're going to have to do a 'hands 'n knees' scrubbing (or rent a floor cleaner specifically for hard surfaces) first, before using the steam mop.

Even with pre-cleaning, you'll be amazed at how much grime the first few steam moppings picks up - so be prepared with spare pads! The first time I steam mopped my ceramic floors I was really shocked to see how dirty the pad was - so dirty I wanted to toss it in the nearest garbage bin. That first one never really did look bright white again no matter how many times I washed it in hot water, even with bleach!

But once you get the floor really clean with the steam mop, you'll find once a day keeps the floor incredibly clean without making you want to bin the pad. I love my steam mop!

I am looking to purchase a steam mop or cleaner. I have tried one and was very unhappy with it. There are so many to pick from, I would like to hear from other buyers on what their experiences have been and if they have found one they are happy with. Thank you.

By Elsie J.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a McCulloch MC-1275 Heavy-Duty Steam Cleaner. It is the best cleaning tool ever. It is light weight pull behind like a vacuum. I have had this machine for over 7 years and it is awesome. My friend had the shark. It broke so she got one of these and she loves it. She wanted something she could quickly clean the floors with as the baby was always on the floor. She made me laugh cause she said she was looking for other things to clean with it. I did the same thing.

They sell them at Target.com and on amazon.com. If you take care of it, it will take care of your home. I cannot do my floors anymore and the Lady I have to come in and do it is using it and she wants one for her cleaning business.

http://www.amazon.com/McCulloch-MC- ... avy-Duty-Steam-Cleaner/dp/B0000DF0RB You can go here and read reviews of it.

The pic is of just the machine, has way more to it.

ps. I bought the micro cleaning cloths and use them folded on the floor wand and they wash beautiful in the washer.

Read More Answers...

I am looking to buy a steam mop and am confused as to which one to buy. Does anyone out there have one and/or can anyone recommend a good one?

az2010 from East Hampton, MA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I bought my Shark steam mop from BJ's - best price plus 5 pads. I love it!

Read More Answers...

I have purchased a steam mop and I notice that it leaves more water on the floor than I would like. Any tips on using the steam mop with less water results?

By grandmasusan from Atikokan, ON

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a steam mop and I love it. One of the best things that I have ever purchased. I know what you mean about too much water. I found if you don't leave or keep pushing the button in the on position it helps a lot. Just get it going then shut it off and just use the mop. It works well this way.Good Luck Linda

Read More Answers...

The water in my area is horrible. I love my Shark steam mop, but the water here stops it up. I find if you run vinegar and water in it, it keeps the floors squeaky clean and the machine running great. It also works great for your car window wash fluid too.

By Kimberly from Lakeland, FL

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I recently purchased the Shark Steam Mop and I like it, however it leaves a dull streaky finish on my floors. I have laminate (Pergo) and tile. It's doing it on both. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what did you do?

By AMerrill from Galesburg, IL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We have soft water, and I have the same problem. It works much better than the SwifferJet than we had. I got the Steam Blaster off of Craigslist, so I use it for many applications.

Read More Answers...

I just used a Bissell steam mop on my hardwood floors and in several areas there are white cloudy rings forming as it dried. How can I fix this problem?

By Jacqueline from Benton, AR

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My understanding is you should not use the steam mop on wood. I think the spot might have to be refinished.

Read More Answers...

Does anyone know of a cleaning solution that can be used in the H20 steam mop?

By motleycrew from IN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I agree. I have a Shark Steam mop. You only use water in it. If you have a very dirty floor, you can spray something on the floor and use the steam mop to finish.

Read More Answers...

Can you use the Enviro Steamer mop on congoleum type flooring? It's sheet type flooring, not sticky tiles?

By Linda from Walker, LA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Of course you can use it on linoleum/vinyl flooring. Congoleum is simply the name of the manufacturer.

Can you use a steam mop on pergo flooring?

Sandy from Annapolis, MD

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Absolutely not. The steam will get into the Pergo and cause de-lamination. We use a little Windex on a sponge mop. It cleans very well and dries almost instantly.

Read More Answers...

I purchased an H2O mop advertised on TV. I have contacted Home Trends (since their name is shown as shipper) with a complaint about two months ago. I have never heard back from them. We decided it must be a short in the electrical system. When the mop produces steam and you put the handle down it stops completely. I have never received an acknowledgment from them. Can someone help me?

Leona

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The H20 Mop is manufactured by Thane Direct USA, and you have a one year warranty. You can contact them by email or by sending them a fax. The link is to the Thane Direct website, their question and answer page. If you scroll down you will see a question about the warranty. Their contact information is there. I hope this brings good results for you.

http://www.thane.com/products/housewares/h2omop/faqs.php

I have the Shark Steam Mop S3101A. Instead of spending $40 for 4 extra pads I was wondering if anyone has used the microfiber cloths sold in the stores? Did you have to double it?

Charko from Deerfield Beach, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a late reply but if you still need the pad, you can order it from ebay for about $5 for two. They're shipped from China so it's much cheaper.

I just steam cleaned my wood floors with the Bissell Steam Mop and my floors have turned cloudy and look dirty. Any ideas out there to fix this? Bissell had nothing.

Laura from Lakeland, LA

Answers:

Bissell Steam Mop Made My Wood Floors Look Cloudy

Could it be that the steam lightened up the wax on the floor? It should go back to clear when dry. (04/30/2007)

By Diamondee

I think it is buildup on your floors from the Orange Glow. I used to use this and would get cloudy "areas" whenever I got water on the floors. I ended up having to strip the floors by hand with vinegar and water scrubbing with Teflon scrub sponge, big job, but I'm happy now.

Now I use my steam mop and love it, no chemicals no buildup. I used to like the look of the "shine" from the Orange Glow, but now I realize the original finish of my floors looks great without the buildup. (01/09/2009)

By Jenny

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Anyone use the H2O mop?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'm looking for reviews on a product called the Steam Shark. Do you like it, and is it worth the price? Maryeileen from Brooklyn, OH

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Anyone used the H2O mop (as advertised on TV) and have an opinion on it?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning FloorsOctober 18, 2012
Photo of a yellow rubber glove.
Making Your Own Clorox Ready Mop Pads
Someone using a carpet cleaner.
Using A Steam Carpet Cleaner
Steam Cleaner
Steam Cleaner Doesn't Release Steam
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 24, 2016 at 6:05:46 PM on 10.0.1.196 in 723 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.