Using a Steam Mop

A steam mop is an environmentally way to clean your floors. This is a guide about using a steam mop.

October 20, 2009 Flag

Anyone use the H2O mop?

By Colleen from Dayton, OH

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I have an H2O mop and I love it. I have a day care in my home and use it every day after the kids leave. It's easy to fill, gets into corners, uses no soap, so it's better for kids, uses washable cloths, so it's frugal, and works quickly, with no scrubbing...sure saves the knees! The pointed head gets right into the corners and in behind the toilet. Heats up fast and doesn't take up much room. I got mine at Canadian Tire. Zellers and Walmart also sell them. I would advise buying it from a store, then if you don't like it, you can return it without them keeping the "shipping and handling fees".

Best Answer

I have had three H20 Mops over the past 18 months. The first two failed within a few months. Each time Bed Bath & Beyond did the right thing and replaced it. The third one today failed and no longer heats up. This one did last longer than the other 2 (about 7 months, but it had less usage too) and it also had its own problems. The handle could not remain in the upright position. We hated this but felt taking it back was too much hassle.

This product is junk. Customer service is a joke. It's too bad, because when they worked they cleaned nicely. But Thane (the manufacturer) builds a crappy product that won't last, and they will not stand behind it. The "testimonials" on the website, I believe, are false. I have posted my dissatisfaction, and they have never appeared. Nor have they bothered to contact me.

Kudos to BB&B for their great customer service. I understand they no longer carry these in stores. I wonder why?

Oh, the latest wrinkle is that Thane now states the failure is due to not changing the water filter. And now Thane states on the troubleshooting tips on their website that you must replace every 3 months if the mop is used 3 times per week?? The filters on the website are listed for 17.95 / 2-pack. Let's see.... that's 4 filters per year, and additional $36.00 (+shipping). They didn't mention in the ad, did they? They claim you're able to get them at your local retailer? Ask around. The only thing you'll get is a deer in the headlights stare! It's a shame our consumer agency allows this company to bring this faulty product in the US. What a joke.

I am going to try and return this to BB&B. I hope they will refund my money. Of course they should be compensated by Thane, but I doubt that would happen, especially if the vendor support is anything like their customer service!

So bottom line; You are now supposed to replace your filter every 3 months, thus, Thane is simply saying don't expect the mop to last much longer than 3 months. That is their "truth in advertising," I guess.

Stay away and don't waste your money! Save yourself the hassle and forget about buying one of these.

PS: I am sure that some law firm could easily have a huge class action claim against Thane. This is a no brainer!

Best Answer

Gr8 cleaner, but there is no way to lock it in an upright position. I used it for 3 months, leaned it against wall, it slid down and the mop section plastic snapped and broke away from handle unit, rendered it useless. The warranty is up and it would cost too much to ship for repairs, plus cost of repairs, and ship back to me. I don't think I'll buy another!

Read More Answers...

March 12, 2012 Flag

The water in my area is horrible. I love my Shark steam mop, but the water here stops it up. I find if you run vinegar and water in it, it keeps the floors squeaky clean and the machine running great. It also works great for your car window wash fluid too.

By Kimberly from Lakeland, FL

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 27, 2011 Flag

We just bought an older, refurbished home. The contractor/flipper put dark laminate flooring in the livingroom and bedrooms. I have always had reservations about this type of flooring, because of the water spotting, etc.

Has anyone successfully used a steam mop on laminate? and if not, what do you use?

Thanks.

By Barbara

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Mine is a light color so don't know if that would make a difference for spotting/streaks but I use generic window cleaner and wipe with a soft rag attached to a Swiffer.

I was told not to use my Shark steam mop on my laminate flooring but others say they do. I'm also wanting to know the answer! I read the steam will loosen the laminate wood.

I just received a steam mop for a Christmas gift and we have laminate flooring throughout the first floor of our house. It is a lighter more natural color laminate and works Amazing! We have no issues with water or anything like that. I have 2 toddler boys and 3 dogs and you wouldn't believe how quickly my floors can become dirty and how quickly they are clean again with the Bissell I have. I love it and will never go back to a regular mop again.

Read More Answers...

June 29, 2009 Flag

I'm thinking about getting a Shark cleaning mop and I'd like to know if anyone else has one and do they like it. I'm not sure about cleaning with just water.

By Mshelly from Hephzibah, GA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My Wife has used it, about 4 times. I guess she let it sit too long because it blew a gasket and won't make steam. Being an Engineer she said I should be able to fix it. Apparently it dried out the tube feeding the steam engine water and the hose broke. Both ends of the hose connected to the steam engine are so dried and brittle I threw it in the garbage. I won't buy another, it is dangerous!

I have found a way to get these pads clean. Use a large plastic bowl. The ones you get at WalMart for $5.00 fill the largest bowl 3/4 way with cold water. Pout water into 6 quart pot, put on stove and bring to a full rolling boil. While that heats put 10 drops of Dawn onto each pad along with 2 scoops of 20 Mule Team Borax and 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide. After water boils let cool for 20 seconds and pour hot water over pads. Put lid on bowl and let soak over night. In the morning scrub off any remaining dirt with Bar Keeper's Friend cleanser ( or use whatever cleanser you like).

Both of my pads look and smell brand new. I just mopped and the floors have never looked better.

Yes I have! I use it when I clean houses! It is so good customers started purchasing them. I love it I should be a tester I like to put things to the rest under all conditons I encounter. I rate it high all of them.

Read More Answers...

August 4, 2011 Flag

I am looking to purchase a steam mop or cleaner. I have tried one and was very unhappy with it. There are so many to pick from, I would like to hear from other buyers on what their experiences have been and if they have found one they are happy with. Thank you.

By Elsie J.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am loving my Vac them Steam mop from Shark. It is so easy to use and it is especially convenient to not have to switch from vacuum and then to a mop. I've had two others before this one. The first was the H2O mop and then the smaller Shark. Both just quit working. Luckily, I buy everything at Bed Bath and Beyond so I can use the 20% off coupon. Why pay full price when you can get a discount on just about everything you use?

Anyway....they took back the mops no questions asked. They apply the price to the new mop so I just upgraded to the better mop. Pretty cool, huh? Steam is the way to go..so easy. Hope this helps you make a decision.

I really like my steam mop but my first one also just quit working. I am now on my second. I find it easier to use if you wet the pads first (or keep a spray bottle of water handy) if you are like me with messy people in the home and you have stuck on food and drink when you start. Having said that; let me say also that I probably will not replace this one with another steam mop especially if it only last till the warranty runs out. Good luck!

I have a McCulloch MC-1275 Heavy-Duty Steam Cleaner. It is the best cleaning tool ever. It is light weight pull behind like a vacuum. I have had this machine for over 7 years and it is awesome. My friend had the shark. It broke so she got one of these and she loves it. She wanted something she could quickly clean the floors with as the baby was always on the floor. She made me laugh cause she said she was looking for other things to clean with it. I did the same thing.

They sell them at Target.com and on amazon.com. If you take care of it, it will take care of your home. I cannot do my floors anymore and the Lady I have to come in and do it is using it and she wants one for her cleaning business.

http://www.amazon.com/McCulloch-MC- ... avy-Duty-Steam-Cleaner/dp/B0000DF0RB You can go here and read reviews of it.

The pic is of just the machine, has way more to it.

ps. I bought the micro cleaning cloths and use them folded on the floor wand and they wash beautiful in the washer.?tag=thrif06-20

Read More Answers...

December 26, 2014 Flag

Do I have to use anything else other than water in a steam mop?

By G H Hunt

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The answer depends on the make and model of the steam mop. Some do work using a specially formulated solution, others can't be used with anything but water (tap or distilled). If you use a solution in a steam mop meant to be run on just water you risk ruining the mop and voiding any warranty.

Check your user guide (owner manual) to be sure. If you've lost the manual you can usually download a free copy from the maker's website.

If you haven't purchased one yet, read all the information on the carton or website product description - be sure to buy the mop that best meets your needs. Some buyers feel a floor isn't really clean and disinfected unless a cleaning solution is used, other buyers accept the maker's promise that the steam cleans and sanitises without the need for additional solutions.

My personal experience is that the steam does the trick - clean and hygienic floors safe enough for a baby:)

One last thing - if you're trying to clean a floor with years of ground in grime, you're going to have to do a 'hands 'n knees' scrubbing (or rent a floor cleaner specifically for hard surfaces) first, before using the steam mop.

Even with pre-cleaning, you'll be amazed at how much grime the first few steam moppings picks up - so be prepared with spare pads! The first time I steam mopped my ceramic floors I was really shocked to see how dirty the pad was - so dirty I wanted to toss it in the nearest garbage bin. That first one never really did look bright white again no matter how many times I washed it in hot water, even with bleach!

But once you get the floor really clean with the steam mop, you'll find once a day keeps the floor incredibly clean without making you want to bin the pad. I love my steam mop!

August 17, 2009 Flag

I have purchased a steam mop and I notice that it leaves more water on the floor than I would like. Any tips on using the steam mop with less water results?

By grandmasusan from Atikokan, ON

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Would you let us know the name of it? I have been wanting to buy a steam mop, but I am wondering which kind is best. Thanks.

I have a steam mop and I love it. One of the best things that I have ever purchased. I know what you mean about too much water. I found if you don't leave or keep pushing the button in the on position it helps a lot. Just get it going then shut it off and just use the mop. It works well this way.Good Luck Linda

Purchase the Steamfast steam cleaner with all the attachments from Home Depot. It is amazing on laminate flooring and tile bathrooms and grout. Never leaks water. Charlene

Read More Answers...

February 1, 2009 Flag

I am looking to buy a steam mop and am confused as to which one to buy. Does anyone out there have one and/or can anyone recommend a good one?

az2010 from East Hampton, MA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have an "H2O" Mop. It has a triangular shaped head that actually gets into all the corners! I have hardwood floors and it dulls them, but if you walk around in socks for a few hours, the shine comes back as good as new. I also use it in my bathroom. On ceramic tiles, it works great. Gets in behind the toilet. Easy to use and the cloths go into the washer. I bought extra cloths and do a load of them once a week. I have a home day care and wash my floors with this every day. Love it!

I also bought a Shark Steam mop, mine from Bon-Ton. I honestly didn't look at any other mops. I had seen the infomercial a long time ago for this mop, but didn't want to spend the money on it. Then two coworkers each bought one and they had me sold for sure. It's easy and fast to use, and the two pads it comes with are machine washable.

I bought my Shark steam mop from BJ's - best price plus 5 pads. I love it!

Read More Answers...

February 20, 2010 Flag

I recently purchased the Shark Steam Mop and I like it, however it leaves a dull streaky finish on my floors. I have laminate (Pergo) and tile. It's doing it on both. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what did you do?

By AMerrill from Galesburg, IL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yes! I just got back from returning mine to the store. If you have hard water, or use powder laundry soap to wash the pads in, it will leave streaks on your floor. I was lucky I read this in a review before I used mine, so I got to take mine back to the store. We have really hard water where I live, and I only use powder detergent, so it wasn't going to work for our family! Good luck!

We have soft water, and I have the same problem. It works much better than the SwifferJet than we had. I got the Steam Blaster off of Craigslist, so I use it for many applications.

December 26, 2009 Flag

I just used a Bissell steam mop on my hardwood floors and in several areas there are white cloudy rings forming as it dried. How can I fix this problem?

By Jacqueline from Benton, AR

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use a steam mop on my hardwood floors. The trick is to dry them instead of letting the water dry on to them. When I'm done steaming, I go over the floors with a towel. I stand on it and slide it across the floor under my feet. Shines my floors up nicely.

My understanding is you should not use the steam mop on wood. I think the spot might have to be refinished.

April 6, 2009 Flag

Does anyone know of a cleaning solution that can be used in the H20 steam mop?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning FloorsOctober 18, 2012
Photo of a yellow rubber glove.
Making Your Own Clorox Ready Mop Pads
Someone using a carpet cleaner.
Using A Steam Carpet Cleaner
Steam Cleaner
Steam Cleaner Doesn't Release Steam
🎉
🎄