Wallpaper Will Not Stick to Walls

Category Wallpaper
Couple Wallpapering
Determining why your paper is not sticking to the wall can be a challenge. This is a guide about wallpaper will not stick to walls.

I have tried everything to get the paper to stick. Can anyone help?

Answer Was this helpful? 1

You need to wash the walls well with TSP. There is some kind of a glue or coating that the wallpaper won't stick to.

Clean the walls and paint on a coat of wallpaper primer. Here is a good site of info:

http://homeguid  paper-26490.html

We recently moved into a house where there was only primer on the walls. I had seen on Pinterest where someone had used scrapbook paper to paper walls. I liked the idea and bought some wallpaper paste and archival safe scrapbook paper, and papered one wall to look like a quilt in my sewing room. It stayed on nicely for almost 5 months then the other night I noticed several sheets have started coming off. The paste I used said it was good for pre-pasted or non-pasted paper. Should I have used sizing even though the walls were only covered with primer? Thanks

By C Wilson

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Maybe you can use glue dots to stick the peeling paper back up?

Anonymous

You have to use something like glue dots or the double stick type tape for scrap booking. I did my dining room wall and it looks great. I just used the glue strips for scrap booking that you stick on, peel of the top waxy paper strip, and then stick up on the wall. It's easy to remove and re-position and won't mess up the wall when you take it down.

When I decorated my son's bedroom, the wallpaper just falls of the walls. Can you help?

By Roger from UK

I wonder if you had sized the walls before you applied the wallpaper. You can buy wallpapersizing at your local hardware store or Sherwin Williams paint store.

Apply a coat of wallpaper sizing to the wall if necessary. The sizing helps you slide the paper into place when hanging it. If there is flat finish paint on the walls you are papering, sizing makes the wallpaper hanging easier. The sizing gives your walls a light gloss, which allows paper to slide into place. Apply the sizing to your walls using a paint roller just like paint. It is inexpensive and makes a better surface to hang wallpaper on. If your walls have just been primed, you can skip applying sizing to the walls. If you are not sure whether your walls need sizing or not, it is best to do it because it is quick and makes hanging wallpaper easier.

The question of sizing is interesting. I've papered for over 30 years and only used sizing on one project which caused the paper to fall off. It's a curious thing, works for one person but not for others! Good luck. :)

Another thought is this: I built my home several years ago and was told not to paper for one year. I did anyway, I wanted it to look nice for an open house. Many of the rooms that were papered had problems with the paper staying put at the seams. The moisture in the home after sitting in the elements for months and then the drywall compound etc. creates problems. I was advised to buy a dehumidifier to remove the moisture.

This may sound silly, but did the wallpaper have glue on it? I didn't know that there was plain paper anymore, but I did see it on a decorating show. If the paper was not pre-pasted, it wouldn't stick.

Also, do you mean that it falls right off the wall and rolls up on the floor, or do you mean it just peels off at the corners?

What was on the wall before you put up the wallpaper? Some wallpapers or hardboards have a slick waxy type coating that is "washable", but prevents wallpaper from sticking to it. Vinyl wallpapers are like this.

If the walls were particularly greasy, the wallpaper might not stick either, but I can't see how this would occur in a bedroom. I am thinking of in a kitchen, with cooking grease.

This may sound silly, but did the wallpaper have glue on it? I didn't know that there was plain paper anymore, but I did see it on a decorating show. If the paper was not pre-pasted, it wouldn't stick. Wallpaper will not stick to walls because after some time it fall.

I have recently decorated 3 bedrooms and a living room with no problems at all, but for some reason I have tried to paper the hall stairs and landing and the paper won't stick. One piece has fallen off completely, and the edges of all the rest of the drops have come unstuck. What am I doing wrong? I haven't had this problem with any of the other rooms.

By Charlene

It could be the different temperature,humidity. It could be a different paint finish, such as in the other rooms the paint was flat or egg-shell.

In the stairway the paint might be semi-gloss or gloss and that should be lightly sanded to rough it up a little. Most things won't stick to a hard gloss surface including wallpaper. Try using a wallpaper sizing after you have lightly roughed it up using 120 sandpaper.

I had a similar problem with pre-pasted paper. Even though the rest of it worked fine, a couple of pieces didn't. I bought wallpaper paste and put it up with that. It worked. I think I also sized the wall, too.

We wanted to re-paper a bathroom. We took down the old paper, though it did not all come down, the vinyl layer came down fine, but the paper part stayed there. We used dry-wall mud, as we had also done a wall patch, for part of the wall we wanted to paper, due to a plumbing issue. We mudded the 'seams' between the previous paper strips, and in the area of the new drywall. There weren't many 'seams', but there were a few and then primed over the entire wall. The new paper seemed to go up fine, but two days laster it looks like it only stuck well in the parts where there was no old 'paper' under. The parts where the old paper was under there, even though it was mudded (in places) and primed over, the paper is coming off. I would have thought the primer would have taken care of any 'issues' in different surfaces. But the real question is, what do we do now? Can we take it down, and then put it back up with paste, or do we have to take it all down, buy new, and start over? Do we need to go back and take all that old paper off the wall, first? How? Another note, is that the paper we were using was over two years old, and had gotten a tad wet on one end, at some point (probably during the 'plumbing issue' that had caused the need for the patch to the hole in the wall). It had gotten wet enough to make it 'challenging' to unroll it, enough to make it stick to it's-self, though not too bad, while we unrolled it. It only tore all the way through all the layers in one small area, most of it was just the paper pulling off the back of the vinyl, in small sections on one end of the roll only. Is it possible that the glue is just too old? Or the moisture that caused that problem, must have made the rest of it less 'effective'? Though it did stick on the 'new' parts of the wall, just fine!

Ive papered bedroom wall after taking down old paper but it wont stick

The wallpaper will not stick to only one wall. What can I do to fix it? This is a wall that is only 1/2 the length. This is paper that is not prepasted and from the UK.

By MaryAnne from Cranston, RI