Share Crafts

Washer Won't Spin

I have an older top load washing machine. I agitates, fills, and drains, but it won't spin. It sounds like it is spinning, but it doesn't.

By Michelle Q from Clarksville, TN

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Louise B. 6 2,532 10/12/2012

When my washer wouldn't spin, I called our local repairman who fixed the issue - replaced a part - in about 20 minutes or less. Apparently, the directions how to do this are also on the internet, but it was such a snap for him to do it. He had a few special tools he had made to assist with the repair.

It was a joy to watch him work. I would advise you to get a repair person in to fix it. However, if you can't get one in for a sensible price (mine charged about $65), you could try the repair yourself if you are a handy person who does this sort of thing. I would expect a home handy person would take several hours to do this, however, as the whole cover of the machine had to be removed. It was easy for my repair person, but if you don't do this for a living, it would be much more complicated. BTW - it is not a belt. There are no belts in washing machines.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Henrietta B. 7 18 10/13/2012

We had this problem with an old land lords washing machine. It sounds like the transmission has seized up. They tend to do that more on the spin cycle than any other cycle. It's an expensive fix & doesn't last long and the transmissions are rebuilt. The repair man told us it was best to buy a new one because it is so expensive. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I hope this helps & good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No