Washer Won't Spin

I have an older top load washing machine. I agitates, fills, and drains, but it won't spin. It sounds like it is spinning, but it doesn't.

By Michelle Q from Clarksville, TN

When my washer wouldn't spin, I called our local repairman who fixed the issue - replaced a part - in about 20 minutes or less. Apparently, the directions how to do this are also on the internet, but it was such a snap for him to do it. He had a few special tools he had made to assist with the repair.

It was a joy to watch him work. I would advise you to get a repair person in to fix it. However, if you can't get one in for a sensible price (mine charged about $65), you could try the repair yourself if you are a handy person who does this sort of thing. I would expect a home handy person would take several hours to do this, however, as the whole cover of the machine had to be removed. It was easy for my repair person, but if you don't do this for a living, it would be much more complicated. BTW - it is not a belt. There are no belts in washing machines.

We had this problem with an old land lords washing machine. It sounds like the transmission has seized up. They tend to do that more on the spin cycle than any other cycle. It's an expensive fix & doesn't last long and the transmissions are rebuilt. The repair man told us it was best to buy a new one because it is so expensive. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I hope this helps & good luck.

Home and Garden Repair Appliances Clothing WashersOctober 11, 2012
open washing machine
Spin Cycle Not Working on Washer
A repairman looking at a washing machine.
Repairing a Washer That Won't Drain or Spin
clothes in washer spinning
Washer Making Noise During Spin Cycle
washing machine
Washer is Stuck in Spin Cycle
🎉
🎄