Washing Jeans

Category Laundry
A laundry hamper of filled with jeans.
There are a few useful laundering tricks that can help you extend the life of you jeans and keep them comfortable to wear. This is a guide about washing jeans.

When you wash jeans, be sure to close the zipper before putting them in the machine. An open zipper acts like a little saw blade to catch on your other clothes and make those little holes.

You also have the added advantage of now being able to tell at a glance whether or not the jeans are clean. The clean ones have a closed zipper!

By MarilynLV from Indian Orchard, MA

Top Comment

This is part of my regular laundry routine: I check pockets (often finding tissues and occasionally a little change,) and not only zip, but button. I leave as little chance as possible that something will catch on the rest of the load. Those fastened buttons are also less likely to come off.

Top Comment

Great tip! I usually wash jeans together, but I could also see the possibility of the open zipper getting hung on something and damaging the zipper.

I also close the hooks on bras. They get hung on something every time, otherwise.

Never - repeat - never - dry your jeans completely in the clothes dryer. Pull them out after about 15 minutes in the dryer and hang them up to finish drying. You can hang them over a shower bar or use a skirt/pants hanger. Either way, they will dry straight and keep some softness from their time in the dryer, but they won't shrink and wrinkle up.

I've made this a rule for the entire household, it not only keeps the jeans fitting everyone better, but it makes them last a lot longer. Plus, your loads dry much faster if you hang the heavy jeans, so it's good for saving on your electric or gas bills, and it helps you get through laundry day faster. This technique works well for corduroys and shirts too.

Source: I found the tip about jeans in a book of advice about looking your best at any size. I've always hung shirts and blouses half-dried, but thought I had to dry jeans completely.

By Nhe from TX

This is a guide about keeping jeans from getting wrinkled in the dryer. No one really wants to iron their jeans because they came out of the dryer wrinkled. There are some easy ways to keep this from happening.

A stack of nicely folded jeans.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about cleaning jeans with ground in dirt. Ground in dirt on clothing often needs pretreatment to ensure that it is removed in the wash.

A pair of jeans with dirt stains.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes