Water Damaged Carpet

I live in San Diego, and due to the heavy rains this year now have a drenched corner in my sunken living room. I pulled the carpet up and am replacing the pad underneath, but the carpet still has a water stain. My carpet is a brown/white speckled Berber. I need to know how to clean it, because I have a very heavy/expensive pool table in the living room and it can't be moved.

Tammy in Sunny Diego

Answers:

Water Damaged Carpet

You could try cleaning it with vinegar. Spray white vinegar on it and let it sit for maybe 10 minutes then clean it up with a Bissel green machine. The machine has soap in it, but the vinegar takes out all kinds of stains. You can also sop it up with paper towels. (02/24/2005)

By Sandy

Water Damaged Carpet

"Carpet browning" is a common problem with water damaged carpets. There are specific chemical blends that treat "browning". Use Google.com to search carpet browning for ideas and product suggestions.

Carpet browning is best described as the brown ring around a "waterstain".

Be sure your flooring and walls are completely dry. Use a dehumidifier or large fan to help drying. (02/24/2005)

By beanygurl