Weimaraner - Breed Information and Photos

Weimaraner
These beautiful, energetic dogs are raised to track big game. This guide contains weimaraner - breed information and photos.

Breed Description: Combining endurance and speed, the Weimaraner is an outstanding hunting dog breed. Alert, graceful, with dignified features and a kind expression, the Weimaraner dog breed is blessed with an excellent sense of smell and an effortless, smooth gait.

Group: Sporting Group

Purpose of Breed: Tracking large game

Country of Origin: Germany

Average Size: Ranges from 22-27 inches tall and 70-86 pounds. Color(s):Typically range between shades of mouse-gray to silver gray.

Coat Type: Coats are short, smooth and very dense. This dog breed is an average shedder and requires minimal brushing to keep its coat looking neat.

Grooming: The short sleek coat of the Weimaraner requires moderate amounts of brushing to stay in top form. This breed requires standard care for eyes, pads and nails. Ears should be examined and cleaned regularly.

Exercise Needs: Like most large hunting dogs, Weimaraners need substantial amounts of physical exercise and mental stimulation to maintain their health.

Temperament: The breed is alert and friendly. An energetic and strong-willed hunting dog, the Weimaraner needs an active owner that will take the time to properly train and socialize it. In addition to being a good hunting partner, the alert and responsive Weimaraner also makes an excellent watchdog. This breed is protective and loving toward its family, and if socialized properly exercises ample patience with children. Other family pets, however, may or may not be seen as prey and should not be left alone with this breed unsupervised.

Common Ailments: Susceptible to hip dysplasia, entropin, dermoid corneal cysts, Von Willebrand's Disease, Factor XI deficiency and gastric torsion.

Life Expectancy: Avereages 10-13 years.

Trivia: President Eisenhower owned a Weimaraner named Heidi while living in the White House.

More Information: Weimaraner Club of America

Not a first time dog owner breed. Very, very smart..needs a firm hand. Loved ours mother/son and miss them still after 10 yrs.

Agreed... not good for first time owner. I love my Weim, but he is needy and like most, has seperation anxiety. Very loving and extremely smart. Charley is 80 pounds and sleeps right next to me sharing a pillow!

Speaking from firsthand experience, there is absolutely no reason why a first time dog owner couldn't raise and care for a Weimy, successfully.

It is just like any other important decision -- do your research thoroughly before jumping in. Read about owning and caring for dogs in general and read some books on the breed itself. Talk to and visit several breeders, asking plenty of questions.

Finally, be honest with yourself! Are you impatient? Do you find it hard to be consistent? Are you a professional couch potato? Do you prefer your 'alone time'? Then perhaps this isn't the breed for you.

However, having said that, if you answered, 'yes' to any of the questions listed above, you should strongly reconsider getting any breed of dog.

Weimy's are clever, loving and incredibly energetic. They require plenty of socialization, daily excersise and have a strong need to be part of the pack. Your consistency is a must because they are clever and will every now and then test to see if the boundaries/rules are still intact.

Just do your research and be honest with yourself. You can't go wrong. It took us over a year before we made our decision and we couldn't have made a better choice. She is a wonderful addition to our family!

NOTE: If you can, get a copy of ALL ABOUT THE WEIMARANER by PATSY HOLLINGS. It is a great first step to learning about the breed. Good luck!

My gorgeous Lola just showed up on my farm, very tall and skinny and desperate, a couple of months ago. She had already been spayed at a clinic about 50 miles away, which I learned from a tattoo on her belly. I tried to locate her owner through the clinic and my own vet and advertising, but no luck. She may have been set out by someone who couldn't take care of her anymore. So I immediately learned all I could about the breed and proceeded to keep her with me. I couldn't bear the thought of her going to Rescue or the local shelter. The next thing I did was to get her shots, buy special food for the gastric torsion possibility, heartworm meds, and let her know who's the boss.

She's 3-4 years old and the biggest baby. I already had six other dogs, including a Pom and a Boston Terrier, but Lola moved right in. I had to let her know, and still do about once a day, that I'm the pack leader. She lives in a large fenced yard when she isn't in the house. So far she has brought me three snakes and an opossum for gifts. If anyone is interested in a Weimie, know that they will go after anything that moves. Lola tries to climb trees when she sees a bird. She has to have plenty of exercise and mushies and attention. She's very friendly with other humans, but can knock them down if they aren't careful. She's the first Weimie I've owned, or that's owned me, and I wouldn't take anything for her now. The thing is, know your dog. Know the breed. If you don't, find out about it. I'm a very small elderly woman, but I've kept dogs all my life, and that helped considerably, but a Weimie is not for the faint of heart or anyone who isn't home much of the time. She stays with me constantly, and is the best watchdog I've ever seen. A Weimie will bond with its people and be very loving and gentle, but they are hunting dogs, they are very strong, and they can be fierce. So if you're afraid of big dogs or don't have much time or patience, don't get a Weimie. It wouldn't be fair to you or to the dog. But for those of you who love big dogs and want a wonderful companion, go for it. When Lola gazes at me with her strange eyes and gives me a big slurpy kiss and stretches out next to me to sleep, it's worth it.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Pooter is a one and a half year old Weimaraner. My husband and I were walking through the French Quarter of New Orleans, one Christmas. We saw a man with a box full of weimaraner puppies. All girls and one boy. We took the boy. $100 for a pure breed is good, but they had no papers (not important to us).

We took him to the vet for a checkup. He told us all the "little issues" Pooter had. Inverted eyelashes (they fixed themselves?), a congenital spinal issue that does not allow him to run, sit or walk like most dogs (It doesn't matter to us.) The vet said that Pooter has no idea he has a problem, so it's not a problem. We loving refer to him as "special."

He likes to play with his giant stuffed lamb and chew on his kong. He does love to eat anything. He loves fresh veggies and fruit. The vet says to keep away from onions and chocolate, but I am sure he would eat that too. His favorite is avocado and red bell pepper. He loves bananas and green grapes.

He came into our life fore a reason. A few months after we got Pooter, our older Shepard, Baby, passed away from bone cancer. It devastated my husband, since he had helped Baby come into this world. Pooter will never fill that dog bed, but he is quite entertaining and loving. We are lucky to have him in our life.

By tallblondenurse from Troy, Montana

Pooter (Weimaraner)

Comment Like this photo? 9

Hi there, Pooter is lovely, but I must warn you, I have been told that grapes are quite dangerous for dogs! My puppy loves all kinds of fruit too and would also eat just about everything, but for his own safety, we have to deny him some things!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Pooter is lovely!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

What a beautiful boy Pooter is! And how very fortunate you both are to have each other! A new dog can never take the place of a beloved one who has gone to the Bridge, but they make a very special place all their own.

May you have many long and happy years together.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Pooter is beautiful and SO lucky that he landed with you and your husband who don't mind his "defects." He is a happy happy guy! But, as someone else said, grapes are very toxic to dogs so cut those out of his diet. Sounds like he likes plenty of other things to compensate! Thank you for taking such good care of this baby!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Love the name Pooter! He is beautiful, and I am so glad he has someone like you and your husband to love him for being special. I must add my warning to be careful of grapes. They are poisonous to dogs, and can cause liver damage.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Pooter is a great name. He is a handsome boy. My doggie loves carrots, green beans, apples and his favorite bananas. Grapes are not good for them. You can give him a few but not too many. There is a list of what is ok to feed them. Some things have toxins that do not agree with a dog.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Hello. What a beautiful dog, and I'm so glad he found his way into your lives. Others have mentioned that grapes are toxic to dogs. I would like to add that raisins (being dried grapes) are also toxic to dogs. It was quite a surprise when I read about that. We had had 2 dogs prior to our boxer before I learned about onions, grapes and raisins!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Rogue Marie is an 8 year old Weimaraner. Rogue was orphaned at 5 weeks old, and came into our life very small, very scared and very unannounced. We quickly became mommy and daddy and she, our little girl. She fills our life with so much energy and so many laughs, it's hard to stay down too long!

Rogue's vocabulary is incredible. She can actually differentiate her toys. For example if she brings you her bear, you can tell her you want the "guitar." She'll go back and bring you the stuffed guitar :)

By Carol

Comment Like this photo? 19

Oh how sweet, such a darling, you should be proud, so precious.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Thank you, Jamish! She really is the sweetest thing I've ever known. Her heart is as good as gold and she's a laugh a minute!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

She is a very sweet girl! Aunt Sissy will vote and vote for her!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Thank you, Aunt Sissy!! I have big kisses waiting just for you!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Roxie is a 7 month old Weimaraner. We got our pet the end of July 2011, 4 days before we were to go in and deliver our third baby. She loves to fetch, all day long. She loves to run for the ball or stick non-stop. She is so smart. She is good with commands like sit, lay down, shake, and is getting better with roll over.

By GOGOSWIFE from TX

Roxie (Weimaraner) sitting on grass.

Comment Like this photo? 10

Roxie is so beautiful! Thank you for making her life so beautiful!

Thank you also for sharing her!

Blessings, Robyn

Reply Like this photo? Yes

What a pretty girl. Lovely photo.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

A beautiful dog! Weimaraners are so graceful and majestic.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Cassie is about two, and mostly weimaraner. Living in the country, it's not unusual for a dog to show up in our yard. Since we can't afford to keep every dog that shows up, we just refuse to feed them. Eventually they'll look for another place.

But this dog decided she wanted to live with us. One day, about 3 days after she showed up, I was straightening up my gardening wagon and heard a rustling sound behind me. When I turned, she was in the bag of Sevin eating her heart out.

Of course I got her out and found hubby and told him that we have to either call the pound (They charge $60 to pick up strays) or feed her. He asked me what I wanted to do - and I said, "Feed her."

Of course, the next day I took her to the vet for 'necessary conditioning' and the regular stuff! She's become a constant companion and really loves her home. She loves everybody, and is very gentle and patient with the grandchildren. She was very, very easy to train.

The vet says God dropped a diamond in my lap. She plays with our cats and loves to tree squirrels. I've never known her to catch or hurt one. She just loves to see the squirrels run up a tree. Cassie stays with me almost constantly. Doesn't matter what I'm doing, she's right beside me. When I'm working in the garden, she lays right at the edge (she knows her limit). If I'm sleeping, she's sits (or lays) and my feet until I awaken. When she wants something to eat or a treat, she'll sit at my feet and ''talk' to me. As soon as I acknowledge her need, she's happy.

By Norma

Cassie (Weimaraner Mix)

Comment Like this photo? 18

A lot of my dogs have shown up in my yard too.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Awww. Cassie knew she would find a good home with you. She knew you were going to be kind & loving to her. Thank you for giving her such a good home.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Foxy Roxie is a 4 month old Weimaraner. We got our dog from craigslist, 4 days before we had our baby. She likes to play with her ball and chew on bones .

By AJ from TX

Weimaraner puppy, with pink toenails.

Comment Like this photo? 8
Anonymous

Quite the little diva with those red painted nails ;-)

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I love the fur colors, tones, shiny coats & eyes of that breed. Very pretty girl!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Roxie's a pretty girl! I love the smooth, silky look of her coat. Best wishes to you & Roxie!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Roxie is a 1 year old Weimaraner. We got Roxie when she was 10 weeks old, 4 days before we had our third baby. She loves to fetch and watch over our kids when they are outside. She is a wonderful addition to our family, she fits in great!

Roxie (Weimaraner)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 4

Tawny is 6 this year and she is a Weimaraner. Tawny came to us from a free ad in the local paper. She loves to play tug-of-war with her brothers/sister (there are a total of 4 dogs in the family.)

Tawny (Weimaraner)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Poncho is 4.5 years old and a Weimaraner. I got him at a pet store, 8-2004.

Poncho (Weimaraner)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes