Where Can I Get Free Yarn for Charity Projects?

I have just started to crochet chemo caps for cancer patients. I also am crocheting items for newborns. I have several ladies that are joining me in this fun project. Since I am a senior citizen and have limited funds is there anyone out there that would like to donate yarn for us to use? Any amount of yarn will do. Thanks as we really appreciate it.

By Geri from Berea, OH

Answers:

Try putting up a notice at your church. Put a note on Craigslist. If you are on Facebook or any other social networking site, post it there. Write to the newspaper, write to the yarn companies, write to local craft and yarn stores, etc. (11/02/2010)

By Jilson

You can go online in your area and join freecyle.com, it is free. Persons give away items and others are looking for items. No selling is allowed. (11/02/2010)

By sleepygrandma

I would suggest you visit all the churches in your area and find out if they have a "woman's day" (at my church its called a group prayer time, but only women usually attend). Ask if you may attend these gatherings and ask for donations to your cause and if not ask if the church will put a request in their bulletin/Sunday handout. You might find a lot of women with extra yarn, from projects they finished in the past, willing to donate. You may even find more women willing to participate. (11/02/2010)

By Suntydt

Have you thought to contact any of the companies that make the yarn. They might send some to you. (11/03/2010)

By Lynda (crabby)

I don't know about free, although if you have a senior center in your town you might check there because lots of time people donate yarn to them and they can get overwhelmed with it. I do know if you have a Goodwill store near you and visit it often, lots of times you can find big bags of new skeins of yarn for .50-$1.00. I have gotten it lots of times there. (11/03/2010)

By Cora-Sue

My sister often takes sweaters apart and uses the yarn to make other things. Although it isn't free, you can often buy sweaters at garage sales and thrift stores very cheap. (11/03/2010)

By nikcooks

Fabric
Donating Fabric to Charity
Colorful yarn on a shelf.
Finding Free Craft Supplies for Charity Projects
knitting needles
Using Eyelash Yarn
Trellis Yarn Necklace
Making Trellis Yarn Jewelry
🎉
🎄