Finding Free Craft Supplies for Charity Projects

Formal and informal groups that make projects such as knit hats to donate to charities or for fundraisers often do not have the funds to purchase supplies. This guide is about finding free craft supplies for charity projects.

In order to make scarves, hats, mittens, blankets, and other items for a variety of charities, donations of supplies are a necessity. This is a guide about finding free yarn for charity projects.

A group of friends knitting projects for charity.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I am a teacher at Alexander Hamilton Elementary, an inner city school, in Baltimore Maryland. I am starting a crochet class for my students. I am in need of donations of yarn and needles. Anything information you can send regarding where and how to secure donations would be appreciated. Learning crochet will help students cope with adversities in their lives.

Answers

I'm a teacher. Register at donorschoose.org. You can request supplies or money to buy them.

My mom and I crochet and knit hats, scarves, and headbands for local church groups. We crochet toys for the local school and library reading programs, wash clothes for the abuse shelter, and also pet mats and toys for the Humane Society.

We make beaded bracelets for the Relay For Life walk and sew blankets, headbands, scarves, and hats for the local abuse shelter. My mom is on disability and I am unemployed. We are in need of free yarn, beading supplies, animal/cat safety eyes and fabric/ fleece. If you know of any way we could receive free supplies to continue our charity efforts please let me know. Thanks.

By Amy from Wahpeton, ND

Answers

If there are freecycyle groups in your area join them and ask for what you need. You also might find really good buys on the supplies that you need in the non-profit thrift stores.

All I can suggest is to look for supplies at thrift shops, that's where I get all of my yarn for my projects, as yarn otherwise is too expensive.

Also, look on Craig's List for free items. I get some of mine at garage sales too - a lot of yarn and beads. Also, send out an email to your friends and family members who might have items they no longer want or will use. Ask them to pass it along to their email friends, who live in the same area as you do. Offer to go pick it up, as they might be more likely to donate it. And, any other groups you belong to - like church, etc. contact the right person and request supplies.

I have some supplies. Please supply your address, I will mail to you.
kat

Hi! I am a crafter also. You might contact craft/beading supply websites & ask them to donate their out of stock extra's, etc. Some co.'s will do that, as a donation tax write off on their taxes!Check them out! Hope this info. is helpful! Linda

Have you joined your local freecycle group online? That is an awesome place. It helps to recycle things. It's all free and helps keep things out of the land fill. I have even received a much needed car from there. If you are not a member, you can go to Freecycle.org then find your state and city. Ours has even expanded to have a group for pets. It is truly a wonderful place

Hello. I have a very large scarf that can be taken apart and used to knit other things. If you are interested, please message me with your address, and I will mail it to you.

I need to know where to find supplies. I am trying to find donations for fabrics, buttons, lace, ribbon, and yarns to sew stuffed animals, lap quilts, hats, bags, and pillow cases for the local hospital's pediatric department and ER. As a nurse I see the need for how small handmade items make a world of difference.

Two students from Lincoln University are wanting to set up a project for making hats and gloves for the homeless. We need as much wool as we can to make this happen, does anyone have any suggestions of where we can get donations?
Thank you.

Answers

I did a fundraiser for Marion and Polk Food Share in Salem OR. I crocheted 14 1000' balls of chain to represent the 14,000 kids they feed each month from food boxes.
When done, I donated the balls to the Sassy Stitchers who used them to unravel and make hats for the homeless. We made 195 total and I advertised on Craigslist, and actually went to the thrift stores and they helped a lot.
NOTE: However, I caution you to not use wool. It has to be dry cleaned and your recipients can barely get their clothes clean much less afford that. If your stitch is close enough your acrylic hats will be warm enough to rival any wool hat.
I wish you luck!!

Sandi, you are an inspiration:) What a lovely project to use your crochet skills for, and what an excellent, thoughtful suggestion re using acrylic yarns instead of wool!

@Adeleandmolly - Lincoln University in the UK, or somewhere in the US? If in the UK, many local yarn stores keep bin ends to donate to worthy projects.

To add to Sandi's thoughts on using wool - many people are allergic or sensitive to wool. So far no-one has ever come up with an acrylic allergy or sensitivity:)

Thanks Sunni: It was a labor of love to be sure. Not to get too high up on my soap box but that year people spent 1 "BILLION" dollars on two movies but we can't feed our kids.
And if she goes to the thrift stores and tells them her intentions, they often donate too. I even had the manager or CraftWorld give me a 100.00 gift card so it was amazing how many people will help. I hope she does a bang up job!!

Thank you for your help! Your project sounds really good, what a great idea! Would you at all be interested in getting involved?

Thank you!!

Thank you for your advice, we are in the UK are will defiantly take it all on board,
Thank you!

I am looking for a donation of a Accuquilt Go Fabric Cutter and some dies and mats for my girls' youth program where I teach girls how to sew. We make quilts for sick kids in the hospital. Even fabric would be greatly appreciated. Where can I look for donations?

Answers

I would suggest asking around at all the stores that sell fabric and sewing supplies in your area. Include walmart. Assure them you will put a label saying "Supplies donated by..." their store name on the completed projects.

Freecycle and Craigslist would be my first choices.You could also go to fabric stores and see if they have remnants that they would be willing to donate.

A friend and I volunteer at our local nursing home and we need yarn, embroidery floss, hoops, plastic canvas, and needles. So, if anyone has extra and would like to donate or has suggestions for where we can procure donations, please help. I almost forgot knitting needles and crochet hooks are needed as well.
Thank you!

By Debbie

Answers

Well Debbie, I would suggest you try Hobby Lobby. Find out if they would be willing to make a donation from their corporate office. You can also try other hobby stores in your area if you don't have a hobby lobby. Most companies can use the tax write off.

Your second option is ask the Goodwills in your area for donations. Some have hobby supplies and some don't (and I have been in many Goodwills so I know).

Another thing you can do is ask the local churches to request donations from their congregation for the materials you could use. Make sure when you ask the churches that they know you are looking for the craft supplies and not money. You would be surprised that most churches would be more willing to help gather supplies than acquire the money for them. To make your request more believable you can tell churches they can deliver supplies right to the nursing home or you can pick them up. Ask the nursing home if this is OK and if they want a particular name on deliveries so they know where the stuff goes. Your effort is more believable to the church people if they have a name from someone at the home that can verify your purpose.

Put up signs in Nursing Home for donations from visitors. Put an add in the local paper. Hope this helps. Happy Easter! Karen :D

I have oddball yarn scraps if you are interested in them. They range from large balls to tiny balls of yarn.

Hi Debbie,

I realize you posted this message awhile ago. I use to do a lot of crocheting however, my husband and I are moving and I cannot take the yarn to our new home. I have boxes of yarn and would very much like to give it to someone who will use it for a good cause.
Please let me know if you are interested.
Thanks!!!!

I just moved to Philadelphia and in that move I lost a lot of yarn that I was using to make baby hats, booties, mittens, and blankets. Right now I'm trying to get back on my feet, so I can't buy any at this time. If anyone can give me any suggestions and all info you have on finding donations, I would very much be grateful.

Answers

Try joining your local "Moms" facebook page if there is one in your area. Try searching Facebook under terms like "moms" and your town and county names.
Then ask the moms if they have any extra yarn they'd be willing to donate so you can make these things.

I do this thing with my friends where we make scarfs and hats to give to homeless shelters and children in need. But we can't afford to get too much yarn and it's a really big shelter. So if anyone can tell me where to get free yarn, I would be so grateful.

Thank you.

By princess31657 from Mississauga, ON