Whitening Multi-colored Clothing

I have a black and white dress. White on top and black on bottom. The white has become dingy and looks grey, yellowish, and ugly. Is there some way to get the white, white without wrecking the bottom (black)?

By Sue from TX

Answers:

Whitening Multi-colored Clothing

If it is washable, the way my late mother used to whiten the collars on little girls dresses, was to put a little bleach with water in a coffee cup and dip the collar in there, being careful not to get any of the colored part in the bleach solution. With a dress you would have to use a larger container.

When done with the bleaching part, you would have to also carefully rinse the white part a few times to make sure all of the bleach was out of the fabric. What I do when I have something colored that has white trim is I wash the item with darker colored items, but I use one of those Shout color sheets (I don't think that is the exact name, but they are by Shout and you will find them in the laundry supply aisle). I have had really good luck with them. I have to pay to do my laundry so I can't usually sort the clothes by color category. (01/02/2010)

By redhatterb