Lace Christening Gown Has Yellowed

Over time, stored white clothing such as christening and wedding gowns can yellow. Products such as Oxi-Clean or hydrogen peroxide can be very effective in whitening them. Laundry bluing is also a good choice. This is a guide about cleaning a lace christening gown that has yellowed.

This is a guide about cleaning yellowed lace on a dress. Often a gown or other clothing item that has been in storage for some time will be in good shape except for the lace trim.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I have a 41 year old lace christening gown that has yellowed and I would like to get it back to its original color of white. Can someone help me with this? Thanks.

Kathy from Frackville, PA

Answers

Best Answer

Handwash with liquid blueing, you can get in the laundry section at your local store. Mix the bluing in the water before you put it in or you will end up with blue spots. For rust stains, use a paste of cream of tartar and water let it set for a few minutes then gently scrub it off, you may have to try this a few times.

Make sure you do not use hot water to handwash this vintage item. Lay it out and roll in a towel to get out the excess water and lay flat to dry. This is the best way to preserve vintage items!
Anna

Best Answer

Thank you to all who sent me answers in regards to the yellow christening dress. Today my neighbor and I soaked the dress in the Oxyclean and it came aout beautiful. I could not believe this product worked as well as it did. I would recommend this to anyone needing to remove yellow from an article.

Thanks again.

Kathy from Frackville, PA