Zucchini Rotting on the Vine

I would like to know why my zucchini plants look great with lots of flowers and fruit but when the zucchini get about 3-4 inches they start to rot or go soft? The first fruit I picked was great but since then they have not been good! Thank you.

Luigi from Lorain, Ohio

Zucchini Rotting on the Vine

Sounds more like blossom rot. (BER) That is a sign of lack of calcium. A few possible solutions to cure it.

-Egg shells, best added when you place them underneath the plant at planting time; but you could add into the soil whenever to gradually bring up traces of calcium. I grind my egg shells until a fine powder and add to the soil and water.

--Liming the soil with calcium carbonate (crushed limestone). Best in the winter or off season, or before planting.

--There are commercial sprays available (calcium nitrate & calcium chloride) that you can spray on or around the plants themselves during the growing season.

-- Grind up a couple dozen calcium citrate dietary supplements, dissolve it in water and water your plants.
This will affect all the new fruit. (08/21/2008)

By David

Zucchini Growing
Zucchini Rotting on the Vine
Zucchini Bread
Freezing Zucchini Bread
Trumpet Vine Seed Pods
Starting a Trumpet Vine From Seed Pods
Trumpet Vine Losing Leaves
Trumpet Vine Losing Leaves
Zucchini Bread Recipes
Zucchini Bread Recipes