Ironing is a time consuming chore that many of us avoid when given the opportunity. Keeping clothes wrinkle free without ironing is a great time saver. This is a guide to wrinkle free clothes without ironing.
I decided to try this on a super hot 103 F day when I just could not imagine getting the iron out to work on a load of clothes. Toss an ice cube or two with your wrinkly clothes into the dryer. Run it on the hot setting. It totally works! It steams the wrinkles right out. Pictured is a work shirt that usually comes out of the wash completely wrinkly. Amazing!
I so hope this works for you! When it worked for me I was soooo grateful! Enjoy!
I travel monthly for business and the steam shower method works wonders in hotel rooms. In fact, I learned it from my dry cleaner. It simulates what they do in the store except they spray steam at the fabric. I can even use it on delicate fabrics with no risk of harm.
1) When staying in hotels, I steam my clothes while I shower. No waste of water.
2) For most people, water is a naturally renewable resource (through evaporation), electricity normally isn't.
3) Electricity is MUCH more expensive than water (and the gas/oil it takes heat the water for 5-10 mins) here in NYC and most cities.
4) Apartment dwellers don't pay for water but we do pay for electricity
5) Apartment dwellers usually don't have dryers but we all have showers
6) Using the dryer puts wear on the motor and heating elements. Turning on the shower puts no significant wear on anything
Three more, which are actually important for clothes:
7) Heat in the dryer can damage delicates. Steam in the shower cannot exceed 212F, and it's usually significantly less, making it safe for all fabrics.
8) Tumbling in the dryer rubs fabric against fabric, causing static. Steam (aka humidity) actually decreases static. That's why you only get static shocks in dry Winters.
9) Tumbling in the dryer rubs fabric against fabric, causing wear. That's what lint is. It's bits of fiber rubbed off clothing. Steaming causes no wear or damage to the fabric
Okay, I'm done. :)
This tip may not save a lot of money, but it definitely saves time. Ever have a dryer full of clothes that you didn't get hung up or folded right away?
I have found that when clothes are wrinkled from sitting in the dryer too long, that if I put them in a damp towel and run the load for five minutes all wrinkles will disappear.
I have Dorothy original curtains. Some cover triple windows. When correcting mistakes and taking the bow off it leaves horrible wrinkles.