Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
This is a guide about removing black mold on the ceiling. Black mold can be difficult to get rid of anywhere in the home, but the ceiling can be one of the most challenging.
Home Depot sells a spray called Mold Armor that works great in 5 minutes and takes away the mold. It has a strong bleach smell.
Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
Our bathroom is growing nasty black mold and I'm not sure what to do. There is hardly any ventilation only a small window at shoulder height which we open as much as we can. Has anyone else had this problem? How did you resolve it? If anyone can offer any advice - even about a good way to get rid of this yucky mess I'd be so grateful. Many thanks in advance.
Some bleach and water should do the trick. Just make sure that the room is well ventilated. We had a small patch of mold that showed up in the corner of our shower. I sprayed the ceiling with a mixture of bleach and water and it took care of the problem.
Marge from NY
As Marge from NY said you can use bleach to kill the mould. To prevent it coming back you are to have to remove the moisture - either with more ventilation or maybe using a dehumidifier. Otherwise it will come back if there is too much moisture.
If the mold is on the walls, you might have a water leak inside the wall. Black mold is dangerous for your health and breathing, so be careful dealing with it. Also a dehumidifier may help slow the growth since there is no ventilation.
black mold is very bad for your lungs, please take some THE WORKS, from big lots and apply with a big cloth leave the bath and do not be in the area for a few hours.... shower off the walls and that should take care of it . the works only cost 1.00 at big lots..... use fast and go shopping while it works......
Something that as work great for me is to put a double fan in the window.
this is what I mean: http://ec1.imag /419MMFEX2ML.jpg
It doesn't quite fit in my tiny window so it's sideways but it still gets the moisture out since you can set it on reverse and it pushes air OUT the window.
Even works better than a dehumidifier.
After you get the mold problem taken care of, here's what I do. I have a fan in the hall blowing fresh air into the bathroom (and displacing the humid air), and a small fan in the bathroom turned toward the tub/shower to dry it quickly. Mold can't grow when things are dry. Someone wrote in another time stating that she sprays the shower down with a diluted bleach solution (but I bet a vinegar one would work too).
We had the same problem in our bathroom. Our house was built in the 20's and the window did not open. We got rid of the mould and added a bathroom fan in the ceiling. We got a really powerful one, it's loud, but we have never had a moisture problem since.
I speak from experience - bleach is the best thing to kill mold. Get a ceiling fan installed and also buy some of those moist absorbing crystals ( you get them in the bathroom cleaning isle. We had this problem and even though the window was constantly open - it did not allow enough air in to dry up air. If you have a really stubborn problem dry the mold out with a hair dryer before you clean and then dry the area again after cleaning (wait several hours). Make sure the area is well ventilated and that you wear gloves and other necessary protective gear. Good luck
Sweety, black mold is deadly my sister-in-law just passed away due to black mold in her lungs. She was only 39. Please be careful.
Editor's Note Here's a link from the EPA about Mold:
Home Depot was advertising a product for getting rid of mold. I don't know if it works from personal experience, but the name of it is
Concrobium Mold Control.
I was watching HGTV they used clorox and water in a spray bottle.
You can also try a solution of 20 Mule Team Borax and water. Borax is a mold and mildew inhibitor and will help keep it from returning.
Use a bathroom ventilator, you install in the ceiling but before that, use sugarsoap to clean it up. Repaint ceiling with ceiling paint and add mold stuff in, ask at the paint shop.
What is sugarsoap?
Recently with all the rain and dampness in San Diego, I just noticed black mold and mice feces on my leaky enclosed back porch. I am at my wits end, as I cannot afford to have my house tented, and I have a 2 yr old dog that follows me out there. It's got 1975 indoor-outdoor carpeting which is a wreck.
Is there any solutions I can use out there to get rid of the mold and make it a hostile environment for mice?
Hearts1 from San Diego
I don't know about the mice but I know about the mold because our climate is very damp and we have this problem a lot. Undiluted white vinegar will get rid of it. You can use it with a paint roller for large areas or on a sponge in hard to reach places. Once you get mold it tends to come back but you can do this as often as needed.
Take the carpet out, you can the clean the wood below much easier with disinfectants and such.
To get rid of mold make a mixture of one part bleach and two parts water and paint or spray the mixture on the mold. If it is mold it will disappear in a few minutes. Toss the carpet and you can buy mouse traps at Wal Mart that trap the mouse and you won't see the critter.I would not use pesticides like D-Con because your dog could eat the stuff.Also wear eye protection when using the bleach mixture. Vent the porch to prevent the mold from coming back.
I have a gross mold problem on the frames of most of my windows. I rent the house, so I don't want to spend a lot of money. But it is driving me crazy. It is nasty. Any ideas on how I can get it off or prevent it in the future would be appreciated. It is so bad it is causing some of the paint to peel.
Thanks so much for any help,
I would get in touch with your landlord and describe the mold problem exactly as you've done here. Mold can cause health problems, besides being unsightly. As a quick temporary remedy most common mold can be treated with a solution of bleach & water. 1 cup bleach to a gallon of water. Wipe everywhere on the frames that you see mold. Try to ventilate the house by opening the windows if that's practical this time of year. Again, I strongly urge you to discuss this problem with your landlord, since the chances are great that the mold will return, and possibly cause you real health problems.
I agree with Tressa. But to kep it from coming back make sure you have good circulation in front of the window. We have the same problem in a house we own in the original windows. We are replacing them as quickly as possible. but in the mean time we have to live with old drafty windows. After I clean them, I just make sure I open the blinds every day and don't keep the drapes drawn.
You can buy "Kilz" at any home supply store to get rid of the mold.
We have wet wood under the sink cabinet and in the corner cabinet from the dishwasher. It stinks! The contractor removed the bottom floor panel and it was black and very wet. He sprayed all around with bleach. He told us to put fan to it so that it would dry. However it is very wet still. I worry about mold. The house is a rental. We do not know how wet it is under the wood of the sink and other cabinets What can we do or ask?
By J Page
I have a side porch which sits on a cement slab. The roof (aluminum) and the vinyl walls have developed this mold. I do not have the ability to spray wash the house. Is there a way to make a paste of the bleach so that it does not fall on me as I try to reach the ceiling with a mop? It would almost have to be like paint so that I might rinse it off in the same manner. Thank you.
By Merry D from central FL