How do you clean black soot from a grease fire off textured walls?
By Brass from IA
Textured walls will be hard to clean. But you could try a dry cleaning sponge. They are chemically treated and work well to clean soot and smoke damage from fires.
You could also try a mix of tri sodium phosphate and water.
I have just painted my rooms in my house and over the winter I burn candles. Now I have black soot like material on my walls. Anyone have any easy idea on how to get this off? I work 65 hours or more a week at the hospital as a registered nurse and I don't have too much spare time
Had the same problem--burned candles and got this awful black soot all over the walls and ceiling and carpet edging of my newly constructed house. Was able to easily remove the soot by first vacuuming and then wiping the surfaces down with a dry cleaning sponge--the great part about it is that no water is involved so you don't get streaking on painted walls! :) The sponges get rid of the oily film the soot is made of. I found them online at parish-supply.com--very economical, as one sponge will go a long way---and it doesn't take long to clean. Since then, I the routinely clean the whole house annually with the sponges. Good Luck!:)
Rubbing alcohol on a clean rag. If you put it in a spray bottle you will get drips.
I would like to know how to clean soot off of the walls.
By Blake from Flowood, MS
Use TSP made by savagram. You can get from hardware store. Follow directions.
How do you get the black soot off the wall and ceilings when the furnace blows up and blows it out the vents?
Get some arm and hammer eraser sponges, they have something of the same product in dollar stores.
My husband and I are buying a house. On one of the visits to the house we saw what we thought was dirt on the walls and the carpet. Since then we have discovered that it is more likely something called black soot deposition. There are many causes, like a gas stove, fireplace, etc., but from the research we have done we think it is from candles burning. Every time we have been there candles have been burning. My question is how do we clean this soot off of the walls and the carpet? Thank you,
Liz from Georgia
Sounds like there is a cover up going on. In TX, the buyers pay to have an inspector come in and check out the house from stem to stern. Many years ago, they didn't have much training, but now there is an official check list and these inspections can take hours. I'd like to suggest you find yourselves a house inspector because it is cheaper in the long run to not buy that house, than to get one with mold.
Before you select an inspector, ask to see the check list and about their training. You don't want someone to pop in and leave a half hour later like we used to have done years ago. You could even ask the sellers to pay for the inspector's bill as a condition of the purchase and see if they panic. (08/12/2005)
I agree with Holly. A house inspection costs about $350 (in the Pacific Northwest) but it is well worth it. They go over the home thoroughly top to bottom and check everything. They give you a written report which can help with negotiating the price if there are problems. I'd also recommend this to anyone getting ready to sell a house because you can get problems fixed before an inspector goes in for the buyer.
As for cleaning off soot, the best thing to do is try to brush it off. As soon as you use water it can just spread it around. Get as much off as possible while it is dry and then use a good all purpose cleaner or possibly even a magic eraser.Susan from ThriftyFun (08/12/2005)
How do you get soot from ceilings and walls off after a kitchen grease fire? I have tried the commercial cleaner with no luck, and also tried Mr. Clean and ammonia. Please help.
By Susan from Hamilton, ON
I agree with the person who said the candles burning may be covering up the smell of mold. I go to a lot of estate sales, so I've been in lots of people's homes. You'd be surprised by the number of people who have problems with mold. Make sure there is good drainage around your house to prevent mold. Never buy a house with a mold problem. There may be mold in the walls and other areas you can't clean. Bleach kills mold. (03/27/2009)
By Scooter 2
My boyfriend turned the wrong burner on the stove on, which happened to have a plastic Folgers coffee can (empty) on it. Needless to say, the can melted into the stove (which we got clean), but the painted walls and ceiling are covered in soot. Are there any suggestions on cleaning this up without having to repaint (its a rental house).
Thanks ahead of time.
How do I remove black soot from walls?
By Molly from Philadelphia, PA
The first layer is going to be very messy. You want to get lots of soap and water on the wall with a scrub brush or sloshy rag, but be prepared to catch the soapy water right away with more rags. Do just a small spot at time, about 4-5 inches in diameter. Work towards center of spot, don't just move the soot around. The first batch of rags/towels probably will have the majority of the soot, just toss them and don't try to rinse them out, it will just spread soot all over the place. Second batch of rags/towels use fresh soapy water, and repeat.
Soot is black carbon with an oily quality. You just want to remove it, not spread it. So wipe and scoop towards the center of the area you are cleaning. Toss as necessary. Finally you will get down to the bare wall again, maybe wash/wipe with something that smells nice. When it dries look at it again. Does it need more washing?
One can often find a paint recycling center where you can get paint for free or almost free. You might not have to paint the whole room, just the wall behind the stove. Rollers can be found at dollar stores. It doesn't have to be a spendy deal. Craigslist might have free paint as well. (05/19/2010)