Decorating Straw Hats
Straw hats, large and small, are fun to decorate as an activity at parties or to hang on the wall. This is a guide about decorating straw hats.
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
I found a cute set of mini straw hats and then found one that they would fit on and went to town!
Total Time: 2.5 hours
- 1 10" straw hat
- 12 2.25" mini straw hats
- 1 glue gun
- crochet thread, any color
- 1 crochet hook size F
- 1 large button with crochet thread sewn in
- 12 mini buttons
- Measure your mini hats so that you know how many will fit. Mine was 12 perfectly, but you might find 11 does as good with a small gap between them.
- In doing edgings, it is always good to "crochet as you go" rather than chain something and have it too long or too short. This stitch is perfect as it creates a shell affect as it goes. With a size F hook and a double strand of your color choice of thread, chain 3. Make a half double in the first chain and a double after that. This makes the shell a little "pointier" than two doubles, but you can do that too.
- In keeping with the thread affect, I filled each of 12 white buttons with thread (as though sewn) and then glued them onto the top of each mini hat.
Related Content(article continues below)
- I made a crochet center for the top of the hat and did the same with a larger button and glued them on.
- Using the glue gun, secure one crochet shell onto the small hat. Then, do 2 or 3 at a time and secure all of them down.
- Once they are all done, position them around the large hat brim before you glue. Nothing is worse than having no room for the last one! When you know your mini hats work, glue them on and don't spare the glue. The brim will want to bend up on the big hat so you have to give it lots of glue and time. Press down on them for at least 30 seconds, pressing on each of the 7 shells to make sure it dries evenly.
- I made an edging of the same stitch and glued it close to the brim underneath.
- The last step was to make a hanger by crocheting 30 stitches and then slip stitching back on it. I then glued it to the brim so it is even.
- Hang it and you are done!
VARIATIONS: You can do this in many ways. Make each edging of the mini hats a different color. Add a button to match. Keep the white one only on the top and don't make any of the others white, this will keep each mini hat and the button on top separate. On the top you could use a flower, or other embellishment. Leave the edging plain or add some other color or stitch for it. Mix it up and make yours unique like this one.
Mother's Day Flowered Hat
This is a simple, very inexpensive project that you can make for your own front door, but also makes a great Mother's Day gift for a mom or grandmother.
Approximate Time: 20 - 30 min. will require additional time if you paint the hat
- used straw hat
- spray paint
- metal ring (optional)
- wreath wire (optional)
- silk flowers - can be previously used
- quick-dry craft glue or glue gun
- pop-top ring from can, cafe curtain ring, or something similar
- small piece of wire or needle and thread
- Dig out an old straw hat or pick one up at a yard sale. Spray paint in color of choice and allow to dry.
- (Optional) Use wreath wire, which is very fine, to fasten a metal hoop to the bottom/back of the hat to keep the brim straight. I used a metal ring I pulled from an old lamp shade (waste not, want not) and it was perfect. Your hat may or may not need this addition.
- Cut the blossoms from several silk flowers and glue them to the hat where the "bowl" meets the brim. You can put them all around or just in a selected location. A ribbon bow can also be added, if it suits you.
- To add a hanger, you can glue the bottom section of a can pop-top pull, or sew a cafe curtain ring (or something similar) to the back.
By Marie from West Dundee, ILRead 3 Comments
Since everyone's sunflowers are in bloom now, I thought I would share this craft. Take the straw hats any size you want and paint the center or top of hat brown as in picture, let dry.
What says summer more than a little lady bug. Here is a hat that will make you want to go sit in the garden with a large glass of ice tea and just watch the world go by.
These adorable little hats can be hung on the wall, added to wreaths, used as gift bag tie-ons, or as refrigerator magnets. You can also make a few to sell at a craft fair. They are easy to make and allow you to make use of all the bits and pieces of leftover craft materials you have lying around.
Just glue on the things you have then tie ribbon around and hang as a decoration. Just use your imagination.
Here's a cute hat made from a straw hat and craft foam.Read More...
Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
I need ideas for how to decorate a straw hat for a mother's day banquet.
Ruth from Russell
By guest (Guest Post) Flag
May 7, 20080 found this helpful
Ribbon and silk flowers and lace have always worked well for me. Just gather up what you can lay your hands on, and try out various ways. Once I put a large rinestone pin on my garden party hat, and that was a big hit, and it was real, real simple.
May 8, 20080 found this helpful
Find fake flowers at a thrift shop, rinse them up in the bathtub if you don't have a kitchen sink sprayer, and cut them up to hot-glue around the brim.
I would like to know where I can buy books or get instruction ideas for decorating large women's straw hats for home decor.
By Esther from Dawsonville, GA
November 20, 20100 found this helpful
I would tie a ribbon about 1 inch wide around it like for a hat band and tie it in a bow with streamers hanging, like a woman would wear it with the streamers hanging in the back. Then glue some silk flowere wherever you would want to on the hat. It is more of matter of how you like the appearance rather that what a book might show.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on January 15, 2017 at 2:32:58 PM on 10.0.0.27 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us