By Shawna G. from Ann Arbor, MI
Is there a rodent bait that is safe for dogs? Our barn has a number of rodents, rats. To keep family dogs safe should they find dead one, I do not use poison.
I need a safe way to reduce (kill) rodents. I have tried glue boards and traps they just don't work. We keep feed in heavy metal trash cans with snug lids in a closed feed room. Yet the rats still thrive. I am ready to consider using poison, so please help. Thanks.
Hardiness Zone: 8b
By Cindi from Ocala, FL
Any snapping type trap might injure an animal you don't want to hurt. Poison will kill the rats and those animals which might try to eat it. One reader suggesting you let your dog become a rat eater by feeding it less was really sick. Can you call an exterminator to see what they might try? Good luck to you.
Is it true that if a rodent dies from the poison D Con, it does not leave an odor?
By cricket from San Diego, CA
As a training Vet Tech and having gone to school with people in funeral service, Medical fields and near taxidermists i can say one thing. Dead things smell! (even after being pumped with formaldehyde and other preservative the scent of decay can be smelt on people at least.
As the body decays going threw the may stages of decomposition it's bound to leave a tall tale Odor. The body issues turning to a soupy slush of flesh blood and liquified organs no amount of poison or air freshener outside of professional death scene clean up can completely remove the Oder. It may take a bit more time since its dehydrated (the poison) but overall if left in the walls or house it will smell once it begins liquefying.
The only issue is how bad and that's more based on location. Naturally if it dies in an air vent you'll be smelling it in no time. In the basement wall. You may have a better chance of avoiding the smell. But chances are certain poisons make rodents thirty and they will go outside to get water. That's when the poison kills them. So the 'no smell' is just that they died outside.
So if you have pets (or there are endangered birds or animals in the area) they may eat the sick and dying mouse and get sick itself. And if it dies in your walls even if by some miracle it doesn't smell who wants a dead animals in there walls growing harmful bacteria. (or in a child's room where they can touch it). Best choice is a snap trap. Something you can check regularly and throw away to prevent any illnesses and it'll let you see that you indeed caught the culprit.
Hopefully that's helpful.
I am looking for a "natural" repellent for rodents.
Brad from Pagosa Springs, CO
This products "MGN" performs repellent action to animals (wild dog, stray cat, mouse, snake, weasel, fox, bat, mole, deer, wild boar, etc.) and bugs (cockroach, slug, leech, bee, gnat, mosquito, centipede, etc.) for garden, orchard, field, etc.
NGM reproduces the smell of a forest fire artificially and pests are instinctively recognized there as a dangerous place and escape.
Made of natural materials
If you would like to know the datails, please ask e-mail:
tskkrk @ maia.eonet.ne.jp
We live in an old house and I wish we had the time, money, and patience to close off every opening/crevice to our home, from attics, walls, crawlspace, etc. but that seems impossible. We also have two dogs, so poisons are too big of a risk. Does anyone have rodent control suggestions? I have some traps in the crawlspace, I'll work on getting peppermint oil and boxes of mothballs. (We're not cat people.) Gosh, I feel like we have NO options, but if you any ideas, I'd love to hear about it! Thank you!
By Susan from Hamilton