Protecting Plants in the Winter

Is there a way to overwinter an Anemopsis plant and a Tulbaghia plant? I have had them around my pond this summer and would love to try and save them to grow again in the spring. I am in southern Manitoba, Canada. Thank you.

Hardiness Zone: 2b

By BJ from Brandon, Manitoba

Answers

Here's a few items from an HGTV article...

"Mulch after the first freeze to insulate plants against freezing temperatures, especially those that are marginally hardy.

* Pull mulch back from the base of young trees, particularly if mice are a problem in your area; they can chew on the bark.

* Spray trees that are prone to insect and disease problems with dormant oil, provided temperatures are above 40 degrees F."

October 8, 2010 Flag

By ThriftyFun.com Staff

It's getting below freezing where I live. It normally does not. I want to protect some plants I have in my harden. What is the best way to this cheaply?

Tony

Answers:

Milk Jugs and Soda Bottles

Do you have lots of milk and soda bottles? Cut the top half off and use the bottom with 4 holes cut to let air in, use to protect plants outside from excessive rain and cold!

By Kim (06/02/2005)

By ThriftyFun

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Gardening SeasonalOctober 8, 2010
Cold frame and glass cloches for plant protection.
Preparing Your Garden for Winter
weed sprayer
Protecting Plants When Spraying for Weeds
Winterizing a Butterfly Bush
Winterizing a Butterfly Bush
Saving Money on Winter Vacations, Snowman and Snowwoman Enjoying the Pool and Warm Sun Together
Saving Money on Winter Vacations
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 15, 2017 at 11:17:37 AM on 10.0.2.145 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.