Browsing: Creative Storage Ideas

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Creative Storage Ideas

Being organized is nice, however it is not always easy. Whether your items are odd sizes or you are working with a small space, sometimes you have to get creative to organizing things. This is a guide about creative storage ideas.

Screws stored in a compartment tray.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

October 4, 2011 Flag

I have a lot of these shelf units. The cool thing about them is the support rods have holes in the shelves themselves. Using two Dollar Tree hooks that normally go over the door, I found that I can use something to make a rod and hang a bunch of things like: hammers, tape, ribbon, scissors, kitchen utensils, and so much more.

For simplicity sake, I hung all the things in this list in one shot, but you could make one on each side of the shelf unit if there is room and have one thing on each one.

I hope this helps.

By Sandi from Salem, OR

Another view of this storage system. Rod supported by over the door hooks suspended from the end of plastic storage shelving.

October 2, 2011 Flag

The plastic zippered bags that sheets come in are wonderful as carriers for a shower, (towel, bath items, etc.)

These are also useful for putting an extra pair of shoes in prior to placing in your suit case. I also store my embroidery in them. These zippered bags are wonderful because they are water proof, clear, and just the right size.

By Judith from Waco, TX

June 25, 2012 Flag

The best way I've found so far to store unused cookware, is on a chain (nail was already there) using older metal shower curtain rings through the hole in the pot handle.

Pots hanging from a chain in the kitchen.

November 8, 2011 Flag

I purchased several photo boxes at Walmart, that has a label holder on the front. I got them all the same color so they would blend in with my wall color. This organizes my craft supplies. I can replace the paper label and change it anytime.

Woman sitting in front of pink, labelled photo boxes

January 30, 2006 Flag

If you are low on storage, like me, you can take a towel rack or two and attach them to the back of your bedroom door to hold any extra blankets or comforters from your bed.

March 30, 2011 Flag

I store all my dry foods in glass bottles, often in quart sealers. I ran out of room, so I opened up a small blank wall by cutting into the drywall. This exposed the 2x4s. Between each blank space, I installed shelves made of 1x4s.

April 18, 2001 Flag

How about brainstorming on how to find more storage room? To start off, I hide stacks of magazines, books, or baskets of knitting, underneath floor-length tablecloths.

October 3, 2011 Flag

Sometimes, people leave things in the apartments I live in. These Dollar Tree hooks and an old curtain rod gave me more space in my closet.

Two jackets hanging from unit.

September 9, 2011 Flag

A few years ago, a friend gave me a Christmas gift which was a deluxe assortment of nuts and candied nuts. They came in a round, thick, tough, plastic container with 6 sections and a lid.

March 30, 2011 Flag

Reuse decorated empty food cans as vertical space saving storage to organize. Remove labels, wash cans and let dry, choose a peel and stick paper that matches your theme, and cover your cans.

If it isn't exactly what you want, decorate it with markers or something else. Use a nail to make a hole to fit the nail you intend to use to hang your can(s). Choose a handy location. Start hanging your cans at the bottom of the space you choose and work upwards, making sure you leave enough space between cans.

Fill with items you use often, but don't want in drawers taking up space or causing clutter.

I chose a tiny unused space in my laundry room in a corner. I covered my cans with inexpensive wood grain peel and stick and repeated a leaf pattern on all with a paint pen. I placed the fattest can at the bottom and then the next size and so on, with the smallest can on top. As you can see there isn't equal space in between the cans.That's because I use them for craft sticks, bamboo, other wood sticks, crochet hooks and other items which are different sizes.

Also, it was best for me to use a nail smaller than the hole in the can, so that I can easily remove and replace the can to get my items out with no trouble.

By melody_yesterday from Otterville, MO

<a name="bigimage">Imaginative Wall Storage Ideas

Answers:

Imaginative Wall Storage Ideas

Love your unique and thrifty tip - thumbs up! (12/02/2010)

By JustPlainJo

Imaginative Wall Storage Ideas

What a wonderful idea! I have a tiny home office that doesn't have much room for shelves or other storage solutions but I need to put my office supplies some place handy. The cans are perfect for pens, pencils, highlighters, ruler, etc. I'm thinking maybe a Spam-type can would work for stickynote pads. I'd love to have these small supplies up and off my desk and this will work beautifully. Thank you, Melody! (12/02/2010)

By SavingGrace

Imaginative Wall Storage Ideas

What a great idea. Good job on decorating them and recycling too! I think I might do this in my craft room too. Thanks for sharing. (12/02/2010)

By keeper60

Imaginative Wall Storage Ideas

This looks really good. Thanks for the idea.
(12/02/2010)

By jehosophat jones

Imaginative Wall Storage Ideas

Love the idea! I especially loved the way you painted and decorated the cans. Can't wait to try it myself! (12/03/2010)

By linex_4

Imaginative Wall Storage Ideas

That is awesome. (12/03/2010)

By Ivy Wall

Imaginative Wall Storage Ideas

I like that you whimsically decorated your electrical panel. ;-) (12/20/2010)

By Deeli

Imaginative Wall Storage Ideas

Deeli, Ivy Wal, linex_4, jehosophat jones, keeper60 and JustPlainJo, thanks! I'm so glad you like the idea and some of you have plans to improve on this one with uses of your own !

SavingGrace

I am wondering about colorful golf tees on the pegboard. I don't have any (where I know where they are right now, possible a couple floating around here some place) if they would fit the pegboard holes? That would be cool or other common items; saved wooden sticks from restaurant corn-on-the-cob for instance?

Someone should let us know!

I'd imagine there are several items that could be utilized in place of the standard hardware store hooks. (01/04/2011)

By melody_yesterday

Imaginative Wall Storage Ideas

I picked up 2 more rolls of the woodgrain peel-stick at the store this past week. Seems this stuff is too wonderful to live without when it comes to using it for storage cans or giving little candy treats and so on to the letter carriers!

I use that same leaf pattern all through my house. and if anyone wants a pattern made of this leaf, send me a SASE (message me where to send it) and I will cut you one. It will be the inner piece + the outer stencil shape
made from household recycled cardboard empties. or if you want it cut from a specific piece of paper, like scrap booking paper or lightweight card stock, you can send it to me SASE, and I will return the die cut product (no cans or heavier than stated please).

I have reused this in several projects: wooden craft boxes, bags, notebook covers and will always have a use for it. Let me know!

Using 2 more cans decorated the same way in the laundry room, handy for items left in pockets!
(fabric from thrift shop) (01/04/2011)

By melody_yesterday

RE: Imaginative Wall Storage Ideas

December 2, 2010 Flag

Everyone can use more organization in their lives (except those misguided souls who alphabetize their spices, canned goods and color-coordinate their laundry supplies!).

Organizing AdviceSeptember 7, 2011
Rocks inside two mason jars.
Cheap Storage Solutions
Shelving composed of multisized cubes and rectangles.
Building Storage Shelves
Uses for Old Briefcases, Worn two strap leather briefcase.
Uses for Old Briefcases
A wardrobe for clothing.
Storage Ideas for a House With No Closets
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 16, 2016 at 10:40:28 AM on 10.0.2.214 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.