Creative Storage Ideas

Being organized is nice, however it is not always easy. Whether your items are odd sizes or you are working with a small space, sometimes you have to get creative to organizing things. This is a guide about creative storage ideas.

Filter Sort

Tip: Shelf Unit End Storage

By Sandi/Poor But Proud 467 2,136

I have a lot of these shelf units. The cool thing about them is the support rods have holes in the shelves themselves. Using two Dollar Tree hooks that normally go over the door, I found that I can use something to make a rod and hang a bunch of things like: hammers, tape, ribbon, scissors, kitchen utensils, and so much more.

For simplicity sake, I hung all the things in this list in one shot, but you could make one on each side of the shelf unit if there is room and have one thing on each one.

I hope this helps.

By Sandi from Salem, OR

Another view of this storage system. Rod supported by over the door hooks suspended from the end of plastic storage shelving.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Creative Storage Ideas

How about brainstorming on how to find more storage room? To start off, I hide stacks of magazines, books, or baskets of knitting, underneath floor-length tablecloths.

Nett of NH

Does anyone have any other creative storage ideas?

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Clear Totes Using Recycled Plastic Zipper Bags

By judith nees 1

The plastic zippered bags that sheets come in are wonderful as carriers for a shower, (towel, bath items, etc.)

These are also useful for putting an extra pair of shoes in prior to placing in your suit case. I also store my embroidery in them. These zippered bags are wonderful because they are water proof, clear, and just the right size.

By Judith from Waco, TX

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Towel Rack For Extra Storage

If you are low on storage, like me, you can take a towel rack or two and attach them to the back of your bedroom door to hold any extra blankets or comforters from your bed.

By Robin from Washington, IA

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Storing Cookware on a Chain

By melody_yesterday 228 663

Pots hanging from a chain in the kitchen.The best way I've found so far to store unused cookware, is on a chain (nail was already there) using older metal shower curtain rings through the hole in the pot handle. I had one with a glass lid, so I figured I could use large rubber bands to strap the lid on so I could hang that one as well.

Other things could be hung this way including stuffed animals, using a ribbon, cord around their neck, or a bracelet on the wrist to suspend them from. Or if you have a lot of coffee mugs, you could free up a lot of cabinet storage!

By melody_yesterday from Sedalia, MO

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Craft Supplies in Photo Boxes

By glimmer62 4 70

Woman sitting in front of pink, labelled photo boxesI purchased several photo boxes at Walmart, that has a label holder on the front. I got them all the same color so they would blend in with my wall color. This organizes my craft supplies. I can replace the paper label and change it anytime. For example: I have labels such as Lace, Ribbon, Tools and Paintbrushes, Project in Process, etc. I know where things are, without looking at clutter.

Recently I've started to spray paint shoe boxes (they are nearly the same size as the photo boxes). I used a glossy spray paint and it's such a close match. An alternative would be covering the shoe boxes with wallpaper, scrapbook paper or decoupage. All of my boxes are on a book shelf, so the look is consistent and uncluttered. Hope this helps someone else. Not the greatest picture, and it's more boxes than books these days.

By glimmer62 from Maine

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Over the Door Hook Jacket Storage

By Sandi/Poor But Proud 467 2,136

Sometimes, people leave things in the apartments I live in. These Dollar Tree hooks and an old curtain rod gave me more space in my closet.

Two jackets hanging from unit.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Imaginative Wall Storage Ideas

By Joan 2 167

I store all my dry foods in glass bottles, often in quart sealers. I ran out of room, so I opened up a small blank wall by cutting into the drywall. This exposed the 2x4s. Between each blank space, I installed shelves made of 1x4s. They rest on drywall screws, two under each end. These now hold about 40 sealers or canned goods (my mini pantry). I opted to go two spaces wide, but one could make just one long space.

By Takelababy from Ontario

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Use Sectioned Food Containers For Storage

By Cheryl Doi 18 4

A few years ago, a friend gave me a Christmas gift which was a deluxe assortment of nuts and candied nuts. They came in a round, thick, tough, plastic container with 6 sections and a lid. Once emptied, I now use it to hold different size nails, screws, nuts, and bolts, etc. It is see-through and fits into a small space and I don't have to open it to see what I have.

By Cheryl from Wolfville, Nova Scotia

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Screws stored in a compartment tray.
Organizing AdviceSeptember 7, 2011
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Rocks inside two mason jars.
Cheap Storage Solutions
Uses for Old Briefcases, Worn two strap leather briefcase.
Uses for Old Briefcases
Recycled wooden chair planter.
Making a Chair Planter
A wardrobe for clothing.
Storage Ideas for a House With No Closets
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 13, 2016 at 9:57:00 AM on 10.0.1.118 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutions
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost CommentsFewest CommentsRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings