Creative Storage Ideas

Being organized is nice, however it is not always easy. Whether your items are odd sizes or you are working with a small space, sometimes you have to get creative to organizing things. This is a guide about creative storage ideas.

Organizing items in an over the door shoe organizer.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Reusing food containers and various packaging is one way to find free or inexpensive storage options. This is a guide about storage ideas using common household items.

I have a lot of these shelf units. The cool thing about them is the support rods have holes in the shelves themselves. Using two Dollar Tree hooks that normally go over the door, I found that I can use something to make a rod and hang a bunch of things like: hammers, tape, ribbon, scissors, kitchen utensils, and so much more.

For simplicity sake, I hung all the things in this list in one shot, but you could make one on each side of the shelf unit if there is room and have one thing on each one.

I hope this helps.

By Sandi from Salem, OR

I thought I posted this but for some reason it didn't. Thank you so much for your kind words. This was that "OMGoodness" moment I needed today. I will keep up the great work. I just was asked to make cat mats' for our local no kill shelter. Will post it tonight for a "just share". For the few negitive nellies I get on here, there are 50 that like what I post. I will keep it up for you all. Sandi/PBP

I recently found this wonderful little shelf unit at a thrift store, where else? I tried hanging it on the wall but nothing fit inside. Then I remembered that I take 5 meds every morning and decided to put it on the counter.

You will probably never have these exact items but you can get some ideas at the end. Eventually I want the three white ones to be just the same as the others, as they are oblong and don't fit as well. Plus the others are deeper and can hold more. Dollar Tree here I come!

Note: You might be able to find wire or wicker utensil drawer inserts so I had one of each. Rather than taking out everything, I simply put one little Dollar Tree box in each for reference.

N-JOY!

Source: None

Link: None

neat idea - i do not need one for pill boxes but I like the idea of making one a wall holder of "whatever".

Thanks again,

Betty

PS - I love your "dust testing sign"!!

The plastic zippered bags that sheets come in are wonderful as carriers for a shower, (towel, bath items, etc.)

Pots hanging from a chain in the kitchen.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 4

The best way I've found so far to store unused cookware, is on a chain (nail was already there) using older metal shower curtain rings through the hole in the pot handle.

Woman sitting in front of pink, labelled photo boxes

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 4

I purchased several photo boxes at Walmart, that has a label holder on the front. I got them all the same color so they would blend in with my wall color. This organizes my craft supplies. I can replace the paper label and change it anytime.

If you are low on storage, like me, you can take a towel rack or two and attach them to the back of your bedroom door to hold any extra blankets or comforters from your bed.

Two jackets hanging from unit.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 5

Sometimes, people leave things in the apartments I live in. These Dollar Tree hooks and an old curtain rod gave me more space in my closet.

I store all my dry foods in glass bottles, often in quart sealers. I ran out of room, so I opened up a small blank wall by cutting into the drywall. This exposed the 2x4s. Between each blank space, I installed shelves made of 1x4s.

A few years ago, a friend gave me a Christmas gift which was a deluxe assortment of nuts and candied nuts. They came in a round, thick, tough, plastic container with 6 sections and a lid.

How about brainstorming on how to find more storage room? To start off, I hide stacks of magazines, books, or baskets of knitting, underneath floor-length tablecloths.

Reuse decorated empty food cans as vertical space saving storage to organize. Remove labels, wash cans and let dry, choose a peel and stick paper that matches your theme, and cover your cans.

If it isn't exactly what you want, decorate it with markers or something else. Use a nail to make a hole to fit the nail you intend to use to hang your can(s). Choose a handy location. Start hanging your cans at the bottom of the space you choose and work upwards, making sure you leave enough space between cans.

Fill with items you use often, but don't want in drawers taking up space or causing clutter.

I chose a tiny unused space in my laundry room in a corner. I covered my cans with inexpensive wood grain peel and stick and repeated a leaf pattern on all with a paint pen. I placed the fattest can at the bottom and then the next size and so on, with the smallest can on top. As you can see there isn't equal space in between the cans.That's because I use them for craft sticks, bamboo, other wood sticks, crochet hooks and other items which are different sizes.

Also, it was best for me to use a nail smaller than the hole in the can, so that I can easily remove and replace the can to get my items out with no trouble.

By melody_yesterday from Otterville, MO

Answers:

Imaginative Wall Storage Ideas

Love your unique and thrifty tip - thumbs up! (12/02/2010)

By JustPlainJo

Imaginative Wall Storage Ideas

What a wonderful idea! I have a tiny home office that doesn't have much room for shelves or other storage solutions but I need to put my office supplies some place handy. The cans are perfect for pens, pencils, highlighters, ruler, etc. I'm thinking maybe a Spam-type can would work for stickynote pads. I'd love to have these small supplies up and off my desk and this will work beautifully. Thank you, Melody! (12/02/2010)

By SavingGrace

Imaginative Wall Storage Ideas

What a great idea. Good job on decorating them and recycling too! I think I might do this in my craft room too. Thanks for sharing. (12/02/2010)

By keeper60

Imaginative Wall Storage Ideas

This looks really good. Thanks for the idea.
(12/02/2010)

By jehosophat jones

Imaginative Wall Storage Ideas

Love the idea! I especially loved the way you painted and decorated the cans. Can't wait to try it myself! (12/03/2010)

By linex_4

Imaginative Wall Storage Ideas

That is awesome. (12/03/2010)

By Ivy Wall

Imaginative Wall Storage Ideas

I like that you whimsically decorated your electrical panel. ;-) (12/20/2010)

By Deeli

Imaginative Wall Storage Ideas

Deeli, Ivy Wal, linex_4, jehosophat jones, keeper60 and JustPlainJo, thanks! I'm so glad you like the idea and some of you have plans to improve on this one with uses of your own !

SavingGrace

I am wondering about colorful golf tees on the pegboard. I don't have any (where I know where they are right now, possible a couple floating around here some place) if they would fit the pegboard holes? That would be cool or other common items; saved wooden sticks from restaurant corn-on-the-cob for instance?

Someone should let us know!

I'd imagine there are several items that could be utilized in place of the standard hardware store hooks. (01/04/2011)

By melody_yesterday

Imaginative Wall Storage Ideas

I picked up 2 more rolls of the woodgrain peel-stick at the store this past week. Seems this stuff is too wonderful to live without when it comes to using it for storage cans or giving little candy treats and so on to the letter carriers!

I use that same leaf pattern all through my house. and if anyone wants a pattern made of this leaf, send me a SASE (message me where to send it) and I will cut you one. It will be the inner piece + the outer stencil shape
made from household recycled cardboard empties. or if you want it cut from a specific piece of paper, like scrap booking paper or lightweight card stock, you can send it to me SASE, and I will return the die cut product (no cans or heavier than stated please).

I have reused this in several projects: wooden craft boxes, bags, notebook covers and will always have a use for it. Let me know!

Using 2 more cans decorated the same way in the laundry room, handy for items left in pockets!
(fabric from thrift shop) (01/04/2011)

By melody_yesterday

This is sooo cute. I would never of thought of hanging a can on the wall. There is all sorts of places I can use this idea. So excited I saw this!