Creative Storage Ideas

Being organized is nice, however it is not always easy. Whether your items are odd sizes or you are working with a small space, sometimes you have to get creative to organizing things. This is a guide about creative storage ideas.

October 4, 2011 Flag

I have a lot of these shelf units. The cool thing about them is the support rods have holes in the shelves themselves. Using two Dollar Tree hooks that normally go over the door, I found that I can use something to make a rod and hang a bunch of things like: hammers, tape, ribbon, scissors, kitchen utensils, and so much more.

For simplicity sake, I hung all the things in this list in one shot, but you could make one on each side of the shelf unit if there is room and have one thing on each one.

I hope this helps.

By Sandi from Salem, OR

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 7 Comments

November 9, 2016 Flag

I recently found this wonderful little shelf unit at a thrift store, where else? I tried hanging it on the wall but nothing fit inside. Then I remembered that I take 5 meds every morning and decided to put it on the counter.

You will probably never have these exact items but you can get some ideas at the end. Eventually I want the three white ones to be just the same as the others, as they are oblong and don't fit as well. Plus the others are deeper and can hold more. Dollar Tree here I come!

Note: You might be able to find wire or wicker utensil drawer inserts so I had one of each. Rather than taking out everything, I simply put one little Dollar Tree box in each for reference.

N-JOY!

Source: None

Link: None

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 2, 2011 Flag

The plastic zippered bags that sheets come in are wonderful as carriers for a shower, (towel, bath items, etc.)

These are also useful for putting an extra pair of shoes in prior to placing in your suit case. I also store my embroidery in them. These zippered bags are wonderful because they are water proof, clear, and just the right size.

By Judith from Waco, TX

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 1 Comment

June 25, 2012 Flag

The best way I've found so far to store unused cookware, is on a chain (nail was already there) using older metal shower curtain rings through the hole in the pot handle.

Pots hanging from a chain in the kitchen.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 8, 2011 Flag

I purchased several photo boxes at Walmart, that has a label holder on the front. I got them all the same color so they would blend in with my wall color. This organizes my craft supplies. I can replace the paper label and change it anytime.

Woman sitting in front of pink, labelled photo boxes

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 30, 2006 Flag

If you are low on storage, like me, you can take a towel rack or two and attach them to the back of your bedroom door to hold any extra blankets or comforters from your bed.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 30, 2011 Flag

I store all my dry foods in glass bottles, often in quart sealers. I ran out of room, so I opened up a small blank wall by cutting into the drywall. This exposed the 2x4s. Between each blank space, I installed shelves made of 1x4s.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 18, 2001 Flag

How about brainstorming on how to find more storage room? To start off, I hide stacks of magazines, books, or baskets of knitting, underneath floor-length tablecloths.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 3, 2011 Flag

Sometimes, people leave things in the apartments I live in. These Dollar Tree hooks and an old curtain rod gave me more space in my closet.

Two jackets hanging from unit.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 9, 2011 Flag

A few years ago, a friend gave me a Christmas gift which was a deluxe assortment of nuts and candied nuts. They came in a round, thick, tough, plastic container with 6 sections and a lid.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 30, 2011 Flag

Reuse decorated empty food cans as vertical space saving storage to organize. Remove labels, wash cans and let dry, choose a peel and stick paper that matches your theme, and cover your cans.

If it isn't exactly what you want, decorate it with markers or something else. Use a nail to make a hole to fit the nail you intend to use to hang your can(s). Choose a handy location. Start hanging your cans at the bottom of the space you choose and work upwards, making sure you leave enough space between cans.

Fill with items you use often, but don't want in drawers taking up space or causing clutter.

I chose a tiny unused space in my laundry room in a corner. I covered my cans with inexpensive wood grain peel and stick and repeated a leaf pattern on all with a paint pen. I placed the fattest can at the bottom and then the next size and so on, with the smallest can on top. As you can see there isn't equal space in between the cans.That's because I use them for craft sticks, bamboo, other wood sticks, crochet hooks and other items which are different sizes.

Also, it was best for me to use a nail smaller than the hole in the can, so that I can easily remove and replace the can to get my items out with no trouble.

By melody_yesterday from Otterville, MO

Imaginative Wall Storage Ideas

Answers:

Imaginative Wall Storage Ideas

Love your unique and thrifty tip - thumbs up! (12/02/2010)

By JustPlainJo

Imaginative Wall Storage Ideas

What a wonderful idea! I have a tiny home office that doesn't have much room for shelves or other storage solutions but I need to put my office supplies some place handy. The cans are perfect for pens, pencils, highlighters, ruler, etc. I'm thinking maybe a Spam-type can would work for stickynote pads. I'd love to have these small supplies up and off my desk and this will work beautifully. Thank you, Melody! (12/02/2010)

By SavingGrace

Imaginative Wall Storage Ideas

What a great idea. Good job on decorating them and recycling too! I think I might do this in my craft room too. Thanks for sharing. (12/02/2010)

By keeper60

Imaginative Wall Storage Ideas

This looks really good. Thanks for the idea.
(12/02/2010)

By jehosophat jones

Imaginative Wall Storage Ideas

Love the idea! I especially loved the way you painted and decorated the cans. Can't wait to try it myself! (12/03/2010)

By linex_4

Imaginative Wall Storage Ideas

That is awesome. (12/03/2010)

By Ivy Wall

Imaginative Wall Storage Ideas

I like that you whimsically decorated your electrical panel. ;-) (12/20/2010)

By Deeli

Imaginative Wall Storage Ideas

Deeli, Ivy Wal, linex_4, jehosophat jones, keeper60 and JustPlainJo, thanks! I'm so glad you like the idea and some of you have plans to improve on this one with uses of your own !

SavingGrace

I am wondering about colorful golf tees on the pegboard. I don't have any (where I know where they are right now, possible a couple floating around here some place) if they would fit the pegboard holes? That would be cool or other common items; saved wooden sticks from restaurant corn-on-the-cob for instance?

Someone should let us know!

I'd imagine there are several items that could be utilized in place of the standard hardware store hooks. (01/04/2011)

By melody_yesterday

Imaginative Wall Storage Ideas

I picked up 2 more rolls of the woodgrain peel-stick at the store this past week. Seems this stuff is too wonderful to live without when it comes to using it for storage cans or giving little candy treats and so on to the letter carriers!

I use that same leaf pattern all through my house. and if anyone wants a pattern made of this leaf, send me a SASE (message me where to send it) and I will cut you one. It will be the inner piece + the outer stencil shape
made from household recycled cardboard empties. or if you want it cut from a specific piece of paper, like scrap booking paper or lightweight card stock, you can send it to me SASE, and I will return the die cut product (no cans or heavier than stated please).

I have reused this in several projects: wooden craft boxes, bags, notebook covers and will always have a use for it. Let me know!

Using 2 more cans decorated the same way in the laundry room, handy for items left in pockets!
(fabric from thrift shop) (01/04/2011)

By melody_yesterday

RE: Imaginative Wall Storage Ideas

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 2, 2010 Flag

By Pamela Cole Harris

Everyone can use more organization in their lives (except those misguided souls who alphabetize their spices, canned goods and color-coordinate their laundry supplies!). Additional wall storage can help bring that organization into your home. And original and unusual wall storage ideas can help organization become décor pizzazz! Here are some ideas to get you started:

1. If you have old fruit crates or soda pop crates, attach them to the wall to become a wonderful storage unit to display books or knicknacks. You can paint the units to match your décor or leave the original labels and wood to create a rustic and unusual centerpiece of your room.

2. Do you have an old garden bench or one of those wooden benches which are frequently beside dining tables or in entry halls? Try it attaching upside down on the wall. Use the shelf created by the bench top to display collections. Just think of using a white distressed bench as a shelf for teddy bears in a child's room.

3. Old wooden hangers can make beautiful storage units for jewelry, ties, and even shoes. Paint the hangers a solid color and let dry. Then add decorative touches such as hand-painted flowers or stripes. Or wrap the hangers with strips of fabric using glue to adhere the strips to the wood. When the hanger is completely wrapped, cover with a decoupage finish. Attach to the wall with painted or plain hooks.

4. Want a wonderful idea for towel storage in a bathroom? Try attaching a window box or planter to the wall and fill with folded towels and washcloths, soaps or creams. Add trim and paint to make a unique storage unit.

5. Need an easily accessible place to store your pots and pans? Attach a narrow wrought iron curtain rod with decorative finials to the wall. You can hang the pans from S-hooks which have been hooked over the rod. A great idea!

Use your own imagination to turn everyday objects into storage areas. You might come up with the perfect solution to your organization needs. Hmmm any ideas for storing the 20 years back issues of "Better Homes and Gardens"?

About The Author: Copyright © 2004 Pamela Cole Harris - Home and Garden Makeover
http://www.homeandgardenmakeover.com">http://www.homeandgardenmakeover.com
Pamela Cole Harris has been a writer for over 35 years (Yikes! Has it been that long?) Her fun, tongue-in-cheek approach to decorating has made http://www.homeandgardenmakeover.com">http://www.homeandgardenmakeover.com one of the most popular décor sites on the net. She brings the same spirit of fun and practical advice to her newest site at: http://www.diy-homedecor.com .

Answers:

Unique and Imaginative Wall Storage Ideas

Although peg boards are often used for workshops, you can also use them for other parts of your house. They are inexpensive and are flexible to your changing needs - different style hooks accomodate different types of items, and you can move the hooks as necessary. Paint the smooth side to match or contrast with your walls. Use coordinating ribbon to hang items like scissors, photo frames, etc. (07/03/2005)

By lmr5140

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Organizing AdviceSeptember 7, 2011
Rocks inside two mason jars.
Cheap Storage Solutions
Shelving composed of multisized cubes and rectangles.
Building Storage Shelves
Uses for Old Briefcases, Worn two strap leather briefcase.
Uses for Old Briefcases
A wardrobe for clothing.
Storage Ideas for a House With No Closets
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 9:50:35 AM on 10.0.0.27 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.