Crafts Using CDs

CD Spinner Top - finished top with colorful paper top
Making crafts with recycled CDs is fun and cheap for adults and children alike. This is a guide about crafts using CDs.

I decided to recycle old scratched up or non-useable CD's. So I made these into centerpieces and cake toppers and sell them for extra money. Each one is different and one of a kind or sometimes I have doubles of some figurines.

The CDs are my base and then I go from there. I buy my figurines from thrift shops and yard sales and dollar stores, and I save all my scrap material and lace to glue to my base. I also have people save me their old CDs, including thrift shops where people donate their things. The owners said they end up just throwing them away, but now they save them for me.

By Myra from Allenhurst, GA

If you like a nice effect with a CD for card making or any thing, I put the CD in an old microwave, shiny site up. Close the door and turn it on and off. Within a second it gives you a nice crackle on the shiny part of the CD. The longer you have the microwave on, the nicer it becomes. I use that for Christmas cards. I hope you have fun

By Sara from Australia

Do you have a bunch of those free CD's laying around? Turn them over, the backsides are mirror like, use double sided tape and attach them to the back of the bedroom door for a funky full length mirror. Your teenage daughter will love it.

Janet

In order to make the picture of this craft work, without an intense reflection, I have covered the CD with invisible tape. Your actual project will allow the shine of the CD to show and reflect holiday lights. Crafting Time: 30 minutes or less

Supplies

Directions

1. Roll up the open end of the bag to make the hat brim. If your newspaper comes in a plastic sleeve, this is a great size. I got mine at a local card store. Glue this to the front and back of the CD.
  2. Glue wiggle eyes to the front of the CD below the hat. If you don't have wiggle eyes, just cut two circles from white paper and draw black circles on them, then glue these to the CD.
  3. Cover the hole in the center of the CD with a circle of red construction paper.Glue a a red pom-pom to this circle.
  4. Draw and cut a mouth from red construction paper. Glue this to the CD below the nose.
  5. Gather the plastic bag together above the CD and tie it off with a yarn or ribbon bow. Cut the bag off above where you tied it and fluff this part out to resemble a pom-pom.
  6. To hang your creation, tie a length of thin yarn or dental floss around the hat above the ribbon, then tie the ends of the yarn or floss together to make a hanger.

By Marie E. Cecchini from West Dundee, IL

I saw an interesting window treatment the other day. A computer shop had used CDs to cover a window; overlapping two layers, to create a sort of round pane effect. (I don't know what the other side looked like but you could spray them silver or another color)

By Pamphyila from L.A., CA

A CD, some lace, and a faux flower are used to create this pretty wall hanging. This is a guide about CD wall hanging.

A recycled CD as a floral wall hanging.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making a card holder from CDs. A great way to reuse CDs that you do not need is to make a playing card holder.

A holder for a hand of cards from a recycled CD

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

CDs lend sparkle and shine to a homemade holiday wreath. This is a guide about making a CD Christmas wreath.

CD Wreath

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Make a lighted tree shaped decoration using old CDs. This is a guide about making a Christmas tree with junk CDs.

Closeup of tree.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This guide is about making jewelry from CDs and DVDs. Interesting jewelry can be made by repurposing those old CD's.

CD Jewelry

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

We all have lots of old floppy disks and cds around thanks to AOL and CD Burners. Do you have any good uses for them?

This is something that I have done with those old CD's we all seem to get in the mail. I painted the advertisement side black. On the computer I made a "birthday label" on card stock, which is better than a label, cut it out and glued it over the center hole area on the shinny side of the CD and hot glued twelve pieces of hard candy around the disk. To the back side, I used one of those FREE heavy duty magnets that some pharmacy's give out, to the back. This will hold to a 'fridge quite well. I used this as a gag gift. I sealed it in a bag and added a a computer generated note card with the saying: "HAPPY BIRTHDAY"

A YEARS SUPPLY OF CANDY, IF YOU ONLY EAT ONE A MONTH".

Just use your imagination.

"Syd - who's always thinking!

I also decorated my home office Xmas tree with CD's. I guess you could use the floppies as well. I prefer the CD's.

Make a wind chime. Glue two CD's together, shiny sides out. Drill small holes for stringing the wind chimes, etc. Hang in a covered area of a porch where you get breezes. You can copy off some commercial wind chimes for ideas.

Syd Barr - never at a loss for an idea!

I have a great use for old CD's. Last Christmas, my grandaughter and I made gifts for her teacher and parents, by cutting pic's from old Christmas cards and gluing them onto the shiny side of the CD. Then, we glued bits of fake Christmas trees or weaths, to make little trees. (This makes it look 3D) When the glue was dry, we used craft paint and painted snow on the ground (if you used outdoor scene) and also painted small dots of snow all over the pic. We then glued narrow red ribbon onto the backside for hanging; and/or used small pieces of magnets so they could be displayed on the refrigerators. This was such a big hit with the teachers, etc. we do this every year for Sunday School projects, etc.

- Nellie

I put small stakes in the ground and put a CD on each one along my walkway shiny side up. They pick up the light from the porch light and make energy free illumination along the dark walk.

- Marianne

Use the shiny ones in your straawberry paatch. Hang them on a stake to scare the birds away.

3 ideas:

1. With spray adhesive or any good craft glue, attach a circular cut out of a snapshot in the center of the shiney side of a CD disk. This makes a nice shiny rim. Glue four small magnets around the rim of the back of the disk, at 12, 3, 6 and 9 O'clock and attach it to the fridge.

#2. Glue felt to the dark side of the disk and us it shiny side up under a flower pot on a windowsill.

#3. OR save lots them; find a mirror, round or square..... and, overlapping the disks, hot glue them as a modern looking rim round the edge of your mirror!

I use the cds when I crochet to make CD hotpads. There are many different patterns to chose from. They also make wonderful gifts.

- Margaret Fraleigh

During the Christmas season,hang your CD's from wire on a tree to decorate. They make great outdoor decorations. When the lights hit them the shine.

- Elaine Miller

My husband is not only a computer user, but also a webmaster and a programmng student. As you can imagine, he gets piles of those throw-away cd's from a-oh-well, and other companies that advertise that way. So, I went looking for ideas on how to use them.

I thought they would be pretty and effective tied in long cords and hung around berrry bushes, etc where you don't want the birds stealing your garden goodies. They twirl in the wind and flash gloriously, as good a treat to the eye as a diamond tiara or a crystal chandelier. You do want to pull the cords rather taut to get the most dynamics, so you'll need some kind of stakes or poles.

Just as they are, they make tolerable coasters. You can improve them a bit by gluing a circle of felt to the lable side.

I'm also considering how I can make Christmas ornaments with them. I have a few ideas, but I won't list any, so that you can let your own imaginations run away with you. Instead, I'll just suggest that they could show off thread-crochet, or just about anything could be glued on.

I read that some people warm them on cookie sheets, and make bowls (with holes) when they are just soft enough to droop over a form. This might also make an interesting flower dish with a drainage hole. I have not tried this.

I saw a picture of a home-made gazing ball, done by breaking them in pieces, and pasting the pieces onto a bowling ball or something, with that adhesive/grout used to make mosaics. If you do that, you might like to cover other shapes, too, and incorporate other materials like broken plates, marbles, seashells, etc. Can you picture those reflective fragments under water as a bird bath? Or on stepping stones, on tables or storage cubes, on large flowerpots, on mirror/window frames etc? (Mirrors are wonderful in the garden. Display one, and you have an instant "secret garden".)

Rose B, mother of three, in NC

I would use them as a 1 time use Frisbee.

glue label sides together with spray adhesive

string them together with fishing line, from ceiling to floor, then

use as hippie-beads; those curtain-type things, around a bed or to

divide a room for a teenager.

I take old CD's and cut them into tiny pieces. Sometimes they break so you may want to warm them a little then cut. Then I take a styrofoam ball and use use straight pins and put a length of ribbon around the ball to secure the ball for hanging. Then I glue all the tiny pieces on the ball and make my own DISCO globe!! I hang them from the ceiling fans for light pulls and they shine pretty when the lightis on.

The disks that I will never I use as coasters. I have one by night stand and one by computer to place a coffee cup or soda on. It prevents lots of discolored circles on wood furniture. Also makes a good mirror too!

By Annette

Editor's Note: You can also decorate the CDs with contact paper or paint to match your decor.

Since I've been stringing old CDs from the trees in my backyard, I haven't had any DEER in the yard to eat my plants! I live on 2 acres of land which back up to the woods. I started the CDs from the trees IN the woods, all the way up to my gardens. So far, so good!

Barbara from Toms River, NJ

You can cut a piece of cardstock to fit and attach with glue. Paint and then add a pic/clip art ect. Makes great ornaments. I had written in earlier about how to make these and sent in a picture.

if anyone wants to see the pictures I made I will send via email

ucmelaffn @ aol . com (take out spaces)

hang them over your strawberrys. it scares the birds away. ARDIS

My Mother-in-Law makes fish-mobiles from them. If you put the mirror side out and glue foam cut outs for fins and such on the inside before glueing them together...its the cutest thing. You can also put eyes on them purchased at the craft store. Then use fishing line for hanging them in all different lengths. The children just love them.

My son and his friends (boy scouts) keep one in their packs as a signal mirror. The ones you buy at sporting goods/camping supply stores can be costly - these are free, and work well. For inexperienced people (like me) the larger hole in the middle makes them easier to use as a signaling device!

Well, here's some feedback from a "crazy" artist...

1. I've painted 25 of them with all sorts of metallic paint (of course, colors that matched my client's room). On some of them, I drizzled glitter glue, on some I stamped wild designs and then heat embossed the designs, on some others I put random stripes of 2-sided tape and them applied foils to the sticky areas. So here I sit with 25 wild decorated disks with holes in them... What to do? Get out 25 upholsterly tacks, take some polymer clay to make attractive tack "covers" and get to work. Bake the clay with the tack inside. When cool, draw a rendering of where you'd like the disks to go in the room. Then match up a disk with a clay-covered tack and (FIRST MAKE A PILOT HOLE - YOU DON'T WAN'T TO HAMMER POLYMER CLAY) pin them to the wall. They might just look retro; or possibly like planets, or beach balls, or one client wanted all round fruits represented... Whatever. I also had fun with a 7 and 8 year old who shared a bedroom and wanted the disks to each be different sports balls. (When done we'd made pro golf balls, baseballs, soccer balls, volley balls, basketballs, bocci balls, pool balls - like the 8 ball -, tennis balls, ping-pong, polo balls, croquet balls, shooter marbles, miniature golf balls, kickball, whiffle ball, red/black checker playing pieces)

2. For "sunpainting" on cloth or T-shirts, wet the fabric, put on the special paint (I use Set-A-Color), then lay the CDs on top - take a little trip outside and let the sun do the work. You'll have a wonderful pattern of "circles and circles". They can overlap or not.

3. Last, if you use a product called "Radiant Pearls" you know that this amazing paint will simply not dry on plastic. So, you can put little puddles of "pearls" on CDs and then store them in the plastic cases - just to keep the lint off them.

4. Okay, one more. Break the CD into litle pieces. Melt them by holding an edge with metal tongs, hit them with a heat gun and watch then distort, etc. When you like the shapes, put them in cold water to "hold" the shape. When you have a few you like, take glue meant for plastic, glue a few pieces together until you have the shape of a glamorous pin. Let the glue harden. Then drizzle the piece with glitter glue, different paints (made for plastic) and a myriad of other products. When dry, give the whole piece a nice coat with polyurothane and attach a pin on the back with E-6000 glue or 2-second glue. You'll have cool, one-of-a-kind jewelry.

Bye....

I collect them, I will pay you for them, please contact me at theaveragejack@hotmail.com

I have so many CDs from my daughter growing up. I need ideas on what to make or do with them. I don't want to throw them away, but my daughter no longer wants them.

By Joy from Montgomery, AL

I have a lot of CDs and I am looking for craft ideas for them. I was making coasters out of them, but I am tired of making them and would really like some different ideas. Thanks.

By Christy from Waukegan, IL

I'm looking for directions for making a hanging mobile using CDs and some foam-type of material. A friend had one hanging in her child's room and it was really cute. The body of the fish was a CD, a plastic eye was glued to it, and heavy-type material was stuck thru the CD to make a fin. Does anyone have specific directions on how to make these? Thanks!

Sarah from Brooklyn Center, MN

I would like to find complete directions on how to make costume jewelery pins out of 'free' CD's. I know you 'warm' them before you cut shapes and use acrylic paints but does anyone have any more tips or directions?

Thanks,
Ann in Syr.

I am looking for butteries or other animals, like fish, made from compact discs. Thanks.

By Susan from Morrow, GA

How do you make candy dishes from old CDs?

By Fostina

I need the directions for the fourth and half angel made out a CD.

By Craftlady23 from Indiana, PA

I have lots and lots of old CDs and I don't want to just dispose them. Does anybody here have craft ideas that I can make out of them? Thanks.

Loi from Philippines

Answers:

Crafts Made With CDs

My neighbor strung them with fishing line and used them on his outside Christmas tree. The sun picked up the silver shine and they were very pretty. Another neighbor used them in his cherry trees to scare birds away. Another neighbor tied them to his grape vines for the same reason. (08/01/2008)

By Glenn'sMom

Crafts Made With CDs

My son used them as a border around the top of his walls in his bedroom. Used bluetac to put them up on the wall. Very nice in a teen's room.

I have also used them at school with my students. We draw geometrical or abstract designs on them with fine black marker (waterproof) and white out pen. Kids love them. (08/03/2008)

By louel53

Crafts Made With CDs

I have a program on my computer that prints a CD cover. I have used it to make clocks. Just buy the clock parts at the craft store, print out whatever design you want on the computer (I used photos of my grandchildren. There will be a hole in the middle of it, so place the faces correctly). Then attach the clock parts and you have a unique clock. Could use many other ways to design your clock -- painting, markers, decoupage, etc! Fun and cute! (08/06/2008)

By HalfWhit

Crafts Made With CDs

There are tons of great ideas for using Cd's on crafster.com (08/06/2008)

By tahlula

Crafts Made With CDs

Make a CD Flower:

For the Daisy Girl Scouts I used a CD to make a flower. Take a large button and put cotton crochet thread through it to make a hanging loop. Put the loop through the center hole of the CD with the button on the shiny side. Glue a white cardboard circle on the printed side with the hanging loop sandwiched between the cardboard and the CD. Using various colored pieces of art foam, cut out a circle and petals. Glue to the cardboard. With the Daisy GS I printed words from the Girl Scout Law, and as they earned their petal they glued it onto the flower CD. (08/07/2008)

By Hill8628

Crafts Made With CDs

I made hanging mobiles. They glitter in the sun. My grandchildren love chasing the reflections. To do it, drill holes opposite each other on the edges. I used the tool that came with the ink cartridge refill kit. Then put a fishing swivel with a clip on it and tie fishing line between. I make mine 4 discs long and hang them where they catch a breeze and the sun. (08/07/2008)

By Roamin46

Crafts Made With CDs

Years ago I made some Christmas decorations using CD's and small ornaments. I had a snowman figurine, Santa Claus, and a few others. I added some cotton balls to the CD in a few places to make it look like snow and the open CD parts looks like ice. Then add the figurine to the center, and once dry, it looked like Santa was standing in the snow with ice showing through. Very cute. (08/07/2008)

By Karyn01

Does anyone know of crafts or uses for CD's?

Carmela

Answers:

CD Crafts

I use old CDs for making little figurines. You just take some heavy duty construction paper round it to a cone and stack CDs on that to make a tree or if you want to get creative you could make people and even more. I don't know your skill level so that would be your choice. (06/17/2008)

By Sadie

CD Crafts

I take the cds and place them flat on top a glass bowl, place them on a cookie sheet lined with foil, and place them in the oven at 300 degrees F for about 30 minutes. The time might vary depending on your stove. Check about every 10 minutes or so. The cd will melt over the bowl, but you can get some funny looking bowls.

It is better to do this in a well ventilated kitchen. Do not use a higher temp. You can paint them or whatever. I use them for candy dishes, small candle holders, jewelry holder for you girls, coin holder for loose change. I almost forgot I sand the cds down because it makes it easier to paint because sometimes all the writing doesn't melt.

Good luck. Angie (06/18/2008)

By pauley

CD Crafts

allfreecrafts.com CD Letter Holder

Recycle several cd's to hold notes or letters.
http://www.allfreecrafts.com/mothers-day/cd-letter-holder.shtml

Timmy the Turtle CD Magnet
http://www.allfreecrafts.com/kids/turtle-cd.shtml

Transform an old CD into a turtle fridge magnet. Recycled CD Memo Bunny
http://www.allfreecrafts.com/easter/recycled-cd-memo-bunny.shtml
Make an Easter bunny memo board from an old CD.

Here's some more to skim thru:
http://flickr.com/search/?q=cd%20craftsandw=all (06/19/2008)

By melody_yesterday

CD Crafts

I use the old CD's for crafts at Church Camp. The kids can get really creative with Sharpie makers, paint, rubber stamps, and even big sculptures using hot glue. They like it since they can use lots of them and if they mess up they can just start over with a new one.

I have also made a wiggle wobble ladybug using the cd with a flat marble glued underneath. Decorate the top with a circle of paper and add a head. This was a little more involved, but the older kids seemed to like it. Hope this helps and keep those creative juices flowing. (06/20/2008)

By OkieLady

CD Crafts Angel Ornament

Here is my cd angel made from a half cd and a fourth of one. (10/08/2008)

By Lainey Lee

RE: CD Crafts Angel Ornament

CD Crafts

Here is something I made out of CD's. (11/16/2008)

By Myra W.

RE: CD Crafts

CD Crafts

Another CD project. (11/16/2008)

By Myra W.

RE: CD Crafts

CD Crafts

Use a heat gun on the cd and it will distort into wonderful shapes, it looks like bubbled and cracked glass. Applying the heat to the text and grove side, it produces different effects and you can also mark or write on the grove side, although this turns into brown colour as the heat distorts the cd. I applied extra heat to the centre of the cd and it collapsed inward. You can mould this carefully whilst still hot. My little experiment with the heat gun produced a really "nice candle drip disc". There's probably many more uses of the heat gun. If you know, I would love to know. (06/20/2009)

By Annchristin

CD Crafts

Here's another link:

http://www.make-stuff.com/recycling/cd.html (06/20/2009)

By Annchristin

I have a lot of used CDs which I want to recycle making some attractive crafts. Could you suggest me some craft ideas which i can do using these CDs. I have 100s of CDs with me.

Thanks,
Anand from New Delhi, India

Answers:

CD Crafts

You can glue them to your wall or a big thick cardboard. and make a cool wall art. it would be great in a kids room. (02/07/2007)

By Mia.

CD Crafts

I also had many cd's. My friend is a "Lucy" lover. So I went online, cut & pasted pics of Lucy, Fred, Ethel, Rickey and put into my pictures. Then I used my cd labeling software and put the pics on the CDs. Makes pefect decoration on shower curtain/ring, hang on walls, etc. If you have an animal theme, put different pics of animals and place on lamps, etc (02/07/2007)

CD Crafts

If you crochet you can crochet two circles and put the CD in between the two circles and you have a coaster or potpad. Here is a pic of a Halloween one I did. (02/08/2007)

By Robin Mays

RE: CD Crafts

CD Crafts

I make twirlygigs by putting them back to back on fishing line with a loop for hanging using lots of hot glue between them - the whole yard is quite the spectacle when the sun is shining on them! I dont have to drill any holes. i like to do em 7 in a row. (02/08/2007)

By Lily 59

RE: CD Crafts

CD Crafts

Glue a CD on a painter canvas and decorate with squizz paint, in geometrical motives (eg. mandala) and you have a bright 'painting' to decorate any darker wall. A.Sylvia Sommer sylvia AT evadin.com.br (02/12/2007)

By TURUL

RE: CD Crafts

CD Crafts

I saw a program on TV where CDs were cut into mosaic pieces and used them to line a birdbath in the garden. It was beautiful, as all the colourful light was reflected. I want to do this project myself! (02/19/2007)

By Cathy

CD Crafts

Break them up using strong snips and gloves into smaller pieces and glue to a styrofoam ball, your choice of size, but I recommend at least 3" Add a hanging loop and you have your own disco ball! Be sure and glue the pieces shiny side up!! (03/14/2007)

By thriftmeg

RE: CD Crafts

CD Crafts

You can use them as a little carpet for front doors, it will be easy to wash,
thanks

(04/11/2007)

By muslim

CD Crafts

They make great little clocks. At yard sales I look for frugal clocks and use the arms, etc on the CD. Also, use them for outside CHRISTMAS decorations. (07/11/2007)

By keeper60

CD Crafts

I've seen CD's used for the top of decorative windchime type items. you could drill small holes into the cd and tie string or thread, even fishing line through it. adding embelishments of your choice, charms, bells. or if you work with polymer clay you can handmake little suns moon or stars ( or anything you can imagine) and attach those to it. :) (10/16/2007)

By GROSJACQUES1

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.