Crafts Using CDs

Making crafts with recycled CDs is fun and cheap for adults and children alike. This is a guide about crafts using CDs.

CD Spinner Top
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

CD Cake TopperI decided to recycle old scratched up or non-useable CD's. So I made these into centerpieces and cake toppers and sell them for extra money. Each one is different and one of a kind or sometimes I have doubles of some figurines.

The CDs are my base and then I go from there. I buy my figurines from thrift shops and yard sales and dollar stores, and I save all my scrap material and lace to glue to my base. I also have people save me their old CDs, including thrift shops where people donate their things. The owners said they end up just throwing them away, but now they save them for me.

By Myra from Allenhurst, GA

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A holder for a hand of cards from a recycled CDDo you ever get those annoying internet CD's in the mail? Tired of throwing them out? Well, don't. I decided to try something with them and it worked! I used them to make playing card holders!

Simply take two CD's and put drops of super glue on the lower half of one of them. Press the two CD's together for a minute, then let it sit out and continue drying thoroughly. You now have playing card holders - make one for all the card players in your family! See the picture, they're cute!

Cd Card Holder (recycled craft)

By Stacey from Orem, UT

We all have lots of old floppy disks and cds around thanks to AOL and CD Burners. Do you have any good uses for them?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Do ya have an old, but still working clock? Take it apart, and re-assemble onto a cd through the hole in the middle....makes a really cute clock for a child's room, or anywhere really....

Read More Answers...

CD WreathThis is a Christmas wreath using old CD's for sparkle. Can be used with or without greenery

Approximate Time: 30 minutes to 1 hour

• Old CD's
  • craft glue
  • greenery
  • ribbon with wire edges
  • piece of wire

Instructions:

Take the CD's and glue them together to make a circle. Use as many as needed for the size circle you want. I also glued two of them back to back if the wreath will be seen from both sides. If not, just use a single CD if it will be covered by the greenery.

Once you have a circle, Take the ribbon and thread it through the holes, leaving enough ribbon in each section to pull it up and cover the cd holes. Make a bow out of the remaining ribbon and glue to the wreath wherever you like.

CDWreath1_300x225.jpgYou can use this just like this, or if you have any greenery laying around, you can put the CD's on top of the greenery, or possibly glue the greenery to the back of the CD's so it shows on the outer edges or use any older type wreath and just put the CD wreath on top.

Make a hanger with the wire, and also use the wire to attach the CD wreath to the greenery.

I do not know if you can use a hot glue gun on this project as it may melt the CD's.

This makes a really shiny wreath that sparkles if the sun hits it or if lights hit it. If you wanted I think adding the small white lights to it would really make it reflective. I did not try that with mine, yet.

By Susan from Mulberry, Fl

A recycled CD and flower makes a pretty wall hanging.

Approximate Time: Half an hour

• Discarded CD
  • 16 inches of gathered lace (straight lace will not lie flat)
  • 16 inch strand of seed pearls
  • Artificial flower with leaves
  • Glue gun

Instructions:

Using a glue gun, glue the lace to the back edge of CD so just the ruffles show on the shiny side.

Glue the strand of seed pearls around the front edge of CD just inside the lace edging.

Glue leaves and flower at center.

Make a loop out of string or ribbon. Glue to back of CD for hanging it up.

These would also look nice edged with small seashells instead of lace.

By Preserver from Winnipeg MB

I have so many CDs from my daughter growing up. I need ideas on what to make or do with them. I don't want to throw them away, but my daughter no longer wants them.

By Joy from Montgomery, AL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The art teacher at the school where I work uses them every year to let each student decorate for a christmas ornament to hang on the tree in our foyer. Lots of schools have websites where you can contact them to ask.

Read More Answers...

If you like a nice effect with a CD for card making or any thing, I put the CD in an old microwave, shiny site up. Close the door and turn it on and off. Within a second it gives you a nice crackle on the shiny part of the CD. The longer you have the microwave on, the nicer it becomes. I use that for Christmas cards. I hope you have fun

By Sara from Australia

I have a lot of CDs and I am looking for craft ideas for them. I was making coasters out of them, but I am tired of making them and would really like some different ideas. Thanks.

By Christy from Waukegan, IL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Go to www.instructables.com & type in cds in the search bar, you'll get pages & pages of ideas!

Read More Answers...

I'm looking for directions for making a hanging mobile using CDs and some foam-type of material. A friend had one hanging in her child's room and it was really cute. The body of the fish was a CD, a plastic eye was glued to it, and heavy-type material was stuck thru the CD to make a fin. Does anyone have specific directions on how to make these? Thanks!

Sarah from Brooklyn Center, MN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

www.orientaltrading.com has a kit to make the fish mobile you described. It has a photo in the center and is so cute. You prolly could figure out how to do it without purchasing the kit. Good luck!

fancee

Read More Answers...

CD ElfIn order to make the picture of this craft work, without an intense reflection, I have covered the CD with invisible tape. Your actual project will allow the shine of the CD to show and reflect holiday lights. Crafting Time: 30 minutes or less

Supplies

• old CD or one you received in a mail ad
  • small colored plastic bag
  • red construction paper
  • red pom-pom
  • wiggle eyes
  • craft glue
  • scissors
  • yarn or ribbon

Directions

1. Roll up the open end of the bag to make the hat brim. If your newspaper comes in a plastic sleeve, this is a great size. I got mine at a local card store. Glue this to the front and back of the CD.
  2. Glue wiggle eyes to the front of the CD below the hat. If you don't have wiggle eyes, just cut two circles from white paper and draw black circles on them, then glue these to the CD.
  3. Cover the hole in the center of the CD with a circle of red construction paper.Glue a a red pom-pom to this circle.
  4. Draw and cut a mouth from red construction paper. Glue this to the CD below the nose.
  5. Gather the plastic bag together above the CD and tie it off with a yarn or ribbon bow. Cut the bag off above where you tied it and fluff this part out to resemble a pom-pom.
  6. To hang your creation, tie a length of thin yarn or dental floss around the hat above the ribbon, then tie the ends of the yarn or floss together to make a hanger.

By Marie E. Cecchini from West Dundee, IL

I would like to find complete directions on how to make costume jewelery pins out of 'free' CD's. I know you 'warm' them before you cut shapes and use acrylic paints but does anyone have any more tips or directions?

Thanks,
Ann in Syr.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Ann, I saw some pendants, made from old cd's, at an arts/crafts festival today. I'm also looking for instructions (which the seller, of course, wouldn't provide), so, at least, we're both looking. Her pendants were very colorful and had a good bit of wrapped wire involved.

Read More Answers...

I saw an interesting window treatment the other day. A computer shop had used CDs to cover a window; overlapping two layers, to create a sort of round pane effect. (I don't know what the other side looked like but you could spray them silver or another color)

By Pamphyila from L.A., CA

I am looking for butteries or other animals, like fish, made from compact discs. Thanks.

By Susan from Morrow, GA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I found this for you you at: about.com.

CD Craft Projects - Crafts Made with CDs - Green Crafts.

Find many craft projects using CDs. A great way to make green crafts and recycle all those CDs you get in the mail!

familycrafts.about.com/od/cdcrafts/CD_Crafts.htm

Hope this helps.

How do you make candy dishes from old CDs?

By Fostina

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have lots and lots of old CDs and I don't want to just dispose them. Does anybody here have craft ideas that I can make out of them? Thanks.

Loi from Philippines

Crafts Made With CDs

My neighbor strung them with fishing line and used them on his outside Christmas tree. The sun picked up the silver shine and they were very pretty. Another neighbor used them in his cherry trees to scare birds away. Another neighbor tied them to his grape vines for the same reason. (08/01/2008)

By Glenn'sMom

Crafts Made With CDs

My son used them as a border around the top of his walls in his bedroom. Used bluetac to put them up on the wall. Very nice in a teen's room.

I have also used them at school with my students. We draw geometrical or abstract designs on them with fine black marker (waterproof) and white out pen. Kids love them. (08/03/2008)

By louel53

Crafts Made With CDs

I have a program on my computer that prints a CD cover. I have used it to make clocks. Just buy the clock parts at the craft store, print out whatever design you want on the computer (I used photos of my grandchildren. There will be a hole in the middle of it, so place the faces correctly). Then attach the clock parts and you have a unique clock. Could use many other ways to design your clock -- painting, markers, decoupage, etc! Fun and cute! (08/06/2008)

By HalfWhit

Crafts Made With CDs

There are tons of great ideas for using Cd's on crafster.com (08/06/2008)

By tahlula

Crafts Made With CDs

Make a CD Flower:

For the Daisy Girl Scouts I used a CD to make a flower. Take a large button and put cotton crochet thread through it to make a hanging loop. Put the loop through the center hole of the CD with the button on the shiny side. Glue a white cardboard circle on the printed side with the hanging loop sandwiched between the cardboard and the CD. Using various colored pieces of art foam, cut out a circle and petals. Glue to the cardboard. With the Daisy GS I printed words from the Girl Scout Law, and as they earned their petal they glued it onto the flower CD. (08/07/2008)

By Hill8628

Crafts Made With CDs

I made hanging mobiles. They glitter in the sun. My grandchildren love chasing the reflections. To do it, drill holes opposite each other on the edges. I used the tool that came with the ink cartridge refill kit. Then put a fishing swivel with a clip on it and tie fishing line between. I make mine 4 discs long and hang them where they catch a breeze and the sun. (08/07/2008)

By Roamin46

Crafts Made With CDs

Years ago I made some Christmas decorations using CD's and small ornaments. I had a snowman figurine, Santa Claus, and a few others. I added some cotton balls to the CD in a few places to make it look like snow and the open CD parts looks like ice. Then add the figurine to the center, and once dry, it looked like Santa was standing in the snow with ice showing through. Very cute. (08/07/2008)

By Karyn01

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Does anyone know of crafts or uses for CD's?

Carmela

CD Crafts

I use old CDs for making little figurines. You just take some heavy duty construction paper round it to a cone and stack CDs on that to make a tree or if you want to get creative you could make people and even more. I don't know your skill level so that would be your choice. (06/17/2008)

By Sadie

CD Crafts

I take the cds and place them flat on top a glass bowl, place them on a cookie sheet lined with foil, and place them in the oven at 300 degrees F for about 30 minutes. The time might vary depending on your stove. Check about every 10 minutes or so. The cd will melt over the bowl, but you can get some funny looking bowls.

It is better to do this in a well ventilated kitchen. Do not use a higher temp. You can paint them or whatever. I use them for candy dishes, small candle holders, jewelry holder for you girls, coin holder for loose change. I almost forgot I sand the cds down because it makes it easier to paint because sometimes all the writing doesn't melt.

Good luck. Angie (06/18/2008)

By pauley

CD Crafts

allfreecrafts.com CD Letter Holder

Recycle several cd's to hold notes or letters.
http://www.allfreecrafts.com/mothers-day/cd-letter-holder.shtml

Timmy the Turtle CD Magnet
http://www.allfreecrafts.com/kids/turtle-cd.shtml

Transform an old CD into a turtle fridge magnet. Recycled CD Memo Bunny
http://www.allfreecrafts.com/easter/recycled-cd-memo-bunny.shtml
Make an Easter bunny memo board from an old CD.

Here's some more to skim thru:
http://flickr.com/search/?q=cd%20craftsandw=all (06/19/2008)

By melody_yesterday

CD Crafts

I use the old CD's for crafts at Church Camp. The kids can get really creative with Sharpie makers, paint, rubber stamps, and even big sculptures using hot glue. They like it since they can use lots of them and if they mess up they can just start over with a new one.

I have also made a wiggle wobble ladybug using the cd with a flat marble glued underneath. Decorate the top with a circle of paper and add a head. This was a little more involved, but the older kids seemed to like it. Hope this helps and keep those creative juices flowing. (06/20/2008)

By OkieLady

CD Crafts Angel Ornament

Here is my cd angel made from a half cd and a fourth of one. (10/08/2008)

By Lainey Lee

RE: CD Crafts Angel Ornament

CD Crafts

Here is something I made out of CD's. (11/16/2008)

By Myra W.

RE: CD Crafts

CD Crafts

Another CD project. (11/16/2008)

By Myra W.

RE: CD Crafts

CD Crafts

Use a heat gun on the cd and it will distort into wonderful shapes, it looks like bubbled and cracked glass. Applying the heat to the text and grove side, it produces different effects and you can also mark or write on the grove side, although this turns into brown colour as the heat distorts the cd. I applied extra heat to the centre of the cd and it collapsed inward. You can mould this carefully whilst still hot. My little experiment with the heat gun produced a really "nice candle drip disc". There's probably many more uses of the heat gun. If you know, I would love to know. (06/20/2009)

By Annchristin

CD Crafts

Here's another link:

http://www.make-stuff.com/recycling/cd.html (06/20/2009)

By Annchristin

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Crafts Recycled CraftsFebruary 20, 2012
Storing CDs
Storing CDs and DVDs
CD Spinner Top
Making CD Spinners
CD Notepad
Making a Recycled CD Notepad
Uses for CDs
Uses for CDs
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 27, 2016 at 4:14:38 PM on 10.0.1.75 in 612 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.