Crafts Using CDs

Making crafts with recycled CDs is fun and cheap for adults and children alike. This is a guide about crafts using CDs.

June 22, 2009 Flag

I decided to recycle old scratched up or non-useable CD's. So I made these into centerpieces and cake toppers and sell them for extra money. Each one is different and one of a kind or sometimes I have doubles of some figurines.

The CDs are my base and then I go from there. I buy my figurines from thrift shops and yard sales and dollar stores, and I save all my scrap material and lace to glue to my base. I also have people save me their old CDs, including thrift shops where people donate their things. The owners said they end up just throwing them away, but now they save them for me.

By Myra from Allenhurst, GA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I loved this idea so much I went to the next boot sale and managed to get bear figures for different prices. The most 'expensive' was 40p. cheapest was 10p! Now to get crafting...

January 26, 2017 Flag

A recycled CD as a floral wall hanging.

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A CD, some lace, and a faux flower are used to create this pretty wall hanging. This is a guide about CD wall hanging.

November 29, 2016 Flag

A holder for a hand of cards from a recycled CD

This is a guide about making a card holder from CDs. A great way to reuse CDs that you do not need is to make a playing card holder.

November 28, 2016 Flag

Closeup of tree.

Make a lighted tree shaped decoration using old CDs. This is a guide about making a Christmas tree with junk CDs.

November 28, 2016 Flag

CD Wreath

CDs lend sparkle and shine to a homemade holiday wreath. This is a guide about making a CD Christmas wreath.

May 7, 2008 Flag
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 10, 2007 Flag

CD Elf

In order to make the picture of this craft work, without an intense reflection, I have covered the CD with invisible tape. Your actual project will allow the shine of the CD to show and reflect holiday lights.

April 9, 2007 Flag

I saw an interesting window treatment the other day. A computer shop had used CDs to cover a window; overlapping two layers, to create a sort of round pane effect.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 5, 2012 Flag

CD Jewelry

This guide is about making jewelry from CDs and DVDs. Interesting jewelry can be made by repurposing those old CD's.

July 13, 2005 Flag

We all have lots of old floppy disks and cds around thanks to AOL and CD Burners. Do you have any good uses for them?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I worked for a lady who did a lot of odd & wonderful mosaic work with found objects. A personal favorite of mine was a kitchen chair (yard sale find) she'd painted shiny black, then mosaiced with broken cd's, shiny side up of course, roughly dime sized shards. She said she microwaved them for a couple seconds first, which gave them a slight crackled finish, then laid them between dish towels & hit with a hammer till most were the right size. Then arrange, gluing as you go with a good glue like E6000 or Household GOOP.

I'm sure you could use this "discoball" effect on all kinds of items.

Our school's Family Fun committee collected as many of these as possible to use as decorations for their Valentine's family dance. All the label sides that had pictures or patterns were spray painted in a variety of colors and the shiny sides were left as is. They hung them from the doorways and ceiling in the gym and when the DJ turned on the disco ball, it created a really neat light effect. They boxed them up and saved them for reusing year after year and for other activities. I know they collected so many that they had extra and they used them for the kids to paint for holiday decorations at other Family Fun activities as well.

July 13, 2010 Flag

I have so many CDs from my daughter growing up. I need ideas on what to make or do with them. I don't want to throw them away, but my daughter no longer wants them.

By Joy from Montgomery, AL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I think that they might be of more use if you donated them to charity. They would then be used instead of being "tackified" by crafting with them.

To the person who wrote that turning CD's into crafts was Tacky, You are wrong. It is a lot better then just letting them go into the trash. I have different thrift shops save them for me because someone donated the CD's to them and it was ones they could not use.

March 22, 2010 Flag

I have a lot of CDs and I am looking for craft ideas for them. I was making coasters out of them, but I am tired of making them and would really like some different ideas. Thanks.

By Christy from Waukegan, IL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My daughter received a sun catcher or wind chime style gift. It had 3 CD's that had feathers and glitter and inscriptions on them. They were joined together with fine plastic clear fishing line at different levels. There was lots of glitter glue too. She absolutely loved it (Miss 4 years) I think it was very cute and could easily be made more adult like via how you decorate it.

cheers, AussieDanielle

wilcocassie AT optusnet.com.au if you have questions

How about a cd mini album, here are the instructions. http://www.scra  album.html#Basic

Also I once saw a curtain made from cds, ball and chain links and beads.

July 26, 2006 Flag

I'm looking for directions for making a hanging mobile using CDs and some foam-type of material. A friend had one hanging in her child's room and it was really cute. The body of the fish was a CD, a plastic eye was glued to it, and heavy-type material was stuck thru the CD to make a fin. Does anyone have specific directions on how to make these? Thanks!

Sarah from Brooklyn Center, MN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

http://www.dltk  nimals/fish.html

try this link

CD ROM Fish Craft

Instructions to make a cute, hanging fish out of old Cds.

Materials Needed:

2 Old CDs

Construction Paper

Large Wiggly Eyes

Glue

Yarn or Fishing Line

Instructions:

Using whatever color of paper you prefer, cut out the fish's lips, fins, and tail (. Glue the lips and fins to the side of the cd with the writing on it (figure 2). Set aside one of the top fins.

Cut a piece of yarn or fishing line 3 - 4 feet long. Tie a knot in one end. Run a line of glue from the hole in the center of the cd up to the top edge of the top fin that is glued onto the cd. Lay the yarn or fishing line on top of the glue so the knot is in the hole in the cd. Glue the extra top fin on top of the other top fin to cover the yarn . Spead glue all over the side of the cd that everything else is glued to. Set the other cd on top of the glue and match up all the edges. Make sure you have the side of the cd with any writing facing down into the glue.

Glue the wiggly eyes on your fish as shown in figure 6. Glue one on each side of his head. If you don't have wiggly eyes, you can also use a small white pom-pom and a black bead. This will give your fishes eyes a more 'buggy' look! The last thing you need now is a fin on the side of the fish! You will make these by using a 5 x 6 inch piece of construction paper. Accordian fold the paper. Using figure 7 for an example, you would fold the paper back and forth on the white lines. Once it is fold, hold the folds together and slip in through the hole in the center of the cd. Center the paper in the hole and unfold the ends a bit to fluff them out. Add a little glue to hole of the cd and the paper. You can now hang up your completed fish.

September 23, 2005 Flag

I would like to find complete directions on how to make costume jewelery pins out of 'free' CD's. I know you 'warm' them before you cut shapes and use acrylic paints but does anyone have any more tips or directions?

Thanks,
Ann in Syr.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Here are a couple of sites I found on the "net". http://www.amst  /tutorials1.html and http://www.amst  /tutorials3.html Have fun!!!

Ann, I saw some pendants, made from old cd's, at an arts/crafts festival today. I'm also looking for instructions (which the seller, of course, wouldn't provide), so, at least, we're both looking. Her pendants were very colorful and had a good bit of wrapped wire involved.

May 25, 2010 Flag

I am looking for butteries or other animals, like fish, made from compact discs. Thanks.

By Susan from Morrow, GA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I found this for you you at: about.com.

CD Craft Projects - Crafts Made with CDs - Green Crafts.

Find many craft projects using CDs. A great way to make green crafts and recycle all those CDs you get in the mail!

familycrafts.about.com/od/cdcrafts/CD_Crafts.htm

Hope this helps.

May 14, 2010 Flag

How do you make candy dishes from old CDs?

By Fostina

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Here you go!

http://familycr  ts/a/CDBowls.htm

September 3, 2009 Flag

I need the directions for the fourth and half angel made out a CD.

By Craftlady23 from Indiana, PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 13, 2010 Flag

I have lots and lots of old CDs and I don't want to just dispose them. Does anybody here have craft ideas that I can make out of them? Thanks.

Loi from Philippines

Answers:

Crafts Made With CDs

My neighbor strung them with fishing line and used them on his outside Christmas tree. The sun picked up the silver shine and they were very pretty. Another neighbor used them in his cherry trees to scare birds away. Another neighbor tied them to his grape vines for the same reason. (08/01/2008)

By Glenn'sMom

Crafts Made With CDs

My son used them as a border around the top of his walls in his bedroom. Used bluetac to put them up on the wall. Very nice in a teen's room.

I have also used them at school with my students. We draw geometrical or abstract designs on them with fine black marker (waterproof) and white out pen. Kids love them. (08/03/2008)

By louel53

Crafts Made With CDs

I have a program on my computer that prints a CD cover. I have used it to make clocks. Just buy the clock parts at the craft store, print out whatever design you want on the computer (I used photos of my grandchildren. There will be a hole in the middle of it, so place the faces correctly). Then attach the clock parts and you have a unique clock. Could use many other ways to design your clock -- painting, markers, decoupage, etc! Fun and cute! (08/06/2008)

By HalfWhit

Crafts Made With CDs

There are tons of great ideas for using Cd's on crafster.com (08/06/2008)

By tahlula

Crafts Made With CDs

Make a CD Flower:

For the Daisy Girl Scouts I used a CD to make a flower. Take a large button and put cotton crochet thread through it to make a hanging loop. Put the loop through the center hole of the CD with the button on the shiny side. Glue a white cardboard circle on the printed side with the hanging loop sandwiched between the cardboard and the CD. Using various colored pieces of art foam, cut out a circle and petals. Glue to the cardboard. With the Daisy GS I printed words from the Girl Scout Law, and as they earned their petal they glued it onto the flower CD. (08/07/2008)

By Hill8628

Crafts Made With CDs

I made hanging mobiles. They glitter in the sun. My grandchildren love chasing the reflections. To do it, drill holes opposite each other on the edges. I used the tool that came with the ink cartridge refill kit. Then put a fishing swivel with a clip on it and tie fishing line between. I make mine 4 discs long and hang them where they catch a breeze and the sun. (08/07/2008)

By Roamin46

Crafts Made With CDs

Years ago I made some Christmas decorations using CD's and small ornaments. I had a snowman figurine, Santa Claus, and a few others. I added some cotton balls to the CD in a few places to make it look like snow and the open CD parts looks like ice. Then add the figurine to the center, and once dry, it looked like Santa was standing in the snow with ice showing through. Very cute. (08/07/2008)

By Karyn01

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 22, 2010 Flag

Does anyone know of crafts or uses for CD's?

Carmela

Answers:

CD Crafts

I use old CDs for making little figurines. You just take some heavy duty construction paper round it to a cone and stack CDs on that to make a tree or if you want to get creative you could make people and even more. I don't know your skill level so that would be your choice. (06/17/2008)

By Sadie

CD Crafts

I take the cds and place them flat on top a glass bowl, place them on a cookie sheet lined with foil, and place them in the oven at 300 degrees F for about 30 minutes. The time might vary depending on your stove. Check about every 10 minutes or so. The cd will melt over the bowl, but you can get some funny looking bowls.

It is better to do this in a well ventilated kitchen. Do not use a higher temp. You can paint them or whatever. I use them for candy dishes, small candle holders, jewelry holder for you girls, coin holder for loose change. I almost forgot I sand the cds down because it makes it easier to paint because sometimes all the writing doesn't melt.

Good luck. Angie (06/18/2008)

By pauley

CD Crafts

allfreecrafts.com CD Letter Holder

Recycle several cd's to hold notes or letters.
http://www.allfreecrafts.com/mothers-day/cd-letter-holder.shtml

Timmy the Turtle CD Magnet
http://www.allfreecrafts.com/kids/turtle-cd.shtml

Transform an old CD into a turtle fridge magnet. Recycled CD Memo Bunny
http://www.allfreecrafts.com/easter/recycled-cd-memo-bunny.shtml
Make an Easter bunny memo board from an old CD.

Here's some more to skim thru:
http://flickr.com/search/?q=cd%20craftsandw=all (06/19/2008)

By melody_yesterday

CD Crafts

I use the old CD's for crafts at Church Camp. The kids can get really creative with Sharpie makers, paint, rubber stamps, and even big sculptures using hot glue. They like it since they can use lots of them and if they mess up they can just start over with a new one.

I have also made a wiggle wobble ladybug using the cd with a flat marble glued underneath. Decorate the top with a circle of paper and add a head. This was a little more involved, but the older kids seemed to like it. Hope this helps and keep those creative juices flowing. (06/20/2008)

By OkieLady

CD Crafts Angel Ornament

Here is my cd angel made from a half cd and a fourth of one. (10/08/2008)

By Lainey Lee

RE: CD Crafts Angel Ornament

CD Crafts

Here is something I made out of CD's. (11/16/2008)

By Myra W.

RE: CD Crafts

CD Crafts

Another CD project. (11/16/2008)

By Myra W.

RE: CD Crafts

CD Crafts

Use a heat gun on the cd and it will distort into wonderful shapes, it looks like bubbled and cracked glass. Applying the heat to the text and grove side, it produces different effects and you can also mark or write on the grove side, although this turns into brown colour as the heat distorts the cd. I applied extra heat to the centre of the cd and it collapsed inward. You can mould this carefully whilst still hot. My little experiment with the heat gun produced a really "nice candle drip disc". There's probably many more uses of the heat gun. If you know, I would love to know. (06/20/2009)

By Annchristin

CD Crafts

Here's another link:

http://www.make-stuff.com/recycling/cd.html (06/20/2009)

By Annchristin

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 17, 2008 Flag

I have a lot of used CDs which I want to recycle making some attractive crafts. Could you suggest me some craft ideas which i can do using these CDs. I have 100s of CDs with me.

Thanks,
Anand from New Delhi, India

Answers:

CD Crafts

You can glue them to your wall or a big thick cardboard. and make a cool wall art. it would be great in a kids room. (02/07/2007)

By Mia.

CD Crafts

I also had many cd's. My friend is a "Lucy" lover. So I went online, cut & pasted pics of Lucy, Fred, Ethel, Rickey and put into my pictures. Then I used my cd labeling software and put the pics on the CDs. Makes pefect decoration on shower curtain/ring, hang on walls, etc. If you have an animal theme, put different pics of animals and place on lamps, etc (02/07/2007)

CD Crafts

If you crochet you can crochet two circles and put the CD in between the two circles and you have a coaster or potpad. Here is a pic of a Halloween one I did. (02/08/2007)

By Robin Mays

RE: CD Crafts

CD Crafts

I make twirlygigs by putting them back to back on fishing line with a loop for hanging using lots of hot glue between them - the whole yard is quite the spectacle when the sun is shining on them! I dont have to drill any holes. i like to do em 7 in a row. (02/08/2007)

By Lily 59

RE: CD Crafts

CD Crafts

Glue a CD on a painter canvas and decorate with squizz paint, in geometrical motives (eg. mandala) and you have a bright 'painting' to decorate any darker wall. A.Sylvia Sommer sylvia AT evadin.com.br (02/12/2007)

By TURUL

RE: CD Crafts

CD Crafts

I saw a program on TV where CDs were cut into mosaic pieces and used them to line a birdbath in the garden. It was beautiful, as all the colourful light was reflected. I want to do this project myself! (02/19/2007)

By Cathy

CD Crafts

Break them up using strong snips and gloves into smaller pieces and glue to a styrofoam ball, your choice of size, but I recommend at least 3" Add a hanging loop and you have your own disco ball! Be sure and glue the pieces shiny side up!! (03/14/2007)

By thriftmeg

RE: CD Crafts

CD Crafts

You can use them as a little carpet for front doors, it will be easy to wash,
thanks

(04/11/2007)

By muslim

CD Crafts

They make great little clocks. At yard sales I look for frugal clocks and use the arms, etc on the CD. Also, use them for outside CHRISTMAS decorations. (07/11/2007)

By keeper60

CD Crafts

I've seen CD's used for the top of decorative windchime type items. you could drill small holes into the cd and tie string or thread, even fishing line through it. adding embelishments of your choice, charms, bells. or if you work with polymer clay you can handmake little suns moon or stars ( or anything you can imagine) and attach those to it. :) (10/16/2007)

By GROSJACQUES1

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 7, 2007 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Uses for CDs
Uses for CDs
Crafts Recycled CraftsFebruary 20, 2012
Making a Card Holder from CDs
CD Jewelry
Making Jewelry from CDs and DVDs
CD Wreath
Making a CD Christmas Wreath
Closeup of tree.
Making a Christmas Tree With Junk CDs
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 26, 2017 at 5:32:48 AM on 10.0.1.80 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.