Browsing: Crafts Using CDs

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Crafts Using CDs

Making crafts with recycled CDs is fun and cheap for adults and children alike. This is a guide about crafts using CDs.

CD Spinner Top
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 22, 2009 Flag

CD Cake TopperI decided to recycle old scratched up or non-useable CD's. So I made these into centerpieces and cake toppers and sell them for extra money. Each one is different and one of a kind or sometimes I have doubles of some figurines.

The CDs are my base and then I go from there. I buy my figurines from thrift shops and yard sales and dollar stores, and I save all my scrap material and lace to glue to my base. I also have people save me their old CDs, including thrift shops where people donate their things. The owners said they end up just throwing them away, but now they save them for me.

By Myra from Allenhurst, GA

January 24, 2006 Flag

A holder for a hand of cards from a recycled CDDo you ever get those annoying internet CD's in the mail? Tired of throwing them out? Well, don't. I decided to try something with them and it worked! I used them to make playing card holders!

Simply take two CD's and put drops of super glue on the lower half of one of them. Press the two CD's together for a minute, then let it sit out and continue drying thoroughly. You now have playing card holders - make one for all the card players in your family! See the picture, they're cute!

Cd Card Holder (recycled craft)

By Stacey from Orem, UT

July 13, 2005 Flag

We all have lots of old floppy disks and cds around thanks to AOL and CD Burners. Do you have any good uses for them?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Our school's Family Fun committee collected as many of these as possible to use as decorations for their Valentine's family dance. All the label sides that had pictures or patterns were spray painted in a variety of colors and the shiny sides were left as is. They hung them from the doorways and ceiling in the gym and when the DJ turned on the disco ball, it created a really neat light effect. They boxed them up and saved them for reusing year after year and for other activities. I know they collected so many that they had extra and they used them for the kids to paint for holiday decorations at other Family Fun activities as well.

Do ya have an old, but still working clock? Take it apart, and re-assemble onto a cd through the hole in the middle....makes a really cute clock for a child's room, or anywhere really....

Read More Answers...

December 21, 2008 Flag

CD WreathThis is a Christmas wreath using old CD's for sparkle. Can be used with or without greenery

Approximate Time: 30 minutes to 1 hour

Instructions:

Take the CD's and glue them together to make a circle. Use as many as needed for the size circle you want. I also glued two of them back to back if the wreath will be seen from both sides. If not, just use a single CD if it will be covered by the greenery.

Once you have a circle, Take the ribbon and thread it through the holes, leaving enough ribbon in each section to pull it up and cover the cd holes. Make a bow out of the remaining ribbon and glue to the wreath wherever you like.

CDWreath1_300x225.jpgYou can use this just like this, or if you have any greenery laying around, you can put the CD's on top of the greenery, or possibly glue the greenery to the back of the CD's so it shows on the outer edges or use any older type wreath and just put the CD wreath on top.

Make a hanger with the wire, and also use the wire to attach the CD wreath to the greenery.

I do not know if you can use a hot glue gun on this project as it may melt the CD's.

This makes a really shiny wreath that sparkles if the sun hits it or if lights hit it. If you wanted I think adding the small white lights to it would really make it reflective. I did not try that with mine, yet.

By Susan from Mulberry, Fl

October 9, 2009 Flag

A recycled CD and flower makes a pretty wall hanging.

Approximate Time: Half an hour

Instructions:

Using a glue gun, glue the lace to the back edge of CD so just the ruffles show on the shiny side.

Glue the strand of seed pearls around the front edge of CD just inside the lace edging.

Glue leaves and flower at center.

Make a loop out of string or ribbon. Glue to back of CD for hanging it up.

These would also look nice edged with small seashells instead of lace.

By Preserver from Winnipeg MB

July 13, 2010 Flag

I have so many CDs from my daughter growing up. I need ideas on what to make or do with them. I don't want to throw them away, but my daughter no longer wants them.

By Joy from Montgomery, AL

To the person who wrote that turning CD's into crafts was Tacky, You are wrong. It is a lot better then just letting them go into the trash. I have different thrift shops save them for me because someone donated the CD's to them and it was ones they could not use.

The art teacher at the school where I work uses them every year to let each student decorate for a christmas ornament to hang on the tree in our foyer. Lots of schools have websites where you can contact them to ask.

Read More Answers...

May 7, 2008 Flag

If you like a nice effect with a CD for card making or any thing, I put the CD in an old microwave, shiny site up. Close the door and turn it on and off. Within a second it gives you a nice crackle on the shiny part of the CD. The longer you have the microwave on, the nicer it becomes. I use that for Christmas cards. I hope you have fun

By Sara from Australia

March 22, 2010 Flag

I have a lot of CDs and I am looking for craft ideas for them. I was making coasters out of them, but I am tired of making them and would really like some different ideas. Thanks.

By Christy from Waukegan, IL

How about a cd mini album, here are the instructions. http://www.scrapbook-crazy.com/cd-mini-album.html#Basic

Also I once saw a curtain made from cds, ball and chain links and beads.

Go to www.instructables.com & type in cds in the search bar, you'll get pages & pages of ideas!

Read More Answers...

July 26, 2006 Flag

I'm looking for directions for making a hanging mobile using CDs and some foam-type of material. A friend had one hanging in her child's room and it was really cute. The body of the fish was a CD, a plastic eye was glued to it, and heavy-type material was stuck thru the CD to make a fin. Does anyone have specific directions on how to make these? Thanks!

Sarah from Brooklyn Center, MN

CD ROM Fish Craft

Instructions to make a cute, hanging fish out of old Cds.

Materials Needed:

2 Old CDs

Construction Paper

Large Wiggly Eyes

Glue

Yarn or Fishing Line

Instructions:

Using whatever color of paper you prefer, cut out the fish's lips, fins, and tail (. Glue the lips and fins to the side of the cd with the writing on it (figure 2). Set aside one of the top fins.

Cut a piece of yarn or fishing line 3 - 4 feet long. Tie a knot in one end. Run a line of glue from the hole in the center of the cd up to the top edge of the top fin that is glued onto the cd. Lay the yarn or fishing line on top of the glue so the knot is in the hole in the cd. Glue the extra top fin on top of the other top fin to cover the yarn . Spead glue all over the side of the cd that everything else is glued to. Set the other cd on top of the glue and match up all the edges. Make sure you have the side of the cd with any writing facing down into the glue.

Glue the wiggly eyes on your fish as shown in figure 6. Glue one on each side of his head. If you don't have wiggly eyes, you can also use a small white pom-pom and a black bead. This will give your fishes eyes a more 'buggy' look! The last thing you need now is a fin on the side of the fish! You will make these by using a 5 x 6 inch piece of construction paper. Accordian fold the paper. Using figure 7 for an example, you would fold the paper back and forth on the white lines. Once it is fold, hold the folds together and slip in through the hole in the center of the cd. Center the paper in the hole and unfold the ends a bit to fluff them out. Add a little glue to hole of the cd and the paper. You can now hang up your completed fish.

www.orientaltrading.com has a kit to make the fish mobile you described. It has a photo in the center and is so cute. You prolly could figure out how to do it without purchasing the kit. Good luck!

fancee

Read More Answers...

December 10, 2007 Flag

CD ElfIn order to make the picture of this craft work, without an intense reflection, I have covered the CD with invisible tape. Your actual project will allow the shine of the CD to show and reflect holiday lights. Crafting Time: 30 minutes or less

Supplies

Directions

1. Roll up the open end of the bag to make the hat brim. If your newspaper comes in a plastic sleeve, this is a great size. I got mine at a local card store. Glue this to the front and back of the CD.
  2. Glue wiggle eyes to the front of the CD below the hat. If you don't have wiggle eyes, just cut two circles from white paper and draw black circles on them, then glue these to the CD.
  3. Cover the hole in the center of the CD with a circle of red construction paper.Glue a a red pom-pom to this circle.
  4. Draw and cut a mouth from red construction paper. Glue this to the CD below the nose.
  5. Gather the plastic bag together above the CD and tie it off with a yarn or ribbon bow. Cut the bag off above where you tied it and fluff this part out to resemble a pom-pom.
  6. To hang your creation, tie a length of thin yarn or dental floss around the hat above the ribbon, then tie the ends of the yarn or floss together to make a hanger.

By Marie E. Cecchini from West Dundee, IL

Load More
Crafts Recycled CraftsFebruary 20, 2012
Storing CDs
Storing CDs and DVDs
CD Spinner Top
Making CD Spinners
CD Notepad
Making a Recycled CD Notepad
Uses for CDs
Uses for CDs
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 26, 2016 at 7:34:33 PM on 10.0.1.130 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.