Crafts Using CDs

Making crafts with recycled CDs is fun and cheap for adults and children alike. This is a guide about crafts using CDs.

November 29, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about making a card holder from CDs. A great way to reuse CDs that you do not need is to make a playing card holder.

A holder for a hand of cards from a recycled CD

June 22, 2009 Flag

I decided to recycle old scratched up or non-useable CD's. So I made these into centerpieces and cake toppers and sell them for extra money. Each one is different and one of a kind or sometimes I have doubles of some figurines.

The CDs are my base and then I go from there. I buy my figurines from thrift shops and yard sales and dollar stores, and I save all my scrap material and lace to glue to my base. I also have people save me their old CDs, including thrift shops where people donate their things. The owners said they end up just throwing them away, but now they save them for me.

By Myra from Allenhurst, GA

I loved this idea so much I went to the next boot sale and managed to get bear figures for different prices. The most 'expensive' was 40p. cheapest was 10p! Now to get crafting...

November 28, 2016 Flag

Make a lighted tree shaped decoration using old CDs. This is a guide about making a Christmas tree with junk CDs.

Closeup of tree.

November 28, 2016 Flag

CDs lend sparkle and shine to a homemade holiday wreath. This is a guide about making a CD Christmas wreath.

CD Wreath

October 9, 2009 Flag

A recycled CD and flower makes a pretty wall hanging.

Approximate Time: Half an hour

Instructions:

Using a glue gun, glue the lace to the back edge of CD so just the ruffles show on the shiny side.

Glue the strand of seed pearls around the front edge of CD just inside the lace edging.

Glue leaves and flower at center.

Make a loop out of string or ribbon. Glue to back of CD for hanging it up.

These would also look nice edged with small seashells instead of lace.

By Preserver from Winnipeg MB

That's very nice, Thanks for sharing,good luck.

May 7, 2008 Flag

If you like a nice effect with a CD for card making or any thing, I put the CD in an old microwave, shiny site up. Close the door and turn it on and off. Within a second it gives you a nice crackle on the shiny part of the CD. The longer you have the microwave on, the nicer it becomes. I use that for Christmas cards. I hope you have fun

By Sara from Australia

I have tried this but my cd's do not crackle pretty. Do you have any suggestions? Does a certain brand work better than others? Do I need to put it in water? Please email me at claireebro AT comcast.net because I too would like to use them on my Christmas Cards. Thanks - Claire

July 13, 2005 Flag

We all have lots of old floppy disks and cds around thanks to AOL and CD Burners. Do you have any good uses for them?

Our school's Family Fun committee collected as many of these as possible to use as decorations for their Valentine's family dance. All the label sides that had pictures or patterns were spray painted in a variety of colors and the shiny sides were left as is. They hung them from the doorways and ceiling in the gym and when the DJ turned on the disco ball, it created a really neat light effect. They boxed them up and saved them for reusing year after year and for other activities. I know they collected so many that they had extra and they used them for the kids to paint for holiday decorations at other Family Fun activities as well.

July 13, 2010 Flag

I have so many CDs from my daughter growing up. I need ideas on what to make or do with them. I don't want to throw them away, but my daughter no longer wants them.

By Joy from Montgomery, AL

To the person who wrote that turning CD's into crafts was Tacky, You are wrong. It is a lot better then just letting them go into the trash. I have different thrift shops save them for me because someone donated the CD's to them and it was ones they could not use.

December 10, 2007 Flag

In order to make the picture of this craft work, without an intense reflection, I have covered the CD with invisible tape. Your actual project will allow the shine of the CD to show and reflect holiday lights. Crafting Time: 30 minutes or less

Supplies

Directions

1. Roll up the open end of the bag to make the hat brim. If your newspaper comes in a plastic sleeve, this is a great size. I got mine at a local card store. Glue this to the front and back of the CD.
  2. Glue wiggle eyes to the front of the CD below the hat. If you don't have wiggle eyes, just cut two circles from white paper and draw black circles on them, then glue these to the CD.
  3. Cover the hole in the center of the CD with a circle of red construction paper.Glue a a red pom-pom to this circle.
  4. Draw and cut a mouth from red construction paper. Glue this to the CD below the nose.
  5. Gather the plastic bag together above the CD and tie it off with a yarn or ribbon bow. Cut the bag off above where you tied it and fluff this part out to resemble a pom-pom.
  6. To hang your creation, tie a length of thin yarn or dental floss around the hat above the ribbon, then tie the ends of the yarn or floss together to make a hanger.

By Marie E. Cecchini from West Dundee, IL

very cute and easy to make...thanks for the idea...

April 9, 2007 Flag

I saw an interesting window treatment the other day. A computer shop had used CDs to cover a window; overlapping two layers, to create a sort of round pane effect.

March 22, 2010 Flag

I have a lot of CDs and I am looking for craft ideas for them. I was making coasters out of them, but I am tired of making them and would really like some different ideas. Thanks.

By Christy from Waukegan, IL

How about a cd mini album, here are the instructions. http://www.scrapbook-crazy.com/cd-mini-album.html#Basic

Also I once saw a curtain made from cds, ball and chain links and beads.

July 5, 2012 Flag

This guide is about making jewelry from CDs and DVDs. Interesting jewelry can be made by repurposing those old CD's.

CD Jewelry

July 26, 2006 Flag

I'm looking for directions for making a hanging mobile using CDs and some foam-type of material. A friend had one hanging in her child's room and it was really cute. The body of the fish was a CD, a plastic eye was glued to it, and heavy-type material was stuck thru the CD to make a fin. Does anyone have specific directions on how to make these? Thanks!

Sarah from Brooklyn Center, MN

CD ROM Fish Craft

Instructions to make a cute, hanging fish out of old Cds.

Materials Needed:

2 Old CDs

Construction Paper

Large Wiggly Eyes

Glue

Yarn or Fishing Line

Instructions:

Using whatever color of paper you prefer, cut out the fish's lips, fins, and tail (. Glue the lips and fins to the side of the cd with the writing on it (figure 2). Set aside one of the top fins.

Cut a piece of yarn or fishing line 3 - 4 feet long. Tie a knot in one end. Run a line of glue from the hole in the center of the cd up to the top edge of the top fin that is glued onto the cd. Lay the yarn or fishing line on top of the glue so the knot is in the hole in the cd. Glue the extra top fin on top of the other top fin to cover the yarn . Spead glue all over the side of the cd that everything else is glued to. Set the other cd on top of the glue and match up all the edges. Make sure you have the side of the cd with any writing facing down into the glue.

Glue the wiggly eyes on your fish as shown in figure 6. Glue one on each side of his head. If you don't have wiggly eyes, you can also use a small white pom-pom and a black bead. This will give your fishes eyes a more 'buggy' look! The last thing you need now is a fin on the side of the fish! You will make these by using a 5 x 6 inch piece of construction paper. Accordian fold the paper. Using figure 7 for an example, you would fold the paper back and forth on the white lines. Once it is fold, hold the folds together and slip in through the hole in the center of the cd. Center the paper in the hole and unfold the ends a bit to fluff them out. Add a little glue to hole of the cd and the paper. You can now hang up your completed fish.

September 23, 2005 Flag

I would like to find complete directions on how to make costume jewelery pins out of 'free' CD's. I know you 'warm' them before you cut shapes and use acrylic paints but does anyone have any more tips or directions?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Crafts Recycled CraftsFebruary 20, 2012
Storing CDs
Storing CDs and DVDs
CD Spinner Top
Making CD Spinners
CD Notepad
Making a Recycled CD Notepad
Uses for CDs
Uses for CDs
🎉
🎄