Crafts Using CDs

Making crafts with recycled CDs is fun and cheap for adults and children alike. This is a guide about crafts using CDs.

June 22, 2009 Flag

CD Cake TopperI decided to recycle old scratched up or non-useable CD's. So I made these into centerpieces and cake toppers and sell them for extra money. Each one is different and one of a kind or sometimes I have doubles of some figurines.

The CDs are my base and then I go from there. I buy my figurines from thrift shops and yard sales and dollar stores, and I save all my scrap material and lace to glue to my base. I also have people save me their old CDs, including thrift shops where people donate their things. The owners said they end up just throwing them away, but now they save them for me.

By Myra from Allenhurst, GA

I love this idea! Super way to recycle items. Great job!

I loved this idea so much I went to the next boot sale and managed to get bear figures for different prices. The most 'expensive' was 40p. cheapest was 10p! Now to get crafting...

January 24, 2006 Flag

A holder for a hand of cards from a recycled CDDo you ever get those annoying internet CD's in the mail? Tired of throwing them out? Well, don't. I decided to try something with them and it worked! I used them to make playing card holders!

Simply take two CD's and put drops of super glue on the lower half of one of them. Press the two CD's together for a minute, then let it sit out and continue drying thoroughly. You now have playing card holders - make one for all the card players in your family! See the picture, they're cute!

Cd Card Holder (recycled craft)

By Stacey from Orem, UT

Wonderful Idea for nursing homes, rehabilition hospitals, anywhere people have difficulty holding things because of injured or arthritic fingers/hands. Terrific

Great idea. This will be useful for my little son.

December 21, 2008 Flag

CD WreathThis is a Christmas wreath using old CD's for sparkle. Can be used with or without greenery

Approximate Time: 30 minutes to 1 hour

Take the CD's and glue them together to make a circle. Use as many as needed for the size circle you want. I also glued two of them back to back if the wreath will be seen from both sides. If not, just use a single CD if it will be covered by the greenery.

Once you have a circle, Take the ribbon and thread it through the holes, leaving enough ribbon in each section to pull it up and cover the cd holes. Make a bow out of the remaining ribbon and glue to the wreath wherever you like.

CDWreath1_300x225.jpgYou can use this just like this, or if you have any greenery laying around, you can put the CD's on top of the greenery, or possibly glue the greenery to the back of the CD's so it shows on the outer edges or use any older type wreath and just put the CD wreath on top.

Make a hanger with the wire, and also use the wire to attach the CD wreath to the greenery.

I do not know if you can use a hot glue gun on this project as it may melt the CD's.

This makes a really shiny wreath that sparkles if the sun hits it or if lights hit it. If you wanted I think adding the small white lights to it would really make it reflective. I did not try that with mine, yet.

By Susan from Mulberry, Fl

This wreath is beautiful !!! The light reflecting off of the CD's is awesome !!!

What a great idea! I've saved old cd's for years and now I know what to do with them! Wish I had seen this before Christmas but there's always next year.

October 9, 2009 Flag

A recycled CD and flower makes a pretty wall hanging.

Approximate Time: Half an hour

Using a glue gun, glue the lace to the back edge of CD so just the ruffles show on the shiny side.

Glue the strand of seed pearls around the front edge of CD just inside the lace edging.

Glue leaves and flower at center.

Make a loop out of string or ribbon. Glue to back of CD for hanging it up.

These would also look nice edged with small seashells instead of lace.

By Preserver from Winnipeg MB

That's very nice, Thanks for sharing,good luck.

May 7, 2008 Flag

July 13, 2005 Flag

We all have lots of old floppy disks and cds around thanks to AOL and CD Burners. Do you have any good uses for them?

I worked for a lady who did a lot of odd & wonderful mosaic work with found objects. A personal favorite of mine was a kitchen chair (yard sale find) she'd painted shiny black, then mosaiced with broken cd's, shiny side up of course, roughly dime sized shards. She said she microwaved them for a couple seconds first, which gave them a slight crackled finish, then laid them between dish towels & hit with a hammer till most were the right size. Then arrange, gluing as you go with a good glue like E6000 or Household GOOP.

I'm sure you could use this "discoball" effect on all kinds of items.

Our school's Family Fun committee collected as many of these as possible to use as decorations for their Valentine's family dance. All the label sides that had pictures or patterns were spray painted in a variety of colors and the shiny sides were left as is. They hung them from the doorways and ceiling in the gym and when the DJ turned on the disco ball, it created a really neat light effect. They boxed them up and saved them for reusing year after year and for other activities. I know they collected so many that they had extra and they used them for the kids to paint for holiday decorations at other Family Fun activities as well.

July 13, 2010 Flag

I have so many CDs from my daughter growing up. I need ideas on what to make or do with them. I don't want to throw them away, but my daughter no longer wants them.

By Joy from Montgomery, AL

I think that they might be of more use if you donated them to charity. They would then be used instead of being "tackified" by crafting with them.

To the person who wrote that turning CD's into crafts was Tacky, You are wrong. It is a lot better then just letting them go into the trash. I have different thrift shops save them for me because someone donated the CD's to them and it was ones they could not use.

December 10, 2007 Flag

CD ElfIn order to make the picture of this craft work, without an intense reflection, I have covered the CD with invisible tape. Your actual project will allow the shine of the CD to show and reflect holiday lights. Crafting Time: 30 minutes or less

1. Roll up the open end of the bag to make the hat brim. If your newspaper comes in a plastic sleeve, this is a great size. I got mine at a local card store. Glue this to the front and back of the CD.
  2. Glue wiggle eyes to the front of the CD below the hat. If you don't have wiggle eyes, just cut two circles from white paper and draw black circles on them, then glue these to the CD.
  3. Cover the hole in the center of the CD with a circle of red construction paper.Glue a a red pom-pom to this circle.
  4. Draw and cut a mouth from red construction paper. Glue this to the CD below the nose.
  5. Gather the plastic bag together above the CD and tie it off with a yarn or ribbon bow. Cut the bag off above where you tied it and fluff this part out to resemble a pom-pom.
  6. To hang your creation, tie a length of thin yarn or dental floss around the hat above the ribbon, then tie the ends of the yarn or floss together to make a hanger.

By Marie E. Cecchini from West Dundee, IL

very cute and easy to make...thanks for the idea...

April 9, 2007 Flag

I saw an interesting window treatment the other day. A computer shop had used CDs to cover a window; overlapping two layers, to create a sort of round pane effect.

March 22, 2010 Flag

I have a lot of CDs and I am looking for craft ideas for them. I was making coasters out of them, but I am tired of making them and would really like some different ideas. Thanks.

By Christy from Waukegan, IL

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My daughter received a sun catcher or wind chime style gift. It had 3 CD's that had feathers and glitter and inscriptions on them. They were joined together with fine plastic clear fishing line at different levels. There was lots of glitter glue too. She absolutely loved it (Miss 4 years) I think it was very cute and could easily be made more adult like via how you decorate it.

cheers, AussieDanielle

wilcocassie AT if you have questions

How about a cd mini album, here are the instructions.

Also I once saw a curtain made from cds, ball and chain links and beads.

Load More
Crafts Recycled CraftsFebruary 20, 2012
Storing CDs
Storing CDs and DVDs
CD Spinner Top
Making CD Spinners
CD Notepad
Making a Recycled CD Notepad
Uses for CDs
Uses for CDs