Cleaning Money and Change

I have dollars covered with oil or ink. How can I clean them?

Your bank will exchange them for you but if you don't want to bother with that you can soak them in vinegar and warm water. :-)

August 31, 2010 Flag

How do I clean money that went through hurricane Katrina?

Deanna from Pollock, LA

Cleaning Money and Change

Try to exchange it at the bank. (12/08/2006)

By Val

Cleaning Money and Change

Vinegar will make your change shine. Bleach them to neutralize, then rinse them well with water. If more people did this our coins would be a lot safer to handle. :) (12/09/2006)

Cleaning Money and Change

Ever find a dollar bill left in some pocket that went through both washer and dryer? Ever seen a faded dollar bill? I'd simply place the bills AND coins in a net zippered bag, secure it with a safety pin, then soak them in the lavatory sink with a little dawn and bleach, then check them for cleanliness.

If needed, soak them for several days, but not too long because the metal might rust more. If rusty, I'd use rust remover on each coin and wipe with paper towels until clear, then wash in soap/water. All money is made to be tough, don't you think?

Good luck and God bless you. : ) (12/15/2006)

By Lynda

Cleaning Money and Change

I have a minor case of OCD, and I am so terrified of what is living on those bills and coins. I use dawn and bleach then I scrub them with a toothbrush, then let them soak in scrubbing bubbles. It works well. (01/15/2007)

December 8, 2006 Flag

Has anyone every thought of how many people handle the same money they do? I am talking thousands and thousands, over and over. I sometimes will disinfect my change, either in dish soap (can't name it but there is one liquid dish soap) that kills both bacteria and viruses.

Also I have put the change in an old bowl and soaked it in liquid laundry soap. There are a lot of bacteria and even blood etc. that is on money,,
Just something for your readers to think about.

Cleaning Money and Change

My boyfriend & I are serious hand washers. I don't clean my money but I wash my hands constantly. Especially at work where people have no problem spreading their colds & other germs all over the place. I work in a 3 person division & 1 guy gets about 2 colds a yr. He is a selfish pig & coughs with his mouth open. So I have alcohol pads I keep in one of my drawers at work. I can swab by hands, the phone, keyboard etc. It has kept me from getting his crap consistently. I've also yelled at him enough that he now stays home on the worst days! (03/25/2005)

By Vicki

Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousAugust 31, 2010
Quart of Oil, Rag and Funnel
Saving Money on Oil Changes
Loose Change on White Background
Finding Loose Change
Photo of lots of loose change.
Organizing Change
Brick Chimney
Saving Money on Chimney Cleaning