Spring CleaningCleaning

Donating Your Extras

If you are cleaning your closets, basement, or garage now, consider donating your unwanted items to the Goodwill, Amvets, Salvation Army, or some other worthy charity. They will give you a receipt for your goods if you ask, as your donations are tax-deductible if you itemize your return. Even if you don't use the deduction, you are doing a good deed, AND cleaning up your home!

By Ness from Lakeview, NY

By guest client (Guest Post)

Even if it's old t-shirts with holes, some places like goodwill & salvation army, cuts these up & resells as cleaning rags. :-)

Hi,

I have bags of clothing and some toys/ stuffed animals I am interesting in donating to charity. i live in midtown Manhattan and am wondering if any places will come to my building to pick up the clothing and box of toys? Please respond to nikkibaksh (at) yahoo (dot) com

Some places will pick up items. I am not sure about your area but you could try calling Salvation Army Stores and Goodwill stores near you.

Salvation Army Thrift Store Locator

http://www.salv  ores/index.shtml

Goodwill Locator

http://locator.goodwill.org

Donations to a second hand store are NOT tax deductible if you live in Canada. Great idea to give to those organizations, which I do. But, we get no receipt.

You can also check into freecycle.org and join the group for your area. Great way to share.

If you plan a tax deduction, don't forget to use your handy instant camera to take and store photos of the things donated. It can be used to confirm their value.

I take the donated items off my taxes, but I have a nice bit of help in deciding what they are worth: it's a software called "IT'S DEDUCTIBLE" and it's so great! They went to thrift stores in all parts of the country to see what things are worth, including brand names on things like jeans. NOTE: IRS rules do not allow you to write off things that were a gift to you. You must have purchased the items. Give that software a look, you can download it, it's supercheep and pays for itself many times over. In doing the photo of the items before they get donated, I just spread them all over my bed and do one photo. God bless one and all!

Some churches accept donations of goods for resale with proceeds going for mission work or to pass out to needy families. Check with the churches in your area. You'll be blessed.

We have an on-line group (another Yahoo group) here in Richmond VA called Freecycle. You can post offers for things you want someone to come pick up and needs/wants for things you might need. I have given some useful things away to some in need and I've gotten some useful things that I or a family member or friend could use.

Closet purge yielded 2 bags of what I would say are a bit more than gently used shirts from my hubby and I. Any ideas to keep these from being hacked into cleaning rags so soon at the local Goodwill? These are all cotton and most are J.Crew, Lands End etc. I want to see them used by someone or as a craft material.