Browsing: Getting Rid of Gnats

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Getting Rid of Gnats

Seeing spots zipping past your eyes? It could be the dreaded gnat. These tiny insects multiply rapidly and can become very annoying. This is a guide about getting rid of gnats.

Furious girl with a fly swatter.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

July 15, 2016 Flag

I noticed that I had gnats flying around in my room, 1 or 2 here and there. Then I saw something on my carpet trim and when I pulled the carpet back a little, I saw that there were at least 80 or more larvae. I assume that they are gnat larvae. Well I used a bleach water mixure and sprayed it on them, but they were still moving. I eventually made sure to kill them all, but I have never seen this before and was wondering what you knew about it and what I can do to prevent it.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Did you get rid of those gnats? If you have flying bugs of anytype, put up that tape they sell from drug store. We had a more than a few flys outside our door for some reason and they are there NO MORE- thanks to the tape. I even hung one up by the back door close to the kitchen... Flys/gnats are disgusting. Praying you get Peace with this Carpet.

Read More Answers...

September 13, 2011 Flag

I also have a gnat problem again this year. The only thing that worked for me was to take a 9 oz. or larger glass, make a funnel out of paper (computer or notebook) with a tiny opening at bottom. Make the top (opening for gnat entrance) large enough to fit in the glass and use tape to hold it in place. I found they will find a way out if the bottom funnel hole is too large and or if the top part isn't taped securely around the glass. Funnel made from notebook paper.

Pour enough apple cider vinegar in glass (before adding funnel), to get it as close as possible to bottom of funnel. The smell of vinegar attracts them to the funnel and in they go and can't get out. You'll see them walking around inside the glass trying every way possible to get out. They'll get tired and drown in the apple cider vinegar. Place these where you see them the most, in the kitchen, bathroom, laundry room, etc. They like moist areas. Remember to redo every couple days. I tried plastic cups, but for some reason, they go to the glass better. Good luck!

By adbdnc from NH

Paper funnel down inside of drinking glass. Trapped gnats visible in the glass.

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 10, 2015 Flag

Gnats and fruit flies love sweet liquids. You don't have to use wine, although they do like it. Add a few drops of dishwashing liquid (only about 3) to wine and slowly stir this makes a film on the surface that the bugs get trapped in.

I noticed I had a small gnat or fruit fly problem a few weeks back. I tried everything. Eventually I gave up and tried to cope with small traps here and there. Then one week I had a can of monster energy drink. I had one sip out of it before about 25 gnats swarmed it and were all over me. They really like Monster...lol. So I put the Monster into a wine bottle added a bit of dish soap, swished it slowly to mix and set it next to the litter box. Caught about 50 in 10 mins. Best of all Monster doesn't seem to rot or stink, so just scoop the bugs out and reuse for bait.

Source: Tried it myself

October 21, 2015 Flag

We has recently noticed gnats in the kitchen here and there. I walked into my daughter's room and her closet is infested with gnats, the master bathroom, and main bathroom are the same way just not as bad! I have the apple cider mixture sitting in each room, but it seems like they are getting worse instead of better. Are there any other suggestions for this problem or just continue with the apple cider?

Since I first read your post, I had a serious problem with gnats. I hung sticky strips, just as you did, (Dollar Tree, 3 for a dollar). They are catching gnats like crazy! I didn't even hang them over anything, just hung them. Thanks for the tip.

Doug

Read More Answers...

March 10, 2009 Flag

Recently our house has been overrun with gnats. I followed all your suggestions, nothing worked. I finally called an exterminator, he couldn't come but he told us to pour scalding water down every drain in our house and follow it up with bleach.

They said we may have to do it several times before we can see it is effective. We used 2 gallons of scalding hot water for each drain and followed up with a quart of bleach for each drain. I wanted to pass this along cause it is really a problem this year.

Source: This information came from an exterminator.

September 6, 2012 Flag

Everyone knows how annoying gnats can be. Once they are there, it's very hard to get rid of. They nest in damp places, such as sink drains. If you want to get rid of them pour a couple of tablespoons of white vinegar into a small bowl.

May 23, 2016 Flag

I have a pontoon boat that we just took out of storage and is now at the boat slip. We have gnats everywhere. What can I use to get rid of them?

June 19, 2011 Flag

We have gnats which are taking over. What is the safest way to get rid of them? They are in our bedroom, as well as the rest of our home, but mainly concentrated in the kitchen and our master bedroom.

By Heather from Smyrna, TN

I have tried following methods and these work like a charm against gnats:

1. We have used Bleach with luke warm water it works superbly against fungus and other biting gnats.

2. We have also used a manning trap against them and it works.

3. Gnats hate the smell of Cloves, Citrus Fruits, Lavender so you could use them for keeping gnats away.

I have come across a detailed resource that enlists some other methods: http://www.getridoffliesguide.com/h ... -gnats-inside-house-kitchen-outside/

Read More Answers...

September 30, 2015 Flag

How do gnats get into an oven?

A female pregnant gnat can be trapped in the oven and lay her eggs there. Then, if you do not use the oven for a day or two, the new baby gnats will be released from the oven when you next open it.

April 7, 2013 Flag

What can I spray or rub on the screen to keeps these gnats from coming into my bedroom?! I don't want a trap that lures them in and then kills them, I want something that repels and keeps them off my screens and out of my room. Please help.

By Nicole S.

Cut a lemon in half and stick a bunch of cloves into it and place them on opposite sides of your bedroom

Read More Answers...

July 15, 2008 Flag

Dog in yard.We go the lake a lot and gnats drive him crazy. If anyone know of what too use on my dog, please let me know.

Pat from IN

I live in an area where there are gnats and no-seeums, both of which go after my dogs. I rub them down from head to toe with white vinegar. It even keeps the fleas and ticks away, and I don't have to worry about them getting sick.

Read More Answers...

November 19, 2015 Flag

I have tried a lot of these tips. Honestly, the best way I have tried was bleach down the drain and the fly traps.

April 3, 2012 Flag

Do you have something to catch gnats? I need some ideas for making a trap.

By Marie M

I made the mistake of using hedge apples to try to get rid of spiders, and instead I got a house full of gnats. :-( I put small bowls of vinegar out, with enough veg oil on top to thinly cover it. I was amazed at how many of those pesky gnats I caught in them. Literally hundreds of them.

Read More Answers...

September 9, 2006 Flag

Forget dawn dish soap and whatever mixed with it, forget bug spray ...

January 18, 2011 Flag

How do you get rid of gnats?

By Finis

Yep, she is right. But, to keep the water adhesion down, drop in a few drops of dish washing liquid.

Works every time!

Read More Answers...

August 10, 2010 Flag

I have fungus gnats (that do bite) and or biting midges, and they are wreaking havoc with biting me and my dog. My carpet was brand new 2 years ago and shampooed frequently and almost dry when finished. The gnats or other insects are also leaving larvae and gooey brown stuff and sticky runny stuff on my things. Everywhere.

What do I do and how do I get rid of them in my house and stop them from biting us? They are all over the place. I am not a dirty person either. My dog gets a bath regularly and is on all preventions. Thanks.

By Barbara from Richmond, VA

Our gnat infestation came courtesy of the 7 cords of firewood we brought into our basement for this winter's heating. Even though the wood had been "drying" outside for almost five months, it had been a wet summer. We used a combination of apple cider vinegar and dish detergent placed throughout the basement and upstairs rooms, fly paper strips, and up close and personal squishing!

What seemed to work best was the fly strips hung in windows, with as many as six strips forming a curtain. (The gnats seem to favor light and would congregate during the day in sunlit windows; at night they'd flock to light bulbs.) Regarding Hot Shot Pest Strips (as with most chemicals): the instructions on the package are clear in their warnings about their danger to all living things and food; just because you can't smell it doesn't mean it's safe! Take the time to pursue pests with safe products.

Read More Answers...

July 12, 2005 Flag

I am having problems with gnats in my basement. I don't know what they are attracted to. I don't have any live pants or food in the basement. They seem to be multiplying. How can I get rid of them?

Mary

They are probably fungus gnats. They have to be breeding somewhere. If you can find the source (think damp/moist places) there is a product from Garden's Alive called No More Gnats, that I use on my houseplants when I start to see gnats.

September 14, 2011 Flag

To create a gnat trap, take an empty 2 liter bottle, cut off the top 1/3, pour in some sweet pickle juice or vinegar/sugar combo, then invert the top and fit it into the bottom containing the mixture.

Load More
            Home and Garden Pest Control GnatsAugust 21, 2011
            woman caring for a peace plant
            Getting Rid of Fungus Gnats
            Insect Repellant
            Repelling Gnats Outside
            Diaper Pail
            Getting Rid of Gnats in a Diaper Pail
            Getting Rid of Gnats in a Litter Box
            Getting Rid of Gnats in a Litter Box
            © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 22, 2016 at 7:03:28 PM on 10.0.0.67 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.