Browsing: Getting Rid of Gnats

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Getting Rid of Gnats

Seeing spots zipping past your eyes? It could be the dreaded gnat. These tiny insects multiply rapidly and can become very annoying. This is a guide about getting rid of gnats.

Furious girl with a fly swatter.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

September 13, 2011 Flag

I also have a gnat problem again this year. The only thing that worked for me was to take a 9 oz. or larger glass, make a funnel out of paper (computer or notebook) with a tiny opening at bottom. Make the top (opening for gnat entrance) large enough to fit in the glass and use tape to hold it in place. I found they will find a way out if the bottom funnel hole is too large and or if the top part isn't taped securely around the glass. Funnel made from notebook paper.

Pour enough apple cider vinegar in glass (before adding funnel), to get it as close as possible to bottom of funnel. The smell of vinegar attracts them to the funnel and in they go and can't get out. You'll see them walking around inside the glass trying every way possible to get out. They'll get tired and drown in the apple cider vinegar. Place these where you see them the most, in the kitchen, bathroom, laundry room, etc. They like moist areas. Remember to redo every couple days. I tried plastic cups, but for some reason, they go to the glass better. Good luck!

By adbdnc from NH

Paper funnel down inside of drinking glass. Trapped gnats visible in the glass.

August 10, 2015 Flag

Gnats and fruit flies love sweet liquids. You don't have to use wine, although they do like it. Add a few drops of dishwashing liquid (only about 3) to wine and slowly stir this makes a film on the surface that the bugs get trapped in.

I noticed I had a small gnat or fruit fly problem a few weeks back. I tried everything. Eventually I gave up and tried to cope with small traps here and there. Then one week I had a can of monster energy drink. I had one sip out of it before about 25 gnats swarmed it and were all over me. They really like Monster...lol. So I put the Monster into a wine bottle added a bit of dish soap, swished it slowly to mix and set it next to the litter box. Caught about 50 in 10 mins. Best of all Monster doesn't seem to rot or stink, so just scoop the bugs out and reuse for bait.

Source: Tried it myself

March 10, 2009 Flag

Recently our house has been overrun with gnats. I followed all your suggestions, nothing worked. I finally called an exterminator, he couldn't come but he told us to pour scalding water down every drain in our house and follow it up with bleach.

July 15, 2016 Flag

I noticed that I had gnats flying around in my room, 1 or 2 here and there. Then I saw something on my carpet trim and when I pulled the carpet back a little, I saw that there were at least 80 or more larvae. I assume that they are gnat larvae. Well I used a bleach water mixure and sprayed it on them, but they were still moving. I eventually made sure to kill them all, but I have never seen this before and was wondering what you knew about it and what I can do to prevent it.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Gnats flying around in homes are usually fungus gnats that lay their eggs in moist plant soil. The larvae you saw were not from fungus gnats. They could have been from silverfish, various beetles, earwigs, etc.

Did you get rid of those gnats? If you have flying bugs of anytype, put up that tape they sell from drug store. We had a more than a few flys outside our door for some reason and they are there NO MORE- thanks to the tape. I even hung one up by the back door close to the kitchen... Flys/gnats are disgusting. Praying you get Peace with this Carpet.

September 6, 2012 Flag

Everyone knows how annoying gnats can be. Once they are there, it's very hard to get rid of. They nest in damp places, such as sink drains. If you want to get rid of them pour a couple of tablespoons of white vinegar into a small bowl.

October 21, 2015 Flag

We has recently noticed gnats in the kitchen here and there. I walked into my daughter's room and her closet is infested with gnats, the master bathroom, and main bathroom are the same way just not as bad! I have the apple cider mixture sitting in each room, but it seems like they are getting worse instead of better. Are there any other suggestions for this problem or just continue with the apple cider?

Gnats are not fruit flies. They are two different animals. Gnats are not attracted to vinegar. Most types are attracted to human secretions, particularly mucin. But, you didn't say the flies flew about your face. I think that rules out gnats.

Fruit flies are attracted to fruit and to a much lesser degree, apple cider vinegar. In theory, placing bits of fruit in a cup partly filled with water laced with a drop of detergent seems a good idea. many go into the water and don't come out.

As seen in Sandi's picture, many 'guards' never will enter the water. They will hang around and procreate, giving you more than you started with.

I think you did the very best thing by hanging the sticky strips over the vinegar. You probably would have gotten even faster results had you placed the strips near an over ripe banana.

Since I first read your post, I had a serious problem with gnats. I hung sticky strips, just as you did, (Dollar Tree, 3 for a dollar). They are catching gnats like crazy! I didn't even hang them over anything, just hung them. Thanks for the tip.

Doug

June 19, 2011 Flag

We have gnats which are taking over. What is the safest way to get rid of them? They are in our bedroom, as well as the rest of our home, but mainly concentrated in the kitchen and our master bedroom.

By Heather from Smyrna, TN

I just moved into an apartment. I've found a lot of dirty little overlooked areas, like caked on food on the trim of dishwasher, stove, floor corners. The gnats were coming from the pipe that is a bit larger than the drain hose from the washer stuck inside of it.

Solution...rubberbands (for now), take the hose out of drain pipe, slip the rubberbands onto the pipe &/or drain, I used several. Stick the hose back into the pipe, and reattach the little security band that keeps it in there. Wrap a piece of scrap fabric, or old towel all around and overlapping where hose and pipe meet.

Slip those rubberbands over each one, some on the pipe and some on the hose. Prevent them from flying out of the drain. It really stinks. I have run several loads of bleach rags down already, from all the gunk I cleaned up. I will have maintenance come and deal with the odor.

Best of luck with this problem!

I have tried following methods and these work like a charm against gnats:

1. We have used Bleach with luke warm water it works superbly against fungus and other biting gnats.

2. We have also used a manning trap against them and it works.

3. Gnats hate the smell of Cloves, Citrus Fruits, Lavender so you could use them for keeping gnats away.

I have come across a detailed resource that enlists some other methods: http://www.getridoffliesguide.com/h ... -gnats-inside-house-kitchen-outside/

November 19, 2015 Flag

I have tried a lot of these tips. Honestly, the best way I have tried was bleach down the drain and the fly traps.

September 9, 2006 Flag

Forget dawn dish soap and whatever mixed with it, forget bug spray ...

September 30, 2015 Flag

How do gnats get into an oven?

A female pregnant gnat can be trapped in the oven and lay her eggs there. Then, if you do not use the oven for a day or two, the new baby gnats will be released from the oven when you next open it.

April 7, 2013 Flag

What can I spray or rub on the screen to keeps these gnats from coming into my bedroom?! I don't want a trap that lures them in and then kills them, I want something that repels and keeps them off my screens and out of my room. Please help.

Load More
Home and Garden Pest Control GnatsAugust 21, 2011
woman caring for a peace plant
Getting Rid of Fungus Gnats
Insect Repellant
Repelling Gnats Outside
Diaper Pail
Getting Rid of Gnats in a Diaper Pail
Getting Rid of Gnats in a Litter Box
Getting Rid of Gnats in a Litter Box
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 24, 2016 at 9:41:16 AM on 10.0.2.55 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.