Getting Rid of Gnats

Seeing spots zipping past your eyes? It could be the dreaded gnat. These tiny insects multiply rapidly and can become very annoying. This is a guide about getting rid of gnats.

September 13, 2011 Flag

I also have a gnat problem again this year. The only thing that worked for me was to take a 9 oz. or larger glass, make a funnel out of paper (computer or notebook) with a tiny opening at bottom. Make the top (opening for gnat entrance) large enough to fit in the glass and use tape to hold it in place. I found they will find a way out if the bottom funnel hole is too large and or if the top part isn't taped securely around the glass.

Pour enough apple cider vinegar in glass (before adding funnel), to get it as close as possible to bottom of funnel. The smell of vinegar attracts them to the funnel and in they go and can't get out. You'll see them walking around inside the glass trying every way possible to get out. They'll get tired and drown in the apple cider vinegar. Place these where you see them the most, in the kitchen, bathroom, laundry room, etc. They like moist areas. Remember to redo every couple days. I tried plastic cups, but for some reason, they go to the glass better. Good luck!

By adbdnc from NH

You can just add a few drops of dish soap to the apple cider vinegar and you do not need a funnel. I use glass baby food jars.

August 10, 2015 Flag

Gnats and fruit flies love sweet liquids. You don't have to use wine, although they do like it. Add a few drops of dishwashing liquid (only about 3) to wine and slowly stir this makes a film on the surface that the bugs get trapped in.

I noticed I had a small gnat or fruit fly problem a few weeks back. I tried everything. Eventually I gave up and tried to cope with small traps here and there. Then one week I had a can of monster energy drink. I had one sip out of it before about 25 gnats swarmed it and were all over me. They really like Monster...lol. So I put the Monster into a wine bottle added a bit of dish soap, swished it slowly to mix and set it next to the litter box. Caught about 50 in 10 mins. Best of all Monster doesn't seem to rot or stink, so just scoop the bugs out and reuse for bait.

Source: Tried it myself

Thanks for the tip! Those buggers are indeed annoying. I have used pancake syrup mixed with water and soap. Worked pretty well!

March 10, 2009 Flag

Recently our house has been overrun with gnats. I followed all your suggestions, nothing worked. I finally called an exterminator, he couldn't come but he told us to pour scalding water down every drain in our house and follow it up with bleach.

November 28, 2016 Flag

Does anyone know how to get rid of the biting gnats (not fruit flies, not normal gnats)? These are not attracted to cider vinegar, soap, or fruit. I had a dozen of these scattered around the house, and they did catch normal gnats, but not these biting ones. These are not killed with "flying insect killer" (biting gnats are the one exception listed on can). I tried it anyway, but it didn't work.

They bite mercilessly when I'm watching TV or on the computer. My son accidentally brought these back from Costa Rica and nothing seems to work. I hung pest strips and bug zappers right behind my head while watching TV for days with no help. I have been battling these for over a year. Sometimes they fly between me and the computer screen, but are so small and quick, I can't seem to kill them. Any useful ideas?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 6, 2012 Flag

Everyone knows how annoying gnats can be. Once they are there, it's very hard to get rid of. They nest in damp places, such as sink drains. If you want to get rid of them pour a couple of tablespoons of white vinegar into a small bowl.

October 21, 2015 Flag

We has recently noticed gnats in the kitchen here and there. I walked into my daughter's room and her closet is infested with gnats, the master bathroom, and main bathroom are the same way just not as bad! I have the apple cider mixture sitting in each room, but it seems like they are getting worse instead of better. Are there any other suggestions for this problem or just continue with the apple cider?

Since I first read your post, I had a serious problem with gnats. I hung sticky strips, just as you did, (Dollar Tree, 3 for a dollar). They are catching gnats like crazy! I didn't even hang them over anything, just hung them. Thanks for the tip.

Doug

July 15, 2016 Flag

I noticed that I had gnats flying around in my room, 1 or 2 here and there. Then I saw something on my carpet trim and when I pulled the carpet back a little, I saw that there were at least 80 or more larvae. I assume that they are gnat larvae. Well I used a bleach water mixure and sprayed it on them, but they were still moving. I eventually made sure to kill them all, but I have never seen this before and was wondering what you knew about it and what I can do to prevent it.

Gnats flying around in homes are usually fungus gnats that lay their eggs in moist plant soil. The larvae you saw were not from fungus gnats. They could have been from silverfish, various beetles, earwigs, etc.

June 19, 2011 Flag

We have gnats which are taking over. What is the safest way to get rid of them? They are in our bedroom, as well as the rest of our home, but mainly concentrated in the kitchen and our master bedroom.

By Heather from Smyrna, TN

I just moved into an apartment. I've found a lot of dirty little overlooked areas, like caked on food on the trim of dishwasher, stove, floor corners. The gnats were coming from the pipe that is a bit larger than the drain hose from the washer stuck inside of it.

Solution...rubberbands (for now), take the hose out of drain pipe, slip the rubberbands onto the pipe &/or drain, I used several. Stick the hose back into the pipe, and reattach the little security band that keeps it in there. Wrap a piece of scrap fabric, or old towel all around and overlapping where hose and pipe meet.

Slip those rubberbands over each one, some on the pipe and some on the hose. Prevent them from flying out of the drain. It really stinks. I have run several loads of bleach rags down already, from all the gunk I cleaned up. I will have maintenance come and deal with the odor.

Best of luck with this problem!

September 9, 2006 Flag

Forget dawn dish soap and whatever mixed with it, forget bug spray ...

November 19, 2015 Flag

I have tried a lot of these tips. Honestly, the best way I have tried was bleach down the drain and the fly traps.

September 30, 2015 Flag

How do gnats get into an oven?

A female pregnant gnat can be trapped in the oven and lay her eggs there. Then, if you do not use the oven for a day or two, the new baby gnats will be released from the oven when you next open it.

April 7, 2013 Flag

What can I spray or rub on the screen to keeps these gnats from coming into my bedroom?! I don't want a trap that lures them in and then kills them, I want something that repels and keeps them off my screens and out of my room. Please help.

By Nicole S.

I put rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle and spray the windows. The spray will kill the knats almost instantly. Using something like this can be an attaction to children so its best to store it where they can't get it. It looks like water in the spray bottle. Also this doesn't get to the root of the knat problem. My mom poured bleach down her drains when knats got in the house.

July 15, 2008 Flag

We go the lake a lot and gnats drive him crazy. If anyone know of what too use on my dog, please let me know.

Pat from IN

For dogs try wiping petroleum jelly on the areas of the dog the flies are attracted to. It won't hurt the dog and the flies don't like it. WD 40 doesn't work and one wouldn't want a dog ingesting it.

Load More
Home and Garden Pest Control GnatsAugust 21, 2011
woman caring for a peace plant
Getting Rid of Fungus Gnats
Insect Repellant
Repelling Gnats Outside
Diaper Pail
Getting Rid of Gnats in a Diaper Pail
Getting Rid of Gnats in a Litter Box
Getting Rid of Gnats in a Litter Box
🎉
🎄