Getting Rid of Gnats

Category Gnats
Seeing spots zipping past your eyes? It could be the dreaded gnat. These tiny insects multiply rapidly and can become very annoying. This is a guide about getting rid of gnats.

I also have a gnat problem again this year. The only thing that worked for me was to take a 9 oz. or larger glass, make a funnel out of paper (computer or notebook) with a tiny opening at bottom. Make the top (opening for gnat entrance) large enough to fit in the glass and use tape to hold it in place. I found they will find a way out if the bottom funnel hole is too large and or if the top part isn't taped securely around the glass.

Pour enough apple cider vinegar in glass (before adding funnel), to get it as close as possible to bottom of funnel. The smell of vinegar attracts them to the funnel and in they go and can't get out. You'll see them walking around inside the glass trying every way possible to get out. They'll get tired and drown in the apple cider vinegar. Place these where you see them the most, in the kitchen, bathroom, laundry room, etc. They like moist areas. Remember to redo every couple days. I tried plastic cups, but for some reason, they go to the glass better. Good luck!

By adbdnc from NH

You can just add a few drops of dish soap to the apple cider vinegar and you do not need a funnel. I use glass baby food jars.

Gnats and fruit flies love sweet liquids. You don't have to use wine, although they do like it. Add a few drops of dishwashing liquid (only about 3) to wine and slowly stir this makes a film on the surface that the bugs get trapped in.

I noticed I had a small gnat or fruit fly problem a few weeks back. I tried everything. Eventually I gave up and tried to cope with small traps here and there. Then one week I had a can of monster energy drink. I had one sip out of it before about 25 gnats swarmed it and were all over me. They really like Monster...lol. So I put the Monster into a wine bottle added a bit of dish soap, swished it slowly to mix and set it next to the litter box. Caught about 50 in 10 mins. Best of all Monster doesn't seem to rot or stink, so just scoop the bugs out and reuse for bait.

Source: Tried it myself

To get rid or gnats, I pour some apple cider vinegar in a small glass and cover it with plastic wrap and then put a rubber band around the top of the glass to make it snug. I then punch some holes through the plastic wrap (not real big ones) the gnats love the vinegar. They goin but cannot get back out. Works like a charm!

Recently our house has been overrun with gnats. I followed all your suggestions, nothing worked. I finally called an exterminator, he couldn't come but he told us to pour scalding water down every drain in our house and follow it up with bleach.

They said we may have to do it several times before we can see it is effective. We used 2 gallons of scalding hot water for each drain and followed up with a quart of bleach for each drain. I wanted to pass this along cause it is really a problem this year.

Source: This information came from an exterminator.

Anonymous

Cee Cee W's recommendation works very well and doesn't adversely affect humans and our environment.

Everyone knows how annoying gnats can be. Once they are there, it's very hard to get rid of. They nest in damp places, such as sink drains. If you want to get rid of them pour a couple of tablespoons of white vinegar into a small bowl.

I have tried a lot of these tips. Honestly, the best way I have tried was bleach down the drain and the fly traps.

Forget dawn dish soap and whatever mixed with it, forget bug spray ...

To create a gnat trap, take an empty 2 liter bottle, cut off the top 1/3, pour in some sweet pickle juice or vinegar/sugar combo, then invert the top and fit it into the bottom containing the mixture.

We has recently noticed gnats in the kitchen here and there. I walked into my daughter's room and her closet is infested with gnats, the master bathroom, and main bathroom are the same way just not as bad! I have the apple cider mixture sitting in each room, but it seems like they are getting worse instead of better. Are there any other suggestions for this problem or just continue with the apple cider?

Since I first read your post, I had a serious problem with gnats. I hung sticky strips, just as you did, (Dollar Tree, 3 for a dollar). They are catching gnats like crazy! I didn't even hang them over anything, just hung them. Thanks for the tip.

Doug

Does anyone know how to get rid of the biting gnats (not fruit flies, not normal gnats)? These are not attracted to cider vinegar, soap, or fruit. I had a dozen of these scattered around the house, and they did catch normal gnats, but not these biting ones. These are not killed with "flying insect killer" (biting gnats are the one exception listed on can). I tried it anyway, but it didn't work.

They bite mercilessly when I'm watching TV or on the computer. My son accidentally brought these back from Costa Rica and nothing seems to work. I hung pest strips and bug zappers right behind my head while watching TV for days with no help. I have been battling these for over a year. Sometimes they fly between me and the computer screen, but are so small and quick, I can't seem to kill them. Any useful ideas?

They are obviously getting fed from something in your house. They can't live without water/food. Make sure everything is contained. Rub essential oil of lavender mixed with a carrier oil such as extra virgin olive oil on your body. They shouldn't bother you.

I noticed that I had gnats flying around in my room, 1 or 2 here and there. Then I saw something on my carpet trim and when I pulled the carpet back a little, I saw that there were at least 80 or more larvae. I assume that they are gnat larvae. Well I used a bleach water mixure and sprayed it on them, but they were still moving. I eventually made sure to kill them all, but I have never seen this before and was wondering what you knew about it and what I can do to prevent it.

Gnats flying around in homes are usually fungus gnats that lay their eggs in moist plant soil. The larvae you saw were not from fungus gnats. They could have been from silverfish, various beetles, earwigs, etc.

What can I spray or rub on the screen to keeps these gnats from coming into my bedroom?! I don't want a trap that lures them in and then kills them, I want something that repels and keeps them off my screens and out of my room. Please help.

By Nicole S.

I put rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle and spray the windows. The spray will kill the knats almost instantly. Using something like this can be an attaction to children so its best to store it where they can't get it. It looks like water in the spray bottle. Also this doesn't get to the root of the knat problem. My mom poured bleach down her drains when knats got in the house.

How do gnats get into an oven?

A female pregnant gnat can be trapped in the oven and lay her eggs there. Then, if you do not use the oven for a day or two, the new baby gnats will be released from the oven when you next open it.

We go the lake a lot and gnats drive him crazy. If anyone know of what too use on my dog, please let me know.

Pat from IN

For dogs try wiping petroleum jelly on the areas of the dog the flies are attracted to. It won't hurt the dog and the flies don't like it. WD 40 doesn't work and one wouldn't want a dog ingesting it.

I have a pontoon boat that we just took out of storage and is now at the boat slip. We have gnats everywhere. What can I use to get rid of them?

Do you have something to catch gnats? I need some ideas for making a trap.

By Marie M

Are you talking about fruit flies? They look like gnats so if that is what you mean, put some red wine vinegar out. Works well to put it in a bottle because they crawl in and can't get out or just use some left over wine. It works every time.

How do you get rid of gnats?

By Finis

You can set out a glass of apple cider vinegar, or red wine and they will be drawn to it and drown in the glass.

I am having problems with gnats in my basement. I don't know what they are attracted to. I don't have any live pants or food in the basement. They seem to be multiplying. How can I get rid of them?

Mary

They are probably fungus gnats. They have to be breeding somewhere. If you can find the source (think damp/moist places) there is a product from Garden's Alive called No More Gnats, that I use on my houseplants when I start to see gnats.

I need an inexpensive way to get rid of gnats. I have a client with a bad gnat problem and they are on a limited income. Thanks in advance.

By Janice from IL

Answers:

Getting Rid of Gnats

I know this works for fruit flies (which look like gnats) so maybe try it. Get a small glass or bowl, fill 1/3 with apple cider vinegar, put about 4-6 drops of cooking oil in it, leave out all over. The pests are attracted to the sweet smell, the oil causes the surface tension to be broken so when the pests try to drink the liquid they drown. You'll end up with a bowl/glass filled with the bugs in about 12-24 hours. Keep emptying and refreshing the solutions every 2 days until your unwanted "guests" are gone. (08/27/2010)

By franciemr

Getting Rid of Gnats

Clorox also works. Fill a small lid with Clorox and soon they will be gone. Good luck. (08/27/2010)

By yoder178

I have a horrible problem with gnats in my house! We left food out one day (out of laziness) and ended up with a terrible outcome. Now there are hundreds of these annoying little pests everywhere. I'm not positive if they're fruit flies, gnats, or drain gnats, etc. I've tried cider vinegar and a few other things that work a little bit, but they definitely have not gotten rid of them.

I never noticed any in my drains, but I poured vinegar followed by baking soda in them and I still haven't noticed any in them. They are so horrible that I can't even eat or cook inside my house anymore. Like I said, I've tried several things, but nothing is working. Can someone please help me! Please I'm desperate.

By Katrina from TX

Answers:

Getting Rid of Gnats

I have heard a small amount of cheap red wine in a shallow container will do it. They love it! I use a mixture of apple cider vinegar, a few drops of liquid dish soap, and a spoonful of sugar mixed up in a shallow container. They will dive right in. (07/24/2010)

By MartyD

Getting Rid of Gnats

Hey everyone, I found a proven method to get rid of gnats, once and for all.

1. Pour ammonia down every one of your drains, and immediately put the stoppers in them, leave them in overnight. Make sure you don't run any water down those drains after you have put in the ammonia. Gnats lay their eggs in the drains of your sinks and tubs.

2. Make sure you don't leave any trash out over night. Take out all garbage every night. Ladies: if you have bathroom trash with any feminine products disposed of in there, you must take out the trash daily. It's a great idea to buy a garbage can with a lid. Also, if you have garbage in the can, pour a little ammonia over the garbage, this helps. They hate that smell.

3. Do not leave wet towels laying around. They love wetness of any kind. Also, it's a good idea to cover your wet dishes drying in the drain board with a dry bath towel. Remember: Standing water is a no, no!

4. Once you have done these things, go to Home Depot and by a product called EcoSmart flying insect spray. It is safe for kids and pets and uses organic products like peppermint and cinnamon oil. It smells good and it kills the gnats.

**Now, if you have a gnat problem that is really bad, once you have gone through steps 1-4, I suggest using a fogger to kill all the gnats still flying around. This is a good way to kill them quickly. Please be safe when doing this and follow instructions on the fogger to a T.

Hope this helps, it worked for me!

(07/26/2010)

By Cecegirl

What would be a home remedy to get rid of gnats?

By Dana from Moreno Valley, CA

Answers:

Getting Rid of Gnats

If you are talking about the same annoying gnats that multiply extremely fast and nothing seems to work to get rid of them. The best way is to take a can of spray foam bug spray and spray down all your drains at night before you go to bed. They breed in the drains. Do this and you should never see them again! I've never seen it fail, if we are talking about the same gnats. (06/24/2010)

By Patty

Getting Rid of Gnats

Another alternative for drains (that doesn't smell as bad as bleach), is to pour some white vinegar down the drain, then immediately after, sprinkle some baking soda down the drain. This will create a big fizz that will subside within seconds. Then, do not use the drain for a few hours (best to do it overnight). It kills the gnats/eggs that are currently in it and prevents more from coming in! Use in all drains in house.

(07/20/2010)

By Katrina

How do you get rid of gnats?

By TammiAnnette from Tulsa, OK

Answers:

Getting Rid of Gnats

The only thing that worked for us was the pest strip that you find in the insect spray area of your local grocery store. We had tried everything, but just one of these in the kitchen area will get them. I know there are other natural remedies, but I was getting frustrated and just wanted them gone.

Chris in OK (10/06/2009)

By rmj318

Getting Rid of Gnats

The apple cider vinegar worked for us, but we added a couple of drops of dish soap. Also if you have bananas around keep them in a plastic bag or refrigerate. The skins turn dark, but the fruit doesn't. (10/07/2009)

By latrtatr

Getting Rid of Gnats

Before trashing that plant try dunking the whole plant in dish water. Make sure to immerse the whole plant and pour some in the soil. It will kill the bugs in the soil as well as on the leaves if they are infested. (10/07/2009)

By latrtatr

Getting Rid of Gnats

This might sound crazy, but what I do is use the vacuum cleaner and suck them up. It works very well, sucks them right out of mid air. You vacuum them up a couple times and they're gone. No harmful chemicals at all.

To prevent them, keep sinks clean. Spray bleach water in sinks after each use. Spray bleach water on dish rags as well. Keep all food put away out of the reach of the pests. (12/15/2009)

By bukchoy

I have tiny gnats that are flying all over my house. I have cleaned and scrubbed and tried to find anything that might be the source of them.

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.