Getting Rid of Gnats

Seeing spots zipping past your eyes? It could be the dreaded gnat. These tiny insects multiply rapidly and can become very annoying. This is a guide about getting rid of gnats.

Furious girl with a fly swatter.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Paper funnel down inside of drinking glass. Trapped gnats visible in the glass.I also have a gnat problem again this year. The only thing that worked for me was to take a 9 oz. or larger glass, make a funnel out of paper (computer or notebook) with a tiny opening at bottom. Make the top (opening for gnat entrance) large enough to fit in the glass and use tape to hold it in place. I found they will find a way out if the bottom funnel hole is too large and or if the top part isn't taped securely around the glass. Funnel made from notebook paper.

Pour enough apple cider vinegar in glass (before adding funnel), to get it as close as possible to bottom of funnel. The smell of vinegar attracts them to the funnel and in they go and can't get out. You'll see them walking around inside the glass trying every way possible to get out. They'll get tired and drown in the apple cider vinegar. Place these where you see them the most, in the kitchen, bathroom, laundry room, etc. They like moist areas. Remember to redo every couple days. I tried plastic cups, but for some reason, they go to the glass better. Good luck!

By adbdnc from NH

Paper funnel down inside of drinking glass. Trapped gnats visible in the glass.

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Gnats and fruit flies love sweet liquids. You don't have to use wine, although they do like it. Add a few drops of dishwashing liquid (only about 3) to wine and slowly stir this makes a film on the surface that the bugs get trapped in.

I noticed I had a small gnat or fruit fly problem a few weeks back. I tried everything. Eventually I gave up and tried to cope with small traps here and there. Then one week I had a can of monster energy drink. I had one sip out of it before about 25 gnats swarmed it and were all over me. They really like Monster...lol. So I put the Monster into a wine bottle added a bit of dish soap, swished it slowly to mix and set it next to the litter box. Caught about 50 in 10 mins. Best of all Monster doesn't seem to rot or stink, so just scoop the bugs out and reuse for bait.

Source: Tried it myself

We has recently noticed gnats in the kitchen here and there. I walked into my daughter's room and her closet is infested with gnats, the master bathroom, and main bathroom are the same way just not as bad! I have the apple cider mixture sitting in each room, but it seems like they are getting worse instead of better. Are there any other suggestions for this problem or just continue with the apple cider?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Since I first read your post, I had a serious problem with gnats. I hung sticky strips, just as you did, (Dollar Tree, 3 for a dollar). They are catching gnats like crazy! I didn't even hang them over anything, just hung them. Thanks for the tip.

Doug

Read More Answers...

Recently our house has been overrun with gnats. I followed all your suggestions, nothing worked. I finally called an exterminator, he couldn't come but he told us to pour scalding water down every drain in our house and follow it up with bleach.

They said we may have to do it several times before we can see it is effective. We used 2 gallons of scalding hot water for each drain and followed up with a quart of bleach for each drain. I wanted to pass this along cause it is really a problem this year.

Source: This information came from an exterminator.

Everyone knows how annoying gnats can be. Once they are there, it's very hard to get rid of. They nest in damp places, such as sink drains. If you want to get rid of them pour a couple of tablespoons of white vinegar into a small bowl.

We have gnats which are taking over. What is the safest way to get rid of them? They are in our bedroom, as well as the rest of our home, but mainly concentrated in the kitchen and our master bedroom.

By Heather from Smyrna, TN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have tried following methods and these work like a charm against gnats:

1. We have used Bleach with luke warm water it works superbly against fungus and other biting gnats.

2. We have also used a manning trap against them and it works.

3. Gnats hate the smell of Cloves, Citrus Fruits, Lavender so you could use them for keeping gnats away.

I have come across a detailed resource that enlists some other methods: http://www.getridoffliesguide.com/h ... -gnats-inside-house-kitchen-outside/

Read More Answers...

How do gnats get into an oven?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A female pregnant gnat can be trapped in the oven and lay her eggs there. Then, if you do not use the oven for a day or two, the new baby gnats will be released from the oven when you next open it.

What can I spray or rub on the screen to keeps these gnats from coming into my bedroom?! I don't want a trap that lures them in and then kills them, I want something that repels and keeps them off my screens and out of my room. Please help.

By Nicole S.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I put rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle and spray the windows. The spray will kill the knats almost instantly. Using something like this can be an attaction to children so its best to store it where they can't get it. It looks like water in the spray bottle. Also this doesn't get to the root of the knat problem. My mom poured bleach down her drains when knats got in the house.

Read More Answers...

I have tried a lot of these tips. Honestly, the best way I have tried was bleach down the drain and the fly traps.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Dog in yard.We go the lake a lot and gnats drive him crazy. If anyone know of what too use on my dog, please let me know.

Pat from IN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I live in an area where there are gnats and no-seeums, both of which go after my dogs. I rub them down from head to toe with white vinegar. It even keeps the fleas and ticks away, and I don't have to worry about them getting sick.

Read More Answers...

Do you have something to catch gnats? I need some ideas for making a trap.

By Marie M

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I made the mistake of using hedge apples to try to get rid of spiders, and instead I got a house full of gnats. :-( I put small bowls of vinegar out, with enough veg oil on top to thinly cover it. I was amazed at how many of those pesky gnats I caught in them. Literally hundreds of them.

Read More Answers...

Forget dawn dish soap and whatever mixed with it, forget bug spray ...

How do you get rid of gnats?

By Finis

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yep, she is right. But, to keep the water adhesion down, drop in a few drops of dish washing liquid.

Works every time!

Read More Answers...

I have fungus gnats (that do bite) and or biting midges, and they are wreaking havoc with biting me and my dog. My carpet was brand new 2 years ago and shampooed frequently and almost dry when finished. The gnats or other insects are also leaving larvae and gooey brown stuff and sticky runny stuff on my things. Everywhere.

What do I do and how do I get rid of them in my house and stop them from biting us? They are all over the place. I am not a dirty person either. My dog gets a bath regularly and is on all preventions. Thanks.

By Barbara from Richmond, VA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Our gnat infestation came courtesy of the 7 cords of firewood we brought into our basement for this winter's heating. Even though the wood had been "drying" outside for almost five months, it had been a wet summer. We used a combination of apple cider vinegar and dish detergent placed throughout the basement and upstairs rooms, fly paper strips, and up close and personal squishing!

What seemed to work best was the fly strips hung in windows, with as many as six strips forming a curtain. (The gnats seem to favor light and would congregate during the day in sunlit windows; at night they'd flock to light bulbs.) Regarding Hot Shot Pest Strips (as with most chemicals): the instructions on the package are clear in their warnings about their danger to all living things and food; just because you can't smell it doesn't mean it's safe! Take the time to pursue pests with safe products.

Read More Answers...

I am having problems with gnats in my basement. I don't know what they are attracted to. I don't have any live pants or food in the basement. They seem to be multiplying. How can I get rid of them?

Mary

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

They are probably fungus gnats. They have to be breeding somewhere. If you can find the source (think damp/moist places) there is a product from Garden's Alive called No More Gnats, that I use on my houseplants when I start to see gnats.

To create a gnat trap, take an empty 2 liter bottle, cut off the top 1/3, pour in some sweet pickle juice or vinegar/sugar combo, then invert the top and fit it into the bottom containing the mixture.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I need an inexpensive way to get rid of gnats. I have a client with a bad gnat problem and they are on a limited income. Thanks in advance.

By Janice from IL

Getting Rid of Gnats

I know this works for fruit flies (which look like gnats) so maybe try it. Get a small glass or bowl, fill 1/3 with apple cider vinegar, put about 4-6 drops of cooking oil in it, leave out all over. The pests are attracted to the sweet smell, the oil causes the surface tension to be broken so when the pests try to drink the liquid they drown. You'll end up with a bowl/glass filled with the bugs in about 12-24 hours. Keep emptying and refreshing the solutions every 2 days until your unwanted "guests" are gone. (08/27/2010)

By franciemr

Getting Rid of Gnats

Clorox also works. Fill a small lid with Clorox and soon they will be gone. Good luck. (08/27/2010)

By yoder178

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a horrible problem with gnats in my house! We left food out one day (out of laziness) and ended up with a terrible outcome. Now there are hundreds of these annoying little pests everywhere. I'm not positive if they're fruit flies, gnats, or drain gnats, etc. I've tried cider vinegar and a few other things that work a little bit, but they definitely have not gotten rid of them.

I never noticed any in my drains, but I poured vinegar followed by baking soda in them and I still haven't noticed any in them. They are so horrible that I can't even eat or cook inside my house anymore. Like I said, I've tried several things, but nothing is working. Can someone please help me! Please I'm desperate.

By Katrina from TX

Getting Rid of Gnats

I have heard a small amount of cheap red wine in a shallow container will do it. They love it! I use a mixture of apple cider vinegar, a few drops of liquid dish soap, and a spoonful of sugar mixed up in a shallow container. They will dive right in. (07/24/2010)

By MartyD

Getting Rid of Gnats

Hey everyone, I found a proven method to get rid of gnats, once and for all.

1. Pour ammonia down every one of your drains, and immediately put the stoppers in them, leave them in overnight. Make sure you don't run any water down those drains after you have put in the ammonia. Gnats lay their eggs in the drains of your sinks and tubs.

2. Make sure you don't leave any trash out over night. Take out all garbage every night. Ladies: if you have bathroom trash with any feminine products disposed of in there, you must take out the trash daily. It's a great idea to buy a garbage can with a lid. Also, if you have garbage in the can, pour a little ammonia over the garbage, this helps. They hate that smell.

3. Do not leave wet towels laying around. They love wetness of any kind. Also, it's a good idea to cover your wet dishes drying in the drain board with a dry bath towel. Remember: Standing water is a no, no!

4. Once you have done these things, go to Home Depot and by a product called EcoSmart flying insect spray. It is safe for kids and pets and uses organic products like peppermint and cinnamon oil. It smells good and it kills the gnats.

**Now, if you have a gnat problem that is really bad, once you have gone through steps 1-4, I suggest using a fogger to kill all the gnats still flying around. This is a good way to kill them quickly. Please be safe when doing this and follow instructions on the fogger to a T.

Hope this helps, it worked for me!

(07/26/2010)

By Cecegirl

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What would be a home remedy to get rid of gnats?

By Dana from Moreno Valley, CA

Getting Rid of Gnats

If you are talking about the same annoying gnats that multiply extremely fast and nothing seems to work to get rid of them. The best way is to take a can of spray foam bug spray and spray down all your drains at night before you go to bed. They breed in the drains. Do this and you should never see them again! I've never seen it fail, if we are talking about the same gnats. (06/24/2010)

By Patty

Getting Rid of Gnats

Another alternative for drains (that doesn't smell as bad as bleach), is to pour some white vinegar down the drain, then immediately after, sprinkle some baking soda down the drain. This will create a big fizz that will subside within seconds. Then, do not use the drain for a few hours (best to do it overnight). It kills the gnats/eggs that are currently in it and prevents more from coming in! Use in all drains in house.

(07/20/2010)

By Katrina

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do you get rid of gnats?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have tiny gnats that are flying all over my house. I have cleaned and scrubbed and tried to find anything that might be the source of them.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
        CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
        Home and Garden Pest Control GnatsAugust 21, 2011
        woman caring for a peace plant
        Getting Rid of Fungus Gnats
        Insect Repellant
        Repelling Gnats Outside
        Diaper Pail
        Getting Rid of Gnats in a Diaper Pail
        Getting Rid of Gnats in a Litter Box
        Getting Rid of Gnats in a Litter Box
        © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 29, 2016 at 10:12:09 AM on 10.0.2.131 in 717 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.