Housewarming Gift Ideas

I need ideas for a house warming gift. I don't want to give the usual such as kitchen towel, etc. I want something really different and useful. This is for a work acquaintance, not a close friend. My budget is no more than $25.00, preferably less. Thank you.

By chef4u from Sylvania, OH

What I have done for some of my friends with new places, is get them games like Yatzee, Catch Phrase, Scattegories, etc. That way if they have guests over at their new home, there's something fun to do...

What about something that really does warm a house? An inexpensive large plastic bowl filled with different flavors of microwave popcorn, a nicely scented larger candle and some kitchen matches, and a TV guide type book, or local newspaper, college paper, etc. All of these would be about that price range.

You can't go wrong with photo frames. Everyone loves to display their family and friends. For your budget, you could get a nice basket and some different mini frames and candles from the D. Tree and have a nice gift. Also, if the co worker is a cook, the DT also has a nice array of cookbooks.

If they like wine, you can get some nice glasses and packaged cheeses. I find the soaps in those prepackaged gifts you get to be cheap and harsh, but a nice gift card from a bed and bath would be nice too. Good Luck

Go to the website and you'll find categories for everything, and it's all gorgeous handmade things by artists. You won't believe how much beautiful stuff there is. You can arrange the items by price, cheapest to highest and that way you can find something in your price range. Anything from handmade note cards to salt and pepper shakers, cutting boards, wall hangings, soap, place mats, garden items, etc.

Have fun and enjoy!

I have given a tool box filled with your every day tools, hammer, asst. of screwdrivers stud finder, screws, nails, pliers, and majic eraser. They loved it!

Does this person have pets? If so perhaps you could find out exactly what brand and flavor of food their fur (or scale) babies eat, get a week to a month supply (of course that will depend on how many pets, what type of pet and their size as to how much they eat LOL) and include their name(s) on the card along with your co-workers name. I know I would get a kick out of someone buying a month supply of Rachel Kitty's food (about $15.00) and having included her as part of the family in a new home :-)

It shouldn't be hard to find out what brand and flavors of food because people love to talk about their pets and you can easily find out by opening a conversation like what brand and flavor of pet food do you use because "I have a friend who (come up with a reason)" or "I am thinking about changing my pets food because" etc. ;-)

How about a First Aid or Emergency Kit?

A different tactic to take and its fun!

The Italian and a lot of the old countries had customs like these. We always gave bread, salt, and a broom. Mom would make a little gift basket and put in a loaf of Italian bread (readily available in NY), a box of salt, and a little hand held broom and dust pan. With a little card and she would write out the meanings of each item. Most people loved it and it was something unexpected from the normal house warming gift. I do it up with a pretty printed statement on fancy paper or on a scroll in the basket.

Here is what I found in a search.

This custom and tradition is not just something that Italians did. In fact there are various cultures that also give gifts to a person who purchased a new home. I can remember that when someone bought a new home you would give that person a broom, salt and bread as a gift, but as you can see below these are not the only items that one can give.

Bread You will never go hungry

Broom Sweep away the evil; Your house will always be clean

Candle You will always have light

Coin Bring good fortune for the year

Honey Represents the sweetness of life

Salt Represents life's tears; You can also place a pinch of salt at the threshold of each door and window for good luck; Mend all wounds

Wine Never go thirsty; Your home brings you happiness and joy

Wood Your life/home will always have stability, harmony and peace

June 18, 2009 Flag

Our friends just moved into a new house they have purchased. It is their first home, as they've lived in an apartment up until now. I need an idea for a housewarming gift for them.

- Jessica

Housewarming Gift

If they have just moved in, making some frozen casseroles that they can put in the freezer while they unpack and get set up would be good. Maybe make some patchwork potholders, everyone always needs pot holders.

-Liz (09/06/2001)

Housewarming Gift

Nothing makes a home seem warmer than a bouquet of flowers on the dining room table. Take them a bouquet of flowers in a vase, or without. (09/08/2001)

Housewarming Gift

When we first moved in, the lovely people behind us brought fried chicken, potato salad, and a banana pudding - I've never forgotten that, it was so nice of them. Now I keep a box of things around for when people move in. It contains a few light bulbs, some tape, roll of paper towels, and tp, coupons for free local things which I collect, and a date/address book. I get them all the time for sending in pops from Virginia Slims, though you can get promotional ones just about anywhere.

I write in numbers for the nearest good dry cleaner, pizza and other fast food delivery, police, library, grocery store, post office, things like that. On the calender part I put local festivals and such like. Mostly the new neighbors are just so happy that anyone would think to do this for them! If I have time, I really like to include an easy to make pie. Makes me feel really good. Them, too. (09/08/2001)

By boedicea

Housewarming Gift

One of the nicest gifts is a loaf of bread, so the home will never know hunger, a box or canister of salt, so the home life will have flavor, and a bottle of wine or sparkling cider so the home will always have joy in it! These three items put in a basket with a note make a wonderful "new" home gift. (09/09/2001)

By tdandmdd

Housewarming Gift

Perhaps in addition to paper towels, some plastic utensils, plates, bowls, cups. I remember a new neighbor coming and asking for a fork because McDonald's failed to include one with her salad.

- Brenda (10/30/2001)

Housewarming Gift

I agree with the other suggestions. Give a list of repair services, babysitters, or anyone else that you use in the area. It's better than just flipping through the phone book. (10/31/2001)

By kelly

Housewarming Gift

Buy them a Home Depot or Lowe's gift card. Chances are they will need it for something very very soon (new door locks, welcome mat, paint, etc), and they will love the freedom of being able to choose what they purchase.

By singleangel

Housewarming Fruit Basket
Housewarming Gift Ideas
Holidays and Parties Gifts HousewarmingJune 18, 2009
Fishing gear.
Making a Fishing Gift Basket
Gift Card Holder Crafts
Gift Card Holder Crafts
Young woman sitting next to moving boxes.
First Apartment Gift Basket Ideas
Whiskbroom Angel
Making a Whiskbroom Angel