Removing Blood from Fabric

Blood stains on clothes? Not to worry. Just pour a little hydrogen peroxide on a cloth and proceed to wipe off every drop of blood. Works every time! Now, where to put the body? LOL!

Source: From a good friend who is a nurse.

By JodiT from Aurora, CO

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Good one. I hope it works. Shared on facebook. Pamela Rochelle, Woodworth

Jodi, love your sense of humor almost more than the tip! :D

I've always used running cold water and a bar of deodorant soap. Get the stain wet and then rub soap on it and rub the stain with either another part of the clothing or a cotton cloth, like an old tee shirt. Keep it under running water while doing this. It usually works best while the stain is fairly fresh.

I have used hydrogen peroxide for many years to remove blood from fabric. It is very effective. But, it does not always work completely the first time. It may be necessary to re apply once or twice, a minute or two after the first application.

Peroxide is an excellent cleaner for any organic, people stains. Be certain the stain is never exposed to heat as this sets the stain. I've resorted to both peroxide and salt in cold water with good results. A final resource is a bar of organic laundry soap. Rub the stain with a moist bar until the stain is buried in suds. Do this on both sides. Repeat as necessary.

Comment

How do you remove blood stains from fabrics?

By nickyleroux from South Africa

Removing Blood from Fabric

You have to wash it right away in cool water (Not Hot). Spray n wash will work if it is not too dried on, also peroxide. (06/21/2009)

By taka

Removing Blood from Fabric

Oddly enough what removes blood is saliva, the only catch is it has to be the Spit from the person who the blood belong to, this is great for quilters who keep pricking their fingers and leaving little dots of blood if it's a big spot it may take a lot is spit , this even works on minstrel blood. (06/21/2009)

By BABBIE

Removing Blood from Fabric

Run cold water over it then pour some Hydrogen Peroxide on it I rinse and repeat a few times and then wash it in the washer with detergent and cold water. Hydrogen Peroxide will take out just about any protein based stain. (06/21/2009)

By loralea

Removing Blood from Fabric

Oxy Clean has worked miracles for us. (06/22/2009)

By donjweiser

Removing Blood from Fabric

The best way I've found is to soak the item in cold milk overnight and then wash as normal. This idea came from my Grandma. No bio detergents in her time. (06/23/2009)

By blackbess

Removing Blood from Fabric

I use a product called Z'Out. I've had a bottle forever. I bought it at a uniform shop for nurses who need to get blood and vomit out of their uniforms.

Susan in Omaha (06/23/2009)

By susan matthews

Removing Blood from Fabric

In the U.S. it's called Shout. Look in your store for an enzyme-based cleanser. I find it better than peroxide. (06/24/2009)

By tennesue

Removing Blood from Fabric

I found this cleaner at my parents house called Off cleaner and it worked perfect at getting the blood out of my shirt. (02/12/2010)

By jane1212

Removing Blood from Fabric

OMG! I wish I had found you sooner! Seriously, where have you been all my life! lol. Last night I tried a little bit of Tide and a little bit of Head and Shoulders on some dried blood and it worked! Thank you from my brand new knickers! hehe. (07/03/2010)

By tlb1383

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do you get dried blood out of clothes, especially sheets, pillowcases and men's khaki pants?

By Pat from Brookfield, WI

Removing Blood from Fabric

I have had good luck soaking the blood spot in milk. After soaking the item for a while rub the spot and soak longer if needed. You need to try to soak the item as soon as possible and not let the blood dry; you will have much better results at getting the blood spot out. (03/27/2009)

By Dixie's Mom

Removing Blood from Fabric

Ammonia also works very well. Just soak the stain until it disappears. If the stain is on a heavy fabric, you may want to scrub it a bit. Also, I had always learned you should use only cold water to remove blood. Recently, my sister-in-law mentioned that she uses hot water. I've discovered that if I've used soap and water and a blood stain is not quite removed, hot water gets it all out. (03/27/2009)

By straightace

Removing Blood from Fabric

Plain old peroxide. (03/27/2009)

By keeper60

Removing Blood from Fabric

In the past, on a stubborn blood stain, I put the part that has the stain on it over the drain opening and run the cold water till it's wet with a little puddle. Then I take table salt and pour a good layer over the stained area. Let the water drip just enough to slowly melt the salt and keep it wet. I just put it in the bath sink and I forget about it for a number of hours. Just check now and then to make sure that it is still puddled with water and the salt is still there.

When it's been a number of hours, you take it out and scrub the material together to get as much out, then soak in a bucket of cold water with BIZ Stain, detergent cleaner. BIZ is really great. Soaking in a bucket may take a few days, but I check it like 2x a day and rub the material together to check. Eventually it comes out. (03/28/2009)

By C T

Removing Blood from Fabric

My granddaughter turned me on to this trick and it even works on other stains and clothing that has one through the dryer. It takes some elbow grease, cold water and bar hand soap. Wet the stain and scrub it with the bar soap until the stain is gone. It really works. (03/28/2009)

By deebomb

Removing Blood from Fabric

A nurse I know uses Zout stain remover and cold water wash. (03/29/2009)

By Carol in PA

Removing Blood from Fabric

I have always used 409 Formula sprayed onto the blood stain straight from the bottle without diluting. Try scrubbing the fabric together by hand and it should start coming out. If not spray more onto the stain and let it set for awhile, maybe half an hour and try again. It always worked for me even after being dried into the material for a week or more (depending on when I could get to the laundry mat). (04/01/2009)

By 1burrell

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
A bottle of hydrogen peroxide, great to use to remove blood stains.
Removing Blood Stains from Clothing and Fabric
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsFebruary 13, 2011
young medical professional holding sign- Blood Donors Wanted
Donating Blood
Cleaning With Hydrogen Peroxide
Cleaning With Hydrogen Peroxide
Wedding Dress
Removing a Blood Stain on a Wedding Dress
hydrogen peroxide cleaner
Removing Blood Stains on Carpet
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 28, 2016 at 1:09:14 AM on 10.0.2.62 in 706 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.