Removing Blood from Fabric

By Irishwitch 390 18

Blood stains on clothes? Not to worry. Just pour a little hydrogen peroxide on a cloth and proceed to wipe off every drop of blood. Works every time! Now, where to put the body? LOL!

Source: From a good friend who is a nurse.

By JodiT from Aurora, CO

Filter Sort

By Pamela Rochelle Woodworth 21 145 Flag

Good one. I hope it works. Shared on facebook. Pamela Rochelle, Woodworth

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Lelia Jo Cordell 51 1,936 Flag

Jodi, love your sense of humor almost more than the tip! :D

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Chelly 3 Flag

I've always used running cold water and a bar of deodorant soap. Get the stain wet and then rub soap on it and rub the stain with either another part of the clothing or a cotton cloth, like an old tee shirt. Keep it under running water while doing this. It usually works best while the stain is fairly fresh.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By likekinds 114 508 Flag

I have used hydrogen peroxide for many years to remove blood from fabric. It is very effective. But, it does not always work completely the first time. It may be necessary to re apply once or twice, a minute or two after the first application.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Carol W. 6 94 Flag

Peroxide is an excellent cleaner for any organic, people stains. Be certain the stain is never exposed to heat as this sets the stain. I've resorted to both peroxide and salt in cold water with good results. A final resource is a bar of organic laundry soap. Rub the stain with a moist bar until the stain is buried in suds. Do this on both sides. Repeat as necessary.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Archive: Removing Blood from Fabric

Is there an easy way to remove dried (human) blood from white T-shirts? I have had great difficulty in removing dried blood.

Robert

Answers:

RE: Removing Blood from Fabric

I use Lestoil, it is a heavy duty cleaner. It works great. It will turn the dried blood like a muddy green, I use some cold water and work it out, sometimes just letting it sit for a while will help also.

Good Luck

(06/28/2007)

By Kim

RE: Removing Blood from Fabric

Trying laying the t-shirt on the lawn and soaking blood stain with lemon juice. Leave out in the sun. The sunnier the day, the better. (06/29/2007)

By cat lady

RE: Removing Blood from Fabric

I have had good results with either peroxide or Oxiclean. (06/29/2007)

By teddygirl

RE: Removing Blood from Fabric

I've found that liquid dish soap works. Just did it actually. Take liquid dish soap over the stain, rub and rise in COLD WATER. Do that till it comes out and wash as normal. (04/27/2008)

By Lyn

RE: Removing Blood from Fabric

Use shampoo, it works, and cold water, just dab the stain. It doesn't take long at all. (05/13/2008)

By

RE: Removing Blood from Fabric

I have always used peroxide too, until recently. It never really worked that well for me anyway. A surgical nurse told me try salt. I just rinse out as much blood as I can with cold water, and then lay it flat in one of those plastic (not Styrofoam) trays hamburger comes in. Cover it with cold water and pour salt on it. Come back the next day, viola! Blood's gone! I just rinse it out and throw in the wash. I've found it to work much better than peroxide, Oxiclean, or any other cleaner I've tried. (01/20/2009)

By Zyla

RE: Removing Blood from Fabric

Peroxide! pour a little bit on the blood. It bubbles up. Gently wipe off with tissue, pour on more peroxide, let it bubble up, gently dab off blood. The peroxide bubbles and actually turns a foamy brown as it absorbs blood. Nurses do this in the hospital. Good luck. (01/28/2009)

By Angela

RE: Removing Blood from Fabric

Tide + Head and Shoulders + Cold water = NO STAIN!

Today I ended up getting blood on my khaki work pants. In a panic I ran home and checked out some sites on how to remove blood from clothing. I presoaked the stain in Tide laundry detergent then ran cold water from the tub over the stain. I then took a wash cloth and scrubbed as much of the remaining blood as I can. A majority of the blood came out but you could slightly see the stain still. I took the Head and Shoulders shampoo and rubbed it into the pants and rinsed again. There is absolutely no trace of blood on my pants. (02/14/2009)

Archive: Removing Blood from Fabric

Hydrogen Peroxide

Need to get blood stains out of clothing? Use hydrogen peroxide, full strength on whites. On colors, dilute the peroxide with water and then apply with a Q-tip. Rinse immediately.

By Kristina

When my mom broke her leg, she bled a lot on our dining room floor and the paramedics made a mess walking it all over the floor, they told me to use peroxide and I did and then steamed cleaned the floor with my carpet cleaner and voila!, it came right up! Peroxide breaks up the protiens and it works on anything!

By Lynne

I agree with the peroxide for removing blood, seems to work a little better for me if I wait until the blood is dried. It also works fine even after the item has been washed and dried already. I have had the best of luck with peroxide. An oxy clean spray also works in bad cases.

By makaylasmom

To help get blood out of clothing including jeans, use a capful of peroxide with liquid laundry soap, rub in and let sit for a few minutes then just throw in the washer, and voila!, no more blood stain.

By Kaylasmom

A happy accident. Found some more blood from a heavy nosebleed on the white side of a hand-made gift quilt, the day after. Scrubbed the dried blood with cold water 'til it wasn't going away any more (but not too hard, 'cause the white backing isn't exactly robust). Scrubbed a little more with some pre-wash. Looked it up here, applied a little hydrogen peroxide, followed with a little rubbing, and the remaining blood vanished before my eyes. Threw it in the washing machine and now I can't find the spots (only a very close examination shows the surface abraded from my attentions with the scrub brush).

Thanks for the tips!

By JonahsDad

Hydrogen peroxide is great on blood just make sure you launder the item soon after the peroxide. If the item is not washed, the peroxide keeps working and may eat a hole through the material. I learned this the hard way after a Red Cross volunteer got blood on my pants and removed it with peroxide.

By austin95mom

Editor's Note: There were many more tips and success stories about hydrogen peroxide but we wanted to leave room for other ways. Hydrogen Peroxide is the hands down winner within the ThriftyFun community!

Rubbing Alcohol

Need to get fresh blood out of fabric? Dab the spot with rubbing alcohol before putting through the wash. My nurse friend gave me this tip when I got blood on a new bedspread and it worked perfectly.

By Laura

Clear Ammonia

Clear ammonia will also work. It will not fade colors and I like to soak it overnight - it never fails me.

By annie

Spit On It

I learned this tip many years ago from a person who worked in a furniture factory responsible for cutting very expensive fabrics. If by some chance, you find an item with blood on it, find the person whose blood it is and have them spit on the blood and work it into the stain. It can only be the spit of the person whose blood it is. I have done this through the years and shared many times. You just wash as you normally would after working the spit into the area and let it sit for a few moments.

By MC

I'm a costume designer and it seems actors are always bleeding on costumes. For fresh blood, having the person who's done the bleeding spit on it works very well. It's a great solution when you don't have quick access to water. The other thing I use is Windex. It has to be Windex brand, not just blue glass cleaner. Just spray the spot and wash.

By alpenfraulein

Cold Water And A Bar Of Soap

For 40 plus years, to remove blood stains from washable fabric, I just dip the stained area in cold water, and rub a bar of hand soap (any brand) into the stain, and rinse in cold water. Repeat the process until stain is gone and launder as usual. For small stains, one repeat is usually sufficient. If the stain is larger, it takes a little more scrubbing.

By Harlean from Arkansas.

Homemade soap will get blood out of clothing, it actually works for most all stains.

By klr2080

Shampoo

Use shampoo even for set in blood stains. Don't know why but something in the shampoo takes the blood out. I use cheap stuff like Suave and keep it in the laundry area.

By Guest

After reading this site, i was going to try this hydrogen peroxide, but we didn't have any, so i tried shampoo because someone else recommended it, and we put some dandruff shampoo on the blood stained (light coloured) jeans, and let it sit for about 20 minutes, and the blood came RIGHT out.

If you want a cheap, easy way to get blood out of jeans, use shampoo.

By Courtnee

I tried the shampoo (Suave) on my 93 year old dad's colored shirts and dark green sweater. It worked. I used a sponge to lightly rub and then soaked it in cold water. Within 2 hours, it was gone. I rewashed in cold water with regular load. Thanks for the tip.

You are great folks.

By Momma2

Ice

Without washing, put ice on the stain. Believe me, it is the best way. I own a laundry and, believe me, that's the best you can do.

By ifi

Milk

Pour milk on the spot as soon as you get blood on it and you will see the milk rinse the blood right out of the fabric.

By linda

Purple Power

Best thing I have found is called Purple Power! This stuff works absolute wonders! I add it to my daily wash and have been for about 2 years now. My grandmother got a very horrible nosebleed and it was all over the front of a blouse she favored, and when I say all over, I mean it was EVERYWHERE! I shot it full strength with Purple Power, put it in the washer, let it go through all the motions, along with a full load. When it came out, it was absolutely spotless! TRY IT! Autozone and Advance Auto Parts carries it!

By Bob

Borax

Borax works great too; my DH is notorious for using his shirt to clean it off and it always comes out. I just wash it right away with regular detergent and at least 1/2 cup borax on WARM (I was always told cold water sets in most stains)

By camo_angels

Archive: Removing Blood from Fabric

How do you get dried blood out of clothes, especially sheets, pillowcases and men's khaki pants?

By Pat from Brookfield, WI

Feedback:

RE: Removing Blood from Fabric

I have had good luck soaking the blood spot in milk. After soaking the item for a while rub the spot and soak longer if needed. You need to try to soak the item as soon as possible and not let the blood dry; you will have much better results at getting the blood spot out. (03/27/2009)

By Dixie's Mom

RE: Removing Blood from Fabric

Ammonia also works very well. Just soak the stain until it disappears. If the stain is on a heavy fabric, you may want to scrub it a bit. Also, I had always learned you should use only cold water to remove blood. Recently, my sister-in-law mentioned that she uses hot water. I've discovered that if I've used soap and water and a blood stain is not quite removed, hot water gets it all out. (03/27/2009)

By straightace

RE: Removing Blood from Fabric

Plain old peroxide. (03/27/2009)

By keeper60

RE: Removing Blood from Fabric

In the past, on a stubborn blood stain, I put the part that has the stain on it over the drain opening and run the cold water till it's wet with a little puddle. Then I take table salt and pour a good layer over the stained area. Let the water drip just enough to slowly melt the salt and keep it wet. I just put it in the bath sink and I forget about it for a number of hours. Just check now and then to make sure that it is still puddled with water and the salt is still there.

When it's been a number of hours, you take it out and scrub the material together to get as much out, then soak in a bucket of cold water with BIZ Stain, detergent cleaner. BIZ is really great. Soaking in a bucket may take a few days, but I check it like 2x a day and rub the material together to check. Eventually it comes out. (03/28/2009)

By C T

RE: Removing Blood from Fabric

My granddaughter turned me on to this trick and it even works on other stains and clothing that has one through the dryer. It takes some elbow grease, cold water and bar hand soap. Wet the stain and scrub it with the bar soap until the stain is gone. It really works. (03/28/2009)

By deebomb

RE: Removing Blood from Fabric

A nurse I know uses Zout stain remover and cold water wash. (03/29/2009)

By Carol in PA

RE: Removing Blood from Fabric

I have always used 409 Formula sprayed onto the blood stain straight from the bottle without diluting. Try scrubbing the fabric together by hand and it should start coming out. If not spray more onto the stain and let it set for awhile, maybe half an hour and try again. It always worked for me even after being dried into the material for a week or more (depending on when I could get to the laundry mat). (04/01/2009)

By 1burrell

Archive: Removing Blood from Fabric

How do you remove blood stains from fabrics?

By nickyleroux from South Africa

Feedback:

RE: Removing Blood from Fabric

You have to wash it right away in cool water (Not Hot). Spray n wash will work if it is not too dried on, also peroxide. (06/21/2009)

By taka

RE: Removing Blood from Fabric

Oddly enough what removes blood is saliva, the only catch is it has to be the Spit from the person who the blood belong to, this is great for quilters who keep pricking their fingers and leaving little dots of blood if it's a big spot it may take a lot is spit , this even works on minstrel blood. (06/21/2009)

By BABBIE

RE: Removing Blood from Fabric

Run cold water over it then pour some Hydrogen Peroxide on it I rinse and repeat a few times and then wash it in the washer with detergent and cold water. Hydrogen Peroxide will take out just about any protein based stain. (06/21/2009)

By loralea

RE: Removing Blood from Fabric

Oxy Clean has worked miracles for us. (06/22/2009)

By donjweiser

RE: Removing Blood from Fabric

The best way I've found is to soak the item in cold milk overnight and then wash as normal. This idea came from my Grandma. No bio detergents in her time. (06/23/2009)

By blackbess

RE: Removing Blood from Fabric

I use a product called Z'Out. I've had a bottle forever. I bought it at a uniform shop for nurses who need to get blood and vomit out of their uniforms.

Susan in Omaha (06/23/2009)

By susan matthews

RE: Removing Blood from Fabric

In the U.S. it's called Shout. Look in your store for an enzyme-based cleanser. I find it better than peroxide. (06/24/2009)

By tennesue

RE: Removing Blood from Fabric

I found this cleaner at my parents house called Off cleaner and it worked perfect at getting the blood out of my shirt. (02/12/2010)

By jane1212

RE: Removing Blood from Fabric

OMG! I wish I had found you sooner! Seriously, where have you been all my life! lol. Last night I tried a little bit of Tide and a little bit of Head and Shoulders on some dried blood and it worked! Thank you from my brand new knickers! hehe. (07/03/2010)

By tlb1383

A bottle of hydrogen peroxide, great to use to remove blood stains.
Removing Blood Stains from Clothing and Fabric
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsFebruary 13, 2011
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Cleaning With Hydrogen Peroxide
Cleaning With Hydrogen Peroxide
Wedding Dress
Removing a Blood Stain on a Wedding Dress
hydrogen peroxide cleaner
Removing Blood Stains on Carpet
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 2:02:47 PM on 10.0.1.225 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

CommentsArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings