Recipes for Scones

How can I make scones?

By Joan from Europe

An Irish lady told me to use bisquick. Two cups Bisquick, one cup sugar, one egg, a little melted butter and a handfull of raisons. You can put them by large spoonfulls on a cookie sheet or make a coffee cake and cut them into squares. You can ice the tops or not. Some people make a heavier dough, roll them out like biscuits and bake in a pan.

Here is my recipe for my competition winning scones.

8ozs self raising flour.

1/2 tsp baking powder.

2ozs butter.

1/2ozs sugar.

2ozs sultanas. (leave out for plain scones)

buttermilk or milk (no particular measurements)

pinch of salt

Sieve flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.

Rub in butter.

Add sugar and fruit.

Add enough buttermilk or milk to make a not too wet dough.

No need to roll out just pat into a circle about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. Cut with into circles with a medium sized pastry cutter. Brush with beaten egg (not essential) and bake in a hot oven for about 10 to 15 mins. Makes 1/2 a dozen. One little tip. If you want to keep your scones for more than a day (mine don,t last that long) add an egg with the liquid. Enjoy.

This a ps. I live in the UK and this is an English recipe.

Hello Joan. I also live in Europe and have found to have a good selection of traditional English recipes. and a "biscuit" is a biscuit and not a cookie!

Hi Joan,

I live in Ireland and have used the following recipie for many years with great success.

All-in-One Scones:

4oz. Margarine

16ozs. Self raising flour Sieved with 2 level tsp.baking powder

2 eggs and approx. 9 tbs. buttermilk or plain milk

2 ozs. Caster Sugar

Beat all together to make a soft dough. Knead lightly on a floured board. Cut with a 2" cutter. Place on floured baking trays and bake in a preheated oven 200o for approx. 20-30mins. Glaze top with beaten egg for a nice finish (before you put in oven).

I use above recipie for one of my daughters who prefers plain scones, for the rest of the family I add dates and walnuts. You coould also use, cherries or sultanas.

Recipie came from a Stork Recipie Book I got many years ago.

Happy Baking

Thank you everybody for these very helpful recipes. All have helped in slightly different ways. Does anybody by chance have these measurements already translated into metric?

Scone on a plate with tea cup and saucer off to upper right.
Scones Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts BreadsFebruary 20, 2011
Vanilla Ice Cream With Mint on Top
Recipes Using Mint
Homemade lemon curd in a jar.
Lemon Curd Recipes
A heart shaped scone.
Heart Shaped Scones
Raspberry Bar Cookies
Bar Cookie Recipes