Thickening for Gravy

If your gravy is too runny and thin, mix equal parts flour and cornstarch together and sprinkle it into gravy to thicken it. Sprinkle it in a little at a time and stir, it should thicken up in no time.

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

To thicken gravy, I use instant mashed potato flakes. Works real well.

I do it Cathy's way, but I would like to add that I take the gravy off and let it clam down (not boiling). Then put a little in, and bring it to a boil to check thickness. Also I make a Rue (butter and flour), that can be added to boiling gravy and I put the rest in the freezer till next time.

Comment

To quickly and easily prepare flour or cornstarch thickening, just put about 1 inch of water in small jar, add flour, add more water, then shake vigorously. The thickening is quickly ready, and without lumps.

- Cathy Berger

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Homemade Gravy
Thickening Homemade Gravy
Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsOctober 18, 2006
Photo of brown gravy on a turkey sandwich.
Homemade Brown Gravy Recipes
Plate of food covered in gravy.
Gravy Making Tips and Tricks
Steak With Gravy
Steak and Gravy Recipes
Turkey gravy in a gravy boat.
Making Turkey Gravy
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 14, 2016 at 5:50:31 PM on 10.0.0.147 in 512 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.