Thickening for Gravy

If your gravy is too runny and thin, mix equal parts flour and cornstarch together and sprinkle it into gravy to thicken it. Sprinkle it in a little at a time and stir, it should thicken up in no time.

By Sarah Ann (Guest Post) 11/20/2008

To thicken gravy, I use instant mashed potato flakes. Works real well.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Ted N. (Guest Post) 11/20/2008

I do it Cathy's way, but I would like to add that I take the gravy off and let it clam down (not boiling). Then put a little in, and bring it to a boil to check thickness. Also I make a Rue (butter and flour), that can be added to boiling gravy and I put the rest in the freezer till next time.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Post a Comment

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the comments that were provided then.

Archive: Thickening for Gravy

To quickly and easily prepare flour or cornstarch thickening, just put about 1 inch of water in small jar, add flour, add more water, then shake vigorously. The thickening is quickly ready, and without lumps.

- Cathy Berger