Healthy Easter Baskets

I have small children and much of the stuff to put in the Easter baskets is candy or are not really suited to little ones. I'd like to include healthy snacks rather than candy. Does anyone have suggestions for a safe and healthy Easter basket?

- Tamara

Fresh fruit is colorful, fun and healthy. So is dried fruit and nuts. You can bake healthy easter miniature-sized muffins, cookies and granola bars. There are tons of inexpensive treats and toys at the local dollar store.

Chex, goldfish crackers, Cheerios, all flavors graham goldfish crackers, teddy grahams, raisins, stickers

- Shawn

Raisins

Other dried fruit

Fresh fruit

Bread sticks or crackers and dip

Carrot sticks and peanut butter

Home made cookies or muffins: Use half the sugar and replace half the fat with either applesauce or mashed banana.

Ants on a log: celery stick stuffed with peanut butter, and studded with raisins

finger sandwiches

Coupons for healthy homemade meal of choice: Give the child a short list of choices, mother-approved things he or she seems to enjoy.

Non-edibles that encourage learning and exploration: Puzzles, art supplies, books, games, music toys, jump rope, jacks, origami kit, kite, etc.

- Rose B.

My son loves those "diet" tortilla chips (yes, its my fault) with home-made salsa. I share custody of him with his father and Easter is one of his holiday's, but we have used tortilla chips and salsa for Santa instead of milk and cookies. He also thinks it's cool to get the same snack from Santa in his stocking. I get some "cheap" double compartment containers and put chips in one side and salsa in the other. Decorate the tops with permanent markers and wrap in plastic. (my son is four and hasn't figured it out yet!!) plus after the holidays, I have more storage containers!

KC

I have found they love getting books, erasers, stuffed animals and figurines. My older daughters still have all the figurines they got in their Easter basket.

By Jane Squires

The baby food section has many toddler snacks available. I buy the gummy bears, crackers, puff wheat, cookies and juices to give to my two year old. He loves them and they do not have as much sugar or salt as other foods.

I find that EnviroKids organic crispy rice bars are a great source of low sugar and low sodium and also glutin free snack. Also the Fiber One bars in peanut butter or chocolate chip have a very high fiber content and yet sweet enough to please the picky eaters.

KC

My 10 year old DD is getting a movie and a Webkin this year plus a few candy snacks

The 16 year old is getting a Pilates video , weights and an exercise band plus some candy snacks

I've included gift certificates, toys, movies, hand held travel games, beauty items, socks, etc in baskets from years past. Give what the child needs and likes-not just candy

my grandsons are 1 and 18 months. I bought the 100 calorie snack packs that had cheese its, and 2 different cookies in it. also bought snack size baggies and filled them with cheerios and cheese curls

Being a "Heath Food Hippie" when my kids were young, I wouldn't let them near any candy. Here's some tips for healthy Easter Baskets: Small boxes of Raisins, several Small apples, String Cheese, Frozen yogurt sticks, Movie coupons, Power bars (nutritional bars that taste like a candy bar), graham cracker bears, Homemade cookies & muffins. Natural Licorice. Sesame/Honey bar snacks & of course there's always hard-boiled Easter Eggs! You can also buy candy that's made for diabetics, (without sugar) it's in it's own section at the super market, just ask.

* I'd usually go to Trader Joe's, or a Health Food Store & buy some yummy stuff for them. Health Food Stores have all kinds of "good for you" candy, bars & gum.

Don't forget bubble bath and bath toys too.

Also look for Sundrops at your health food store, they're "healthy" m&m's!

I was a health food hippie too. I bought the fillable eggs & put trinkets inside & hid the eggs. I put coins in some of the eggs, sugar free bubblegum, small toys, erasers, etc. I also liked to include a book or 2 in the basket.

Easter basket.
Homemade Easter Baskets
Holidays and Parties Easter CraftsMarch 14, 2008
Easter Centerpiece
Easter Centerpiece Ideas
Little boy in a brown bunny costume.
Making an Easter Rabbit Costume
Wicker Basket
Repairing Wicker Baskets
Saving Money on Easter Baskets
Saving Money on Easter Baskets
🎉
🎄