Browsing: Cleaning Artificial Plants

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cleaning Artificial Plants

They may not need light and water, but artificial plants do require regular cleaning to look their best. This is a guide about cleaning artificial plants.

Artificial Flowers
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

April 27, 2016 Flag

Okay, you may think this sounds strange, but it works. I have mostly fresh green plants in my large front window in my home. But, I like the look of plants, so I decorate other areas with artificial flowers and plants. They only bad thing is, they get dusty. And then they look horrible when dusty. Clean and Freshen Artificial Flowers and Plants
About every 6 months, "it's bath time" Yes, bath time!

I bring all my artificial plants and flowers to the bathroom floor, I fill my bathtub with about 4 inches of warm water and 3 capfuls of Downy or Snuggle. Mix it around. First I do the silk flowers, I try to hold as many as possible of the stems in my hand, holding the stems, I take them turn them upside down and gently swish the flowers and leaves around in the water. This shakes off the dusty and revitalizes the brightness to their color again. Do this for only about 15 seconds. Take them out and lie them nicely on a thick bath towel. Spread them out until they dry.

For the potted plants, if the plant stems can be removed, do so and repeat what I did above. If the plant stems are glued it to the pot, take the pot, turn it upside down, only getting the leaves or flowers wet (not the artificial soil) holding the pot, and now swish the leaves and/or flowers for about 15 seconds and then keep the plant upside down on the towel, you may have to lean it against a door or cabinet so it does not fall over until the wetness dries.

This works, and leaves your plants and flowers not only dust free but a nice fresh smell that last for quite a while. I have been doing this for quite some time and most likely years, to these same plants. And they don't seem to mind. :) Try it, you will like it!

Clean and Freshen Artificial Flowers and PlantsClean and Freshen Artificial Flowers and PlantsClean and Freshen Artificial Flowers and PlantsClean and Freshen Artificial Flowers and PlantsClean and Freshen Artificial Flowers and PlantsClean and Freshen Artificial Flowers and Plants

September 8, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about cleaning artificial flowers. Artificial flowers can become dusty or dingy over time.

Cleaning Artificial Flowers

September 8, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about removing smoke odor from artificial plants. Smoke from a house fire or cigarettes can leave an odor on your artificial plants.

Removing Smoke Odor from Artificial Plants

May 26, 2011 Flag

To clean artificial flowers, pour some salt into a paper bag and add the lowers. Shake vigorously as the salt will absorb all the dust and dirt and leave your artificial flowers looking like new! Works like a charm!

March 23, 2011 Flag

Due to health problems this year, my spring cleaning is also going to entail an attempt to remove quite a bit of dust and grease 'gunk' from some artificial plants which I have in my bedroom and above kitchen cabinets. (No, I don't want to get rid of them)

I was thinking of spraying on a diluted Dawn mixture, then taking them outside and hosing them off, but also wondered if anyone in the wonderful ThriftyFun community has a better or easier way to accomplish this yucky task? The arrangements are too large to do the garbage bag/salt idea. Thank you in advance for any info you can give me; hopefully next year they won't be as bad.

By Marilyn from Orlando, FL

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I have both plastic and silk artificial flowers which I clean quite easily by swooshing them around in a bucket or basin of water and washing up liquid. I use fairy since dawn isn't available here. Then I leave them outside, if possible, to dry in the sun. Have had them for years and they still look great!

Best Answer

Thanks to all of you who posted in response to my inquiry. I'm guessing that the 409 will work for the kitchen plants (grease, yuck), and then 'swooshing' for the others!

Best Answer

Do not try to put permanent flower arrangements in a bag with salt and shake them to clean them. That process is for individual stems of flowers. It would beat the arrangement in to an unrecognizable mess. Polyester silk flowers can be cleaned with a mild detergent and water but again that is mostly used for individual flowers, not arrangements. Only assembly line manufactured arrangements like foliage designs will take the abuse, with out ruining the arrangement.

You can wipe down the arrangement flower by flower and then rinse it the same, carefully, to restore the original look of the design. Design Masters aerosol silk flower cleaner will do the trick if used regularly but try not to let the grease or grime build up.

I am a professional florist with over 45 years of experience, and this is the method we ask our clients to employ to keep their nice silk arrangements fresh and looking their best.

Been doing just what you suggested for the last 20 years or more. I just let them dry outside in a matter of an hour or so. They look just like new.

August 26, 2014 Flag

I spray Febreze generously onto the whole flower/foliage arrangement, tree, etc. This works just as well as commerical cleaners made specifically for silk flowers. Just spray, no wiping necessary.

June 7, 2002 Flag

Does anyone have an easy way to clean artificial trees. Dusting with a duster doesn't work.

Loafer98

Best Answer

Most apartment dwellers don't have hoses. Putting the tree in the shower works pretty well if they are made of just foliage. Tip it so the water doesn't go in the container. Do it when you can leave the tree in the shower to drip dry.

I have a tree with fabric flowers I don't know how to clean. Any suggestions?

Best Answer

Walmart carries a spray in both the pump bottle and aerosol can and this works well. You spray it on and let dry. It dusts the leaves as wells as leaves a shine. Works well on baskets as well.

When I run out of this stuff I just set my artificial plants or baskets under the shower and hose down well. I leave them in the shower to drip dry.

by Tawnda

Best Answer

Use 1 part vinegar to 2 parts water in a spray bottle. It seems to work well.

I clean mine in the shower. It works really well. Do it when you don't need it because you got to let it drip dry.

September 27, 2004 Flag

I am looking for a homemade recipe for cleaning artificial plants. I know one of the ingredients is liquid fabric softener. Does anyone know about this recipe?

Jeri from Indiana

Best Answer

I know you can dust silk flowers/ leaves by placing salt or rice in a brown paper bag, add silk flowers and shake.

Best Answer

On artifical plants and silk flowers I just use sudsy ammonia and water, and dip them in, rinse them off with clean water, air dry them and they are sparkling clean...

Best Answer

I take my silk plants into the shower and rinse them off while I shower. Most silks these days are polyester. I then lay them upside down for the water to drain out and air dry them. No special cleaner is needed. I have been a profesional floral designer and we just hosed them off!

November 5, 2012 Flag

This guide is about cleaning silk flowers, swags and wreaths. Dusty artificial flowers and greenery need special care when removing the dirt.

Silk flowers.

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceMarch 19, 2013
Watering a kitchen planter.
Creating Indoor Greenery
Artificial Christmas Tree and Decorations in a Box
Storing an Artificial Christmas Tree
Making Artificial Snow
Making Artificial Snow
Artificial Christmas Tree
Artificial vs Natural Christmas Trees
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 25, 2016 at 10:10:15 AM on 10.0.0.74 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.