Zipper That Won't Zip

Is there a way to fix a zipper that sometimes zips and sometimes doesn't? I don't know why this is happening, but would appreciate another thrifty's zipper knowledge!

Thanks,
Tobie from USA

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

You can try rubbing the zipper with soap or wax or pencil lead (graphite). Any of these items should help the zipper zip more smoothly.

For your Zipper that won't Zip, try running

the lead of a pencil up and down the teeth of the zipper ( both sides). This has always worked for me.

If it is a metal zipper you can rub a pencil up and down the length of the zipper. the graphite acts as a lubricant.

YOU CAN PUT A LITTLE DISH SOAP ON IT AND ZIP THIS WORKS GREAT ON DRAWERS TO

My son had a zipper on a shower travel case that was very sluggish, and wouldn't hardly work, probably from being wet. And starting the rusting process. I took some 3 in 1 oil , and rubbed it into the zipper with my fingers. It took some working of the zipper foot up and down, but, we got it going good.

Note: If a tooth is broken within the zipper track, you can sew there so the foot won't go over that part, and then put the rest of your zipper back on track, and just work with the shorter track. we did this on a suitcase.

If it is a metal zipper, rub it with a lead pencil. If it is a plastic zipper, rub it with a bar of soap. Good luck!

A squirt of WD-40 will do the trick. Be sure not to get it on the clothing.

If it is a metal zipper, this will help. Take a regular lead pencil & rub the sharpened end up & down the zipper while it is closed. The lead somehow helps "lubricate" the zipper.

My mom always used soap on those obnoxious things.

Vasoline works well on a stuck metal zipper. it needs very little.

Answer

Home and Garden Repair ClothingMay 23, 2006
zipper flower
Making a Zipper Flower Pin
zipper
Repairing a Zipper That Separates
Blue Zipper
Adding a Zipper to a Juice Pouch Purse
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 25, 2016 at 5:47:39 PM on 10.0.0.238 in 714 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.