Share Crafts
Ask
Share
Newsletter
Account
About

Zipper That Won't Zip

0EmailPrintFollowSave

Is there a way to fix a zipper that sometimes zips and sometimes doesn't? I don't know why this is happening, but would appreciate another thrifty's zipper knowledge!

Thanks,
Tobie from USA

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Cheryl from Missouri (Guest Post) 05/23/2006 Flag

You can try rubbing the zipper with soap or wax or pencil lead (graphite). Any of these items should help the zipper zip more smoothly.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Jane Young (Guest Post) 05/23/2006 Flag

For your Zipper that won't Zip, try running
the lead of a pencil up and down the teeth of the zipper ( both sides). This has always worked for me.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Anita 3 4 05/23/2006 Flag

If it is a metal zipper you can rub a pencil up and down the length of the zipper. the graphite acts as a lubricant.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By BARBARA (Guest Post) 05/23/2006 Flag

YOU CAN PUT A LITTLE DISH SOAP ON IT AND ZIP THIS WORKS GREAT ON DRAWERS TO

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Glinda (Guest Post) 05/24/2006 Flag

My son had a zipper on a shower travel case that was very sluggish, and wouldn't hardly work, probably from being wet. And starting the rusting process. I took some 3 in 1 oil , and rubbed it into the zipper with my fingers. It took some working of the zipper foot up and down, but, we got it going good.
Note: If a tooth is broken within the zipper track, you can sew there so the foot won't go over that part, and then put the rest of your zipper back on track, and just work with the shorter track. we did this on a suitcase.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By (Guest Post) 05/24/2006 Flag

If it is a metal zipper, rub it with a lead pencil. If it is a plastic zipper, rub it with a bar of soap. Good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By badwater 263 654 06/03/2006 Flag

A squirt of WD-40 will do the trick. Be sure not to get it on the clothing.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Laura Harlan 11 2 06/12/2006 Flag

If it is a metal zipper, this will help. Take a regular lead pencil & rub the sharpened end up & down the zipper while it is closed. The lead somehow helps "lubricate" the zipper.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By CindyM56 (Guest Post) 02/15/2009 Flag

My mom always used soap on those obnoxious things.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By (Guest Post) 02/16/2009 Flag

Vasoline works well on a stuck metal zipper. it needs very little.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes