Eating Canned Sardines - Categories:

Food InfoFood Tips

Eating Canned Sardines

Since canned sardines are supposed to be healthful, I decided to learn how to enjoy them. My only memories are of the ghastly, stinky ones my father used to enjoy. OMG, how they would pollute the kitchen air! And if this grand experiment didn't work, the dog would be the lucky recipient.

I googled, "How to eat sardines" and came up with a very useful site which gave me plenty of ideas. It is:

I condensed their suggestions into a couple of pages of notes, and will keep them as a handy reference. My first voyage into sardineland was a complete success. As I say this, please note that I have a terrible cold and can barely taste anything. However, I think I have found a winner here. The Dollar General store had a can of sardines (headless, I am happy to report) Majestica Lightly Smoked Sardines in oil. The label did not indicate the absence of heads. The contents were: sardines, soybean oil and salt. Other cans had MSG - so beware and read those labels!

Anyway, the smell was reasonable (not like I recall from years ago). I toasted half of a whole wheat pita, stuffed it with some thinly sliced onion and sardines. Yummy. Gave the dog the oil from the can and a few sardines on the side. He was so happy to have them that he tried to get the previously rinsed tin out of the lidded kitchen trash can (a new dog trick we are going to discourage pronto).

I read an article elsewhere which indicated sardines packed in olive oil are high in Omega 6 fats and should this be your only source of fat, it's fine, but if you get plenty of other fats, please be sure to drain them! Some of the people in the chowhound commentary mash the sardines up with the oil, but remember, fat is fat! Omega 3 fats are good for you, but modern technology still can not totally separate the Omega 3's from the 6's and the 9's. Nordic Naturals omega 3 fish oil probably has the best technology for the separation (in case you were wondering, now that you felt virtuous about buying cheap fish oil from your local discount store).

By Holly from Richardson, TX

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

My partner eats the stinky little buggers often, & they SURE DO stink up the WHOLE place! (but the cat absolutely loves them!) If it were me, I'd forget about the sardines & eat another healthy sea food, like canned salmon or even buy fish oil in capsules or take organic flax oil to get your omega 3's! Unless you really love the little "stinkers" then why eat them when there's so many other healthy alternatives!?

I too grew up with a dad that loved sardines. I loved them and still do, and so does my husband! I like to eat them on crackers, but my husband makes a bread spread out of them. He mushes them up with butter and deli mustard and spreads it on bread. I don't care for it that way but he loves it. LOL Enjoy your sardines!

Oddly enough, I feel better when I have the sardines. They must be giving me something lacking in my diet.

Hope it continues.

I am worried about eating any kind of fish anymore that come from China because of he lead, so I would look for their origin.

I love 'em--eat them right out of the can sprinkled with a little cider vinegar. Also have to have a couple of hunks of Rye-Krisp and some sliced canned beets--also right out of the can. (Come to think of it, lots of things taste ever so much better right out of the can--corn, spinach, green beans, pork & beans--so uncivilized and downright delicious!) My husband and mother think sardines are disgusting, but I just munch away. Watching them grimace is a large part of the fun!

sardinesociety.blogspot.com

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food InfoDecember 17, 2008
Bored Kid at a Restaurant
Keep Children Entertained When Eating Out
Canned Pumpkin
Uses for Canned Pumpkin
Open can of tuna.
Draining Canned Tuna
Couple being served a Salad
Eating Healthy While Eating Out
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 7:05:28 PM on 10.0.1.174 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.