AdviceRecipes

Recipes Using Sardines

I have bought a couple of cans of sardines and would like to know what I can make with them. I usually use salmon and tuna but the calcium in sardines is high as well. I have high cholesterol and am looking at ways of lowering it. I only buy water pack fish.

Thanks,
Susan from Hamilton, Ontario

I love sardines, and really enjoy eating them as follows:
toast some rye/whole grain bread, put pieces of sardines on top, then squeeze some lemon juice over the sardines, add some cucumbers (and tomatoes and/or onions if you like), and then eat away.
It is easy to put together, tastes great, (and quite a cheap, healthy meal.

Just plain sardines and crackers are my favorite way of eating them. I sometimes even skip the crackers and eat the 'dines straight from the can. Mmm, Mmm Good!

Sardines and Pasta
Saute 2 or 3 cloves of garlic and one -half chopped onion and one stalk of chopped celery in 3 tbsps. olive oil, in a large pan. Add 1 can sardines. (remove bones) Salt and Pepper. (Optional additions, 1/2 tsp hot pepper flakes.2 anchovy filets) Meanwhile cook 1 pound pasta; linquini or spaghetti, etc. When the pasta is almost cooked, add some of that cooking liquid into the saute pan. Drain the pasta and add to the pan. Stir. Top with Parmesan or Romano cheese. Very thrifty, tasty. and Italian.

I'm not one who likes sardines, but my husband likes them with crackers and hot sauce. He's to eat them, when I'm not home, lol.

I buy canned salmon and canned mackeral. I've had pals put me down for buying canned mackeral, as they refer to it as "dog food". But when my husband & I were 1st married, we couldn't afford canned salmon. So my Aunt gave me advice on buying canned mackeral, for making the "salmon" croquettes or cakes, that I was used to making while living at home with my parents. She said to buy the canned mackeral (much cheaper than canned salmon), drain the liquid from the fish. Flake the mackeral in a bowl, mix the same as I would if it were canned salmon, but to add a couple or so teaspoonfuls of prepared mustard, as it would take away the fishy taste of the mackeral. Fry in hot cooking oil, till golden brown. Place on paper towel lined plate or serving dish. Now, I hardly buy canned salmon anymore, unless I can find it on sale for .99 cents a can (that's a good sale price for around here, it's normally almost $3.00 a can. I'd imagine that you could use the same recipe with sardines, if you had enough to cook with.

we use chopped cilantro, minced garlic, and fresh lemon juice to marinate over sardines.

Sardines and a bit of vinegar on toast is wicked.

Curry with sardines is great. I use the ones in water. You need a small amount of oil or non fat cooking spray. Then fry chopped onion ( usually use 2 medium) with about 1-2 Tbsp. of curry powder, 2 cloves of garlic crushed and diced raw potatoes ( about 2-3 depending how many you are feeding. When these are a bit cooked add sardines. Add about 1/2 cup water and cook about 15 minutes.