Vote for this contest contender!
Empanada is a type of pie filled with meat and vegetables. Usually empanadas are deep fried but my version of it is a simple, and a little cheaper. It's baked and instead of using pie crust I was able to make bread dough without yeast!
So, find out how I made this amazing empanada bread.
- 1 can sardines in tomato sauce
- 2-3 Tbsp sandwich spread
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- butter for greasing
- pinch of fine salt for garnish
- Start with the filling by simply mixing sardines and the sandwich spread. Set aside.
- For the bread, mix the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Add in oil, blend into the dry mixture.
- Pour in water gradually. Take note that it is important to add water just little by little to achieve the consistency of the dough.
- Grease hands with butter or oil to avoid dough from sticking into your hands.
- Knead for a short while just to coat the mixture evenly.
- Take a small ball out of the dough and flatten it into a plate.
- Fill it with sardines mixture.
- Fold the dough to cover the filling and seal the edges using a fork.
- Place bread into a greased pan and garnish with melted butter and a pinch of fine salt.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 180 C.
- Serve hot!
Note: If there's a leftover filling, just heat it in a saucepan until it simmers and serve as Empanada dip.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!