General AdviceConsumer Advice

Elevating a Dish Above the Microwave Turntable

I have a microwave with a turntable that can't be turned off. I have a casserole dish that I can't use because it is too big to turn with the turntable. Is there a way that I can use something safely to elevate it a bit so it doesn't sit on the turntable? It did not come with a rack like some microwaves do. Thanks.

By mkymlp from PA

You should be able to remove the turntable. Then you'll need to cover the little "post" in the middle.

Try something wide & shallow - maybe a smaller casserole dish or a glass pie plate or shallow soup bowl.

This will cover up the part that turns and give you a good base to rest the larger dish on.

The book that came with my GE microwave, says that by no means should it be operated without the turntable. Couldn't you use a smaller pan?

Maybe you could remove your glass plate microwave turn table and sit glass coffee mugs (4) one in each corner and they would clear the wheel that turns and let your 4 corners of your long square glass dish your meal will be in rest its each corner on the 4 mugs, as long as the height is correct it might work.

I use a microwaveable dinner plate turned over to lift dishes up just a bit. I use it for microwave popcorn as well, to give the waves better circulation in there.

Just leave the turn table in BUT turn it upside down! This works.