How Economical Is It To Pressure Can Food?

I already can in a water bath. I get as much produce out of my garden as I can and go to a place that sells canning veggies pretty darn cheap. I make salsas, ketchup, relish, spaghetti sauce, etc, and know this is economical. I want to buy a pressure canner at Walmart for about $60. I know it is far from the best on the market, but it is rated safe. What I want to know is: how economical is it to pressure can?

A lot of the things I would need to do this don't come out of my garden, things like meat. If you are on a very low budget and you pressure can, please give me a few pointers. (recipes too?) I have good instructions for canning safely already. Thank you!

By Copasetic 1 from North Royalton, OH

My mother cans with a pressure cooker. I've heard her tell many people including my sister, "If you want to can get a Blue Book by Ball; it tells you how to do the whole shootin' match."

Jackie Clay, of Backwoods Home Magazine fame, has two great cookbooks out for WB & pressure canning that are to die for! She cans pretty much anything: cheese, milk, venison, fish, soups, bacon, soup stock, veggies, large bulk canned foods broken down into easier to manage contents (yes, done safely). She's a treasure for saving those extra pennies, and even $$! Go to BHM for her blog and newsletter.

Yes, you can save a fortune using a pressure canner! Plus your food is fixed the way you want it. (Less sugar, salt, preservatives.) And you can open a jar of meat, a jar of potatoes, etc and have a meal in minutes! Ball Blue Book is an excellent source for recipes, so is Farmers Home Freezing and Canning book. Or if you want contact me, I will share some.

I would go ahead and do this. There is so much that people do water bath canning for that really should be pressure canned. When it comes down to safety, you can't go overboard.

This is very economica! You not only put up the vegetables, etc, fresher but may can them as you like them. Such as adding spices and other flavors to your jars before canning. You can adjust to your tastes. I have been using a pressure canner for 50 years and recommend it to anyone that can stay with the canner while canning. I not only can veggies but venison, beef and pork. Some things I don't like canned. Lima beans, corn and cabbage family vegetables go into the freezer.

When canning venison and beef, I add 1/8 tsp of black pepper to the pint of beef as well as 1/2 tsp of salt, cover with water to neck of jar, and place cap and ring on jar. Do not over fill jars with meat. As the meat begins to heat it swells.

You may find the Extension Agent in your area may have lots of information about pressure canning.

Food and Recipes CanningDecember 30, 2010
Pressure Washing a House
Pressure Washing Your House
Pressure Cooker on White Background
Using A Pressure Cooker
Open Pressure Cooker
Removing Pressure Cooker Gasket Odor
Blood Pressure Reducing Breakfast
Naturally Reducing Blood Pressure