Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Skin So Soft as an Insect Repellent

Will Skin So Soft keep mosquitoes away?

By Marg from Labrador City NL, CA

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Annie Rios Hill [12]08/30/2010

It works wonders for me and others I know swear by it. Also my friend has fleas from cats and I get horrid bites. So when I know I am going to stop in at her place. I put SSS original and place on my ankles all around and my arms and hands and no bites. I also do this when outside in Missouri for mosquitoes, no see-ums and all other biters. Try it!

By Louise B. [4]08/29/2010

No. Neither does the Listerine sprayed around. Although I'll bet the skin-so-soft smells better. If that stuff worked, it would be sold as repellent.

By Patricia Eldridge08/26/2010

It doesn't work at my house.

By Duane De Vries [1]08/25/2010

Had no effect on me or any member of my family other than to make them feel 'slippery'.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Repellent Made From Skin So Soft

I saw a repellent or something to that was made from Avon's Skin So Soft and some other ingredients. Can anyone get me the recipe for it please. I thought it could be used to keep the fleas off you but I'm just not sure. Thanks.

Shawna from Pittsburg

RE: Repellent Made From Skin So Soft

I have used just the "Skin So Soft" product by itself. Keeps mosquitoes away for sure. don't know about fleas! Try it alone -- no other ingredients needed! (09/15/2008)

By Linda

RE: Repellent Made From Skin So Soft

I don't know about a recipe, but I used to use Avon's Skin So Soft Bath Oil on my son because the fleas bothered him so. I would just put some in my hand and rub it on him. It has a strong smell, but it worked for him. There are a lot of "Skin So Soft" products, so be sure it's bath oil and not lotion or something else. (09/15/2008)

By Linda in Alabama

RE: Repellent Made From Skin So Soft

I mix 1/4 skin so soft and 3/4 rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle to use as mosquito repellant. It works very well in mosquito infested Florida! (09/15/2008)

By st. pete Ken

RE: Repellent Made From Skin So Soft

You don't need to mix it with anything all by itself it does repel flies and gnats and yes, fleas also. (09/21/2008)

By denise w

Archive: Skin So Soft as an Insect Repellent

The Avon Skin So Soft bath oil is a terrific alternative to using an aerosol bug repellent. The skeeters absolutely hate the smell and stay away. Simply wipe on exposed skin areas with a piece of paper towel and you're bug free.

Source: Trial and Error while living in a forested area

By Mlina from Amherstburg, ON

RE: Skin So Soft As Insect Repellent

I know for a fact that it's a great tick repellent. (10/16/2009)

By Hate Litter

I am trying to mix the Skin So Soft with another ingredient and I am not sure what it is. My neighbor used it as a bug repellent and I bought some Skin So Soft for my family and it works great. Does anyone know what you mix it with to make the bug repellent?

By Arlene from KY

RE: Skin So Soft as an Insect Repellent

No, it works all by itself. (05/09/2010)

By notwrong

RE: Skin So Soft as an Insect Repellent

I have read and heard many places and times that all on its own it is an insect repellent. (05/09/2010)

By Robyn Fed

RE: Skin So Soft as an Insect Repellent

Nothing needs to be added, it turned out to work as good as a bug repellent on its own. Enjoy. It's great stuff for kids, too. (05/09/2010)

By Suntydt

RE: Skin So Soft as an Insect Repellent

There is no need to mix anything with it. Mosquitoes are not just attracted to you from the CO2 you breathe out, but more so from other gases emitted from your skin. The Skin So Soft masks the gases so mosquitoes are not attracted to you. (05/12/2010)

By larflu

RE: Skin So Soft as an Insect Repellent

You don't have to mix it with anything. Any of the Skin So Soft products will work as long as it is Original Scent. (05/19/2010)

By debpay

RE: Skin So Soft as an Insect Repellent

Ticks don't get on me when I rub some Avon's Skin So Soft bath oil on my skin. I use it when I'm picking up litter on the roadside. (05/19/2010)

By Hate Litter

I need a recipe for using Avon Skin So Soft as a mosquito repellent. Thank you.

By Marsha from Lavina, MT

RE: Skin So Soft as an Insect Repellent

It doesn't work! Skeeters love the taste and will chase you down as dinner if you're wearing it. I've spoken to numerous people and I can't find anyone for whom this worked. I think it's just a marketing ploy for Avon. (06/29/2010)

By readingiggits

RE: Skin So Soft as an Insect Repellent

Soft Skin used out of the bottle is supposed to be a repellent. But mosquitoes are drawn to the carbon dioxide ( Co2) that people exhale. I don't think Soft Skin hides the Co2. (06/29/2010)

By foxrun41

RE: Skin So Soft as an Insect Repellent

They sell skin so soft in spray bottles if not find a spray bottle transfer to one and spry full strength on body it will not hurt you, they use it to take a bath in to soften your skin. Works great for keeping insects off you (07/07/2010)

By marlene33