Removing Silly Putty Stains from Microfiber

Category Furniture
red putty egg
Silly putty is a favorite toy for many kids. It can be tough to get stains from silly putty our of fabric, especially microfiber. This is a guide about removing silly putty stains from microfiber.

I need help removing silly putty form microfiber.

By Dee from LA

Answers

I Googled the manufacturer. However, they had suggestions on how to clean several types of surfaces. They didn't list microfiber, so I chose upholstery. If you get on line with them, you'll see more.

How to remove Silly Putty® from upholstery:

<p>Cleaning Materials

dull knife or metal spoon

WD-40® (car part lubricant)

cotton balls

rubbing alcohol

soft cloth

liquid dish soap

Stain Removal Tips

Scrape excess Silly Putty with a dull knife or metal spoon. Spray with WD-40 and let stand a few minutes. Again, scrape excess Silly Putty with dull knife or metal spoon. Respray with WD-40 and wipe stain with cotton balls. If any stain remains, saturate a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol, blot the stain and rinse. Wipe any remaining residue or remaining stain with a damp sponge or cloth moistened with liquid dish soap.

Please Note:

The suggestions for removing stains have been compiled as a service to our consumers. We are unable to guarantee or be responsible for the results obtained by these procedures. You may also wish to consult your local cleaner for further recommendations.

Before attempting the stain removal method, test each procedure on an inconspicuous area of the material or surface to be cleaned. Please be advised these stain removal methods involve hazardous products and are intended only for adult use. Crayola does not recommend children attempt these procedures.

In many procedures, specific brands of products are recommended. These are brands that performed most effectively in our laboratory. Always check individual containers for recommended procedures and warnings. Competitive brand products may work equally well.

This is what I got when I Googled:

Binney & Smith, manufacturer of Silly Putty, make over 20000 "eggs" a day at it's plant in Pennsylvania. That translates into 600 pounds of Silly Putty each.

www.sillyputty.com/silly_science/science_faqs.htm - Cached - Similar

Good luck!

It didn't work.

Goo Gone works quite well in removing silly putty from fabric.

How do I remove silly putty from a microfiber couch?

By Karen

My cousin's lovely children were over last night and got silly putty on our brand new microfiber couch! It is a light beige color, and what we are left with is 5 to 6 small spots that won't lift off. I am afraid to try the WD-40 route as it may stain.

Thank you!
Tanya from Green Bay, WI

Answers:

Silly Putty on Microfiber

You might try freezing it with a piece of ice. Maybe it will then just brush off. In the past I have "blotted" silly putty spots with the remainder of the putty and it pulled it right off. Good luck. (01/07/2006)

By crazybrunette64

Silly Putty on Microfiber

I used Oxi-clean on my boyfriend's silly putty mess on my microfiber couch after scraping as much as I could off. Worked great for me. (02/10/2007)

By Melissa in CA

Silly Putty on Microfiber

We just had this disaster happen at our house! We found the ice it/freeze it method worked great. We froze what was left after scraping with fingernails, and then we used a credit card to loofah the rest. Worked great. (06/18/2007)

By alli

Silly Putty on Microfiber

Ice worked great for me too. I was afraid to use other things because of staining. My silly putty was not in clumps, it was stringy. I would ice it and then scrape it off with a butter knife. It worked great for me. (03/09/2008)

By MICHEJSHE

Silly Putty on Microfiber

The only solution is this, for all silly putty related stains. First coat it in flour, not too much but just a little, freeze it with either ice, ice pack, or any way you can get cold on a surface. Then simply peel it off. (06/28/2008)

By Cheril Sandres