Kitten Peeing on Clothing

Why does my young kitten pee on my clothes instead of her litterbox? Also, how can I stop it?

By Stephanie L from Columbia, MD

Hey there is one solution spray your clothes with orange spray or this is what I do buy orange scented dryer sheets. All cats hate orange.

She/He may be marking you. Get the cat fixed. If it is a female, she will be going into heat and will spray everything. My kitten started peeing on our clothes and all over the house. We got her fixed and she stopped marking her scent. Hope this helps.

I have this problem with a rescue cat I got in April. She is fixed, has been through several owners and was abandoned by the last one. I have two dogs so I assumed she was doing it because she hates them.

Now I am getting confused as to what the reason it. I put the dogs in the yard 3 weeks ago when the weather turned hot. No a/c in here so they are better outside under the trees. I actually spend half the day out there with them LOL.

Anyway Miss Kitty still won't leave the living room/kitchen area. She did crawl under the door to the storage room and pee in every box she found. Tons of craft stuff ruined.

I have blocked that off so now she mostly sits up in the windows - mostly on the backside by the woods where there is shade all day and she can glare at the dogs. She refuses to go outside. If I take her out on the deck she flies back in and straight back to "her spot" above the kitchen sink.

I really freaked yesterday when I found her squatting and peeing in the kitchen sink - ON TOP OF THE DIRTY DISHES!!!!

She has two litter boxes - one scoopable, one shredded paper, I'm trying everything - and I clean them every single day. She uses them and yet I spot her squatting in the corners of my chairs, any open box (I covered one with plastic trash bags - she is squatting on that) and lots of other places. She even peed on my mail on the kitchen table a few weeks ago.

I have to admit I am at wits end. I am disabled and can barely take care of myself. I have never had to work so hard for a cat in my life and not sure I can keep it up much longer. There is just too much daily cleaning involved.

It has been over 3 months and I can't figure out what to do. I don't want to send her back to the shelter. I think she is about out of strikes there plus I think part of her bad behavior is just like a foster kid passed around. She is mad at everyone. I am hoping if I keep petting and spoiling her she will stop being so ornery.

Oh, about that box with the plastic bag on top. I was holding down the bag with two containers of old bath salts with no lids. One was Tropical Splash and the other Orange Spice so the orange wasn't bothering her. *sigh*

What has always worked for my kittens is Dr. Elsey's Kitten Attract Litter. I buy a bag at Petsmart and it gets them to go in the litter box. When they are trained I gradually change from the more expensive Cat Attract Litter to regular litter(which is less expensive) by diluting the Cat Attract litter with more and more regular litter over a period of weeks. Until I'm using only regular litter and they are trained! At first they may try to eat it so I put them into the box and watch them to clear their mouths if they try to swallow it.