Removing Ethanol Odors from Clothing

How can I get the smell of ethanol out of my husband's work clothes and then out of my washer?

By Racheal from Ashland, KY

Best Answer

Murphy's Oil Soap. I learned this trick when my ex was a dump truck driver.

Best Answer

Do not use Fabreze. It is made with ethanol. I would wash with baking soda disolved in hot water, but cold water for the wash. Let it sit. I put mine in the wash, let it fill up, agitate for about 10 minutes, than shut it off. My washer is in the bathroom so I run it everytime I go in there for the next couple of hours. Before it rinses, I add a cup of vinegar, run it, let it sit. Than rinse it.

Good luck with it.

Ethanol is a neurotoxin. It causes brain damage for me. It makes my motor-controls not work correctly.

If it were me, to clean your washer I would run the machine without clothes for 2 or 3 cycles & include bleach & twice the amount of laundry soap in hot water. You may want to add a large pan or two of boiling water to the hot tap water...

For the clothes, I would re-wash them (after the washer is clean!) then hang them outside in the fresh air & hot midday sun. The UV rays should help to remove the odor.

ALSO: If you know someone with an ozone-based air cleaner, you can run it in a tiny room (like a laundry room) or in a closet with the clothes hanging near the ozone air cleaner. I would also add Febreeze. They make one kind to add to the wash & one type to spray on the clothes.

* As you do these things, be sure to also turn the clothes inside-out so the sun, the ozone & the Febreeze get to the inside as well.

---> There is another thing you could TRY, I don't know if it will work & it may sound strange, but after we had a house fire, the cleaning pros were brought in by our insurance company & the told us to wash our clothes & other washables with one can of regular Coca-Cola added to each wash-load to remove the smell of smoke. I was totally amazed when this worked & no trace of the nasty smoke smell was left! ... I don't know if Coke removes other smells besides smoke (house fire, cigarette, campfire, etc) but it's worth a try! ... You need to use regular Coke, NOT diet-coke & I don't if a generic brand will work, so stick with the "real thing"!

CHECK THIS OUT: (Crazy uses for Coca-Cola)

* After you read the info in this URL, you may want to clean your washer with the stuff! (Coke) but remember, the smell is also coming from down INSIDE the washer's drum where the water goes & you can't see.

I'm not sure if this will work for Ethanol, but I do this to get diesel fumes out of my husband's clothes. Put about 1 cup of orange scented cleaner in with the clothes when you wash. I have used both orange scented Pine-sol and Orange Glo cleaner. It worked great for diesel odors!

Stinky Laundry In Washing Machine with Man Holding Nose
Removing Odors from Clothing
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsMay 18, 2010
Work Clothing
Cleaning Fuel Odors From Clothing
Basket of musty smelling clothing.
Removing Musty Smell from Clothing
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
can of denatured alcohol and terrycloth rag
Cleaning with Denatured Alcohol