AutoCleaning

Cleaning a Car Damaged By Fire

Category Auto

The inside of my van caught fire, which has left smoke damage. What cleaning materials can I use to remove it?

By Bev from England

After washing as best you can, go to a Industrial supply store and get a liquid you can use in a sprayer and follow the directions, will remove any odors.

Try Murphys oil soap. I have used it on wood furniture that had been in a fire and it took the smell away completely. Good luck!

In the U.S., we have professional companies that do clean up for water and smoke (and presumeably fire damage as well). Ask them what they use, or go into a shop like that (if there is one near you) and look around to see if they have any products they promote. Even if you don't buy those, you can get cheaper versions elsewhere...

Try hints from Heloise http://www.heloise.com/ I think she may be the only person who has more useful tips than my beloved (but now departed) Grams. Good luck, and make sure your van is safe to drive...

Also, maybe if you look into the archives of the 'How Clean Is Your House' show (I love those ladies), they might have tips, too.

Our car was damaged by a fire. It is salvageable, but the interior is terrible. What can we do about the charred smell?

J from Sevierville, TN

Answers:

Cleaning a Car Damaged By Fire

Just place a bag of apples in the car. They absorb the smoke smell. (11/07/2006)

By Tedebear