Rice Remedy for an Upset Stomach

A very good idea for an upset stomach. Boil a 1/2 cup of rice with 2 cups water until done. Drain off liquid, let it cool and drink it.

By Kathleen from Dothan, AL

I have been using this remedy for years and can affirm that this does actually work!

It helps dogs too who also get an upset tum!

Monique :)

Dumb question! Drink the liquid you drain off or the rice?

Thank you! I'm anxious to try.

I believe that you are supposed to drink the rice water after it has cooled down.

This is indeed an OLD OLD home remedy. My father-in - law told me about it for our babies years ago. I also made it for him when he was ill. Coming up 57 years. How time flies. Yes, it is also good for dogs, add a little rice and the rice water to their food. Used it many times for our doxies. GG Vi

This is a good idea with the rice water, and I wouldn't have thought of it. You can also eat the rice, because it's part of the BRAT diet: Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, and Toast. My doctor recommended BRAT when I had gastroenteritis, and it was the only thing I could keep down for almost a whole month until the illness worked its way out of my system.

There's not nearly enough protein in the BRAT diet, but if you can keep down a little chicken broth (I had ramen -- hey, it was college), or maybe a LITTLE ground lamb boiled in with the rice, that will help too. I say lamb because unlike beef, it's very gentle on the system, as meats go.

Woman with an upset stomach.
Remedies for an Upset Stomach
Health & Beauty Home RemediesFebruary 10, 2009
Woman with Stomachache
Avoiding an Upset Stomach
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Side of Spanish rice.
Making Spanish Rice in the Rice Cooker
A plate of cooked brown rice.
Cooking Brown Rice in a Rice Cooker