Drink Through A Straw To Help An Upset Stomach

When suffering from an upset stomach and you have to have something to drink, sip through a straw. Doing this will cut down on the air that gets to the stomach. I have noticed less vomiting when sipping instead of drinking.

Source: My family doc

By Janette from Parkersburg, WV

Also make sure liquid is luke warm. Hot or cold can be more upsetting to stomach.

The straw suggestion is a great one which I will try. Here are a few of my favorite digestive aids: Dill, Fennel, Vinegar, Vitamin C solutions:

1) Dill seed, chewed, will relax the stomach and allow gas to burp up. This is a lifesaver. Chew a few dill seeds. Or, throw dill seed into a cup of hot water; just a few sips or even a teaspoon of dill tea will bring up that gas and relief.

Carry dill seeds in a small packet of foil with you at all times. Any herb would probably work, but dill seed and

2) fennel seed are well known for their properties. I think mint or peppermint, maybe even lemon balm, would also help.

3) Lately I've been sipping vinegar-water as a digestive aid.

4) I've discovered that vitamin C crystals in water provide a little stomach acid for me to digest, as well.

My gastroenterologist has told me just the opposite. If you'll notice, when you use a straw, the part of the straw above the surface of the drink is filled with air. You take that in before any liquid comes up the straw. My doc says never use a straw if you have problems with gas or indigestion. Also, chewing gum is not a good idea either, since you tend to take in lots of air when you do.

Just thought I'd throw my two cents worth in on this one. I've really found straws to be a problem for me.

I am surprised at this because when you suck a straw you suck up air. This is why when you have surgery the nurse/doctor will tell you not to use a straw during your recovery time. I have had a few surgeries and was told this. I do not use a straw at all anymore and have noticed I don't have the gas or indigestion that I use to have.

Health & Beauty Home RemediesFebruary 12, 2012
📓
🎂
🌻