Removing Wax Finish from Hardwood Floors

We have a wood floor with a very thin and very worn polyurethane finish, but we inadvertently cleaned the floor with a product that is a "light wax". Now the floor is super slippery. We've gone over it a couple of times with a water-based cleaner, but it isn't helping. Since we have only used the wax-based product once, I can't imagine that we need to strip the floor. Can anyone recommend a product or technique that will help us to remove the thin layer of wax that is on the floor?

C.I.A. from Orange County, CA

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Murphy's soap is best - vinegar and water is good too OR get a hot water cleaner for floors (like a carpet shapmooer)

GOOD LUCK

ANNA

I am having this problem with my laminate wood floors, and all advice points to amonia to REALLY clean off build up and vinegar and water for mild clean ups.

February 8, 2008 Flag

Does anyone know how to remove the wax finish that the Halloway House Quick Shine leaves on your hardwood floors. My floor is very blotchy from the wax build up and looks terrible. Is there something easy that I can use? My kit did not come with the wax remover, so I don't have any at home.

petsr4keeps

Answers:

White vinegar in a spray bottle...spray and mop. (01/26/2008)

By Karen

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning FloorsFebruary 16, 2009
Red Chair on Hardwood Floor
Keeping Furniture from Sliding on Hardwood Floors
Someone mopping hardwood floors
Cleaning Hardwood Floors
Hardwood Floors
Making Hardwood Floors Less Slippery
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors, Broken glass of red wine on wood floor.
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 5:38:59 PM on 10.0.1.73 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.