Use Crock Pot to Make Applesauce

It is so nice to have apple season approaching. What to do with all those apples? An easy way to make a very sensible applesauce or apple butter is to use your crock pot. No sugar is necessary here, just peel (or partially peel) your apples. Slice in chunks and place them high into your crock pot, add a bit of cinnamon, or even a dash of nutmeg, and cook on low until this has reached your desired consistency. Use or freeze leftover applesauce.

This is also a fantastic way to do up strawberries. Again, no sugar added, cooking up the cleaned strawberries in your crock pot produces the most delicious strawberry jam, all without sugar. You can also add this to your homemade yogurt for a delicious treat.

Source: My frugal daughters

By Karen from Davis, CA

I think applesauce or apple butter needs some sugar. Just don't overdo it. And don't put it on low overnight, thinking it will be ok till morning. I did that and had to take a hammer and chisel to get the apples out of the crock pot. Lol.

October 10, 2011 Flag
Super easy to make and so good!

• apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped
  • 4 cups sugar, or less
  • 4 tsp. cinnamon
  • Ad
  • 1/4 tsp. cloves
  • 1/4 tsp. salt

Fill crock pot heaping full of chopped apples. (Lid may not fit at start, but apples will shrink as cooked.) Drizzle sugar, cinnamon, cloves and salt over apples. Cover and cook on high setting 1 hour. Lower heat and cook all day, until thick and dark in color. Stir occasionally. Place in jars and seal or cool and freeze. If you don't think it's smooth enough, put into the blender for a few seconds.

Servings: varies
Prep Time: 10-15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 12-18 Hours

By Robin from Washington, IA

I can't wait to try this. I have been wanting apple butter lately. Now I'm heading for the store to get some apples.

This does sound easy and I am all for easy. Putting it on my try list.

Homemade applesauce.
Slow Cooker Applesauce Recipes
Food and Recipes Food Tips Crockpot CookingAugust 18, 2010
simmering crock pot
Cleaning a Crock Pot
Canning Applesauce
Canning Applesauce
crochet strap for Crock Pot lid
Making a Crochet Crock Pot Strap