Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Food Sticking to Stainless Steel Skillet

I brought a 10' stainless steel skillet from Bed, Bath and Beyond for $25.99. Does anyone know why it sticks while I am frying in it? There's more batter stuck in the pan than on the fish when I'm done. Please help.

Onesummer

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By gf07/19/2009

Pico! Thank you!

Hey everyone, Pico's post is the trick. I did exactly as Pico said and voila! No stick!
Heat the pan first, put the oil in, swirl it around the bottom, and add your food. The food slid around on the bottom of the pan just as if it were Teflon-coated! I am the worse cook on the planet, and have extremely little patience. This worked and made my day, so I just had to post it :D.

Here is Pico's post:
The trick to having a pan that doesn't stick, is to heat the pan first, just the dry pan no butter or oil. You know when the pan is hot enough, when you add the butter or oil, it spits. Lift the pan a little and swirl the butter around the bottom of the pan and add your food. It won't stick. This is for all kinds of frying pans from stainless steel to cast iron.
The pan should be on high heat but not high enough that the element is bright red. A medium high heat.

By Charlotte (Guest Post)01/15/2009

I finally learned to use a stainless steel skillet when I read that the highest heat you should ever use for stainless steel frying is the Medium setting. Medium means "high" for stainless steel. Once I knew this, I LOVE my stainless steel skillet. So long as the base is flat, it doesn't have to be expensive.

By Holly [350]01/14/2009

Correction: base not flat, not base on flat!

By Holly [350]01/14/2009

If it's a dud of a skillet (base on flat), preheating won't help. I got rid of one because of that.

By joanie massey [7]01/14/2009

Heat the skillet BEFORE you add the oil.

By LEONA LABINE [40]01/13/2009

By Madeline (Guest Post)01/13/2009

I have stainless cook ware also I have the waterless cookware from west bend. Have had them for around 25 years. And you are not alone everything sticks, doesn't matter what I did.

By Cindy from Australia (Guest Post)01/13/2009

I have 3 stainless steel pans. The secret is to heat the pan hot before adding oil. Once the pan is hot, add some oil, then add food. You may have to soak a few minutes with water after use, but it won't be a cement morter on the bottom.

By (Guest Post)01/13/2009

To the poster that cooks with aluminum: I have heard that cooking in aluminum is dangerous because of lead content. You might want to do some research on that.

By Holly [350]01/13/2009

A "a 10' stainless steel skillet for $25.99" is actually cheap cookware.

Try investing in a heavier pan with a reputable name. Figure you are going to pay slightly south of $100 at a non-discount store.

I understand that $25.99 is a lot of money, but you get what you pay for in cookware.

Check out a discount store like Ross, Marshalls, or a similar genre store for a good bargain in cookware. You won't find a complete set, but if all you need is a skillet, then you won't mind a 50% savings (even if it doesn't match your other cookware)!! Sometimes the store stock is depleted; occasionally you'll be there when they just received a shipment.

If you know how to cook and that skillet from BBB is sticking, return it and buy another. Chances are you are just stuck with a lemon and nothing you do short of cooking with a very large quantity of oil so that your food is absolutely swimming is going to make it stick less.

By Susan M. [7]01/13/2009

I had a set of stainless steel pans years ago and no matter what I did the food stuck. I tried everything and every food stuck to the bottom. No matter what the food. And they were heavy and hard to clean to boot. One of the happiest days of my life was the day I got rid of those pots and got an aluminum set. I'll NEVER EVER have stainless steel cookware again.

Susan in Omaha

By Joan01/13/2009

I have a Wolfgang Puck set of pans and I love them. I have very little problem with food sticking to them. I do as fionarx suggested..I heat the pan with oil (and it does not have to be a lot, just enough to cover the bottom of the pan) and once the food is in, I leave it be until its time to turn it.

By kat (Guest Post)01/12/2009

My boyfriend got me a pot and pan set for Christmas. His stuff sticks and mine doesn't. Use butter or oil to coat pan. (directions say to do at least once) don't cook food to hot! Food is better when cooked a bit longer anyway as lets flavor mix. also don't use metal appliances(spatula etc) as this scrapes at the teflon which makes burns more likely and teflon to get in your food.

By Holly [350]01/12/2009

I know how to cook, yet have the same problem with a frying pan by Kitchenaid that came as a bonus when we purchased our fridge a long time ago.

By Fionar Booker01/12/2009

Warm the pan a bit, put some good olive oil in and heat the pan over medium high heat until it forms a film. Once you put your food in, leave it alone. The reason food sticks is that we fuss with it and poke and try to turn it too fast. If you let the food crisp up in the hot oil, it will be easy to turn once one side of the fish, meat, etc. is done. If you turn it over too fast, the uncooked portion sticks. I know how tempting it is to see if the bottom is cooked but you have to let it be. I'm a chef. Hope this helps.

By Ariela [31]01/07/2009

I have a whole set of heavy duty stainless steel pans. The brand is
Wolf Gang Puck.. I got them off QVC. They say if you use oil and get the pans really hot then add the food that it doesnt stick. Im sorry I got them. Even if I use Pam they stick. I dont use alot of oil like they show to use but if you do, try it they say it stops food from sticking in Stainless Steel. Im looking for a good set of no stick pans.