Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Making Septic Safe Laundry Detergent

Certain cleaning products are not recommended if you are on a septic system. This is a guide about making septic safe laundry detergent.

December 13, 2010 Flag

Is homemade detergent safe for septic systems?

By Jeanne from Hackettstown, NJ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I use Dawn dish soap for regular dirt and Ivory liquid for fine/delicate stuff, we have a "mound" system and our clean out man says ours is always in great shape. Tons cheaper too!

December 13, 2010 Flag

I am planning to make laundry detergent at home using soap, borax and washing soda. I read somewhere that using soap flakes is not good for the septic pipes. Is that true? is there any other way that I can make the detergent at home which I can safely use for newborns clothes, too?

Sweety from VA

Answers:

Grated Soap

I have always used regular ivory or other white soap grated in my laundry soap recipe. My family has sensitive skin so this works best for us. And the clothes come out clean. This would not be any worse on your septic than using it on your body, I do not think.

I never used a special soap for my son's baby clothes. I just washed all of his clothes with ours and he turned out just fine. This was back before I made my own soap though. I was using All free and clear liquid, but it is very expensive. (08/08/2007)

By wendiesioux

Soap

Do you wash you hands with soap? Can the septic system tell the difference if the soap comes from your body or the laundry? You can use any type of soap, it doesn't have to be Fels Naptha. The ingredients are green and are often used in homemade cleaning mixes. They're probably safer than most store-bought detergents. (08/10/2007)

By susanmajp

Ammonia

Pouring ammonia down your drains and running it through your washing machine and dishwasher will break down fats and grease that accumulate in drain pipes. It may not smell the best, but it will work. Ammonia will break down naturally in the septic system anyway. (08/15/2008)

By Larry

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
A washer filled with laundry.
Homemade Laundry Detergent Recipes
Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning Supply Recipes Laundry RecipesMarch 14, 2017
Septic Safe Cleaners
Septic Safe Cleaners
liquid laundry soap
Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent Recipes
Homemade Powdered Laundry Soap - soap in a jar
Homemade Powdered Laundry Soap
A woman smelling fresh laundry.
Make Your Own Laundry Soap With Dish Soap
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 28, 2017 at 5:12:28 AM on 10.0.1.125 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.